I'm struggling to get the EXACT tone i want from the rectifier, seems to be a bit loose, got the bass, but just doesn't seem to be the exact tone i want (think black albumish) I'm using a Maxon OD808 as a gain boost, but still I haven't got the exact tone i want, maybe a bit more playing around.

What do you guys think of the Mark IV, to be honest I'd only use it for high gain stuff, what one do you think is better out of the Mark IV and Triple Rec?
Mark IV completely destroys the Triple Recto, I wouldn't even put the Recto in the same class as it.

And yes, a loose sound is a well know trait of Rectos, if you wanted a tighter sound you should've got something different.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Personally, I'd rather have a Mark IV, because in my limited experience playing both, the Mark is capable of staying pretty tight in all frequency ranges. I wouldn't think you'd need an OD to get Metallica-esque tones from a Mark IV-it should do it on its own. The Mark also has pretty damn good cleans, but it doesn't seem to do the loose growly low end quite like a Recto, but I could live without that, since the Mark IV does everything else reasonably well.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Yup. The Recto has a bit of a loose low end. I like it, but then again I dont play metal or anything like that.
Matrix claw, any suggestions for other amps? Don't get me wrong, the triple rec does sound awesome, just not quite there. I'm thinking of getting some rack eq's and a compressor, see how that works with it
its easier to tighten up a recto than to loosen up a mark iv. the mark iv is extremely tight and very compressed and can make you sound very very bad if you dont know how to play well. idk why everyone raves about it, it seems to be an acquired taste to me. but LoG and john petrucci both use a mark iv for their main distortion channels live.
Well Enough Alone
yeh? any suggestions for tightening up mr recto at all?? yeeeh , also it was hetfields man amp for a while. I do want to stick the recto out, i think it's got the potential with some tweeking
My tubescreamer tightened things up a bit, just set it with drive at 0, level full and tone to taste. I also modded my screamer last night and it made things even tighter... So a pedal mod might be in order before you trade the amp in.
Yeh the Maxon DEFINITELY ands a lot to the sound, if i'm being honest, it probably makes the sound. but yeh, cheers for the suggestion man, what exactly did you do to your pedal?
Quote by guitardude11
The mark iv is extremely tight and very compressed and can make you sound very very bad if you dont know how to play well.

I'm going to have to dissagree. Though it's true to an extent, you can't just cover up your mistakes with loads of gain like other amps, it's not like a Soldano SLO that picks up everything. The Mark IV is an amp that will pick up a lot of your playing characteristics, but won't make you sound worse at all. I could let a beginner play mine and it would make them sound better, not worse.

I do agree that it's hard to make it sound looser like a Recto, but that's not a trait I look for in an amp anyway
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
to be fair, who'd spend ****loads of cash on an amp if you couldn't play!
Quote by ollievk
Yeh the Maxon DEFINITELY ands a lot to the sound, if i'm being honest, it probably makes the sound. but yeh, cheers for the suggestion man, what exactly did you do to your pedal?

Basically my own variation of mod Plus modification, TS808 mod, and some other tweaks. Im probally going to go in it a few more times and replace some stuff with better componets. But all in all i love it. I was also able to mod a MXR Distortion plus and get it really close sound wise to my Modded Tubescreamer as well. But with 3 times more level. And it doesnt effect my Screamer when i have it running at the same time so i can use it as a level boost and have sustain for days... Basically my own cheaper version of running two tube screamers with two different mods in tandum.. Plus it adds a little different tone to the mix when i run both. On a quest for my own tone and boutique pedals and modifications is the only way im gonna get it lol
yeh? sounds awesome man! so you guys reckon Mark IV for metallica black album sound??
Quote by ollievk
yeh? sounds awesome man! so you guys reckon Mark IV for metallica black album sound??

Thanks...

I know were there selling a Mark IIc+ but they want an arm and a leg for it... That will get you the tone right out the box for the most part...
Yeh?? how mucH?? I'm in the uk, so the currency difference works out for me, i'll just have to buy a new transformer, i did that for my recto anyway!