Page 1 of 3
Is it possibly according to the laws of physics (or common sense... either one...) for any two events to occur at the EXACT same time? Or is time infinitely divisible?
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Of course; When you're fapping tonight, there will be at least 10 million guys out there fapping right alongside you.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Err, should I say... Actually, I don't know how to word this. I hope someone actually understands what I'm trying to say.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Sorry, I don't do quantum discussions. Can we talk about sex instead?

~
And for my serious answer- I don't know. And even if I did know, it wouldn't make a difference to anything. I'm not having a go at your for making this thread- I just think that there are some things that don't need to be investigated.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
a can talk and blink at the same time. i can breathe and play guitar at the same time.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Yes, of course. Time isn't owned by individual events.

Edit: Actually, this reminds me. When I walked into the kitchen I was randomly just tapping my knuckles together cos I was bored and my kettle clicked(i.e. stopped boiling) at the exact time they tapped. That was weird.
Last edited by Wratheh at Feb 27, 2008,
Well, from what I gathered, you asked a question related to space, and then a separate question about time being divisible (?).
Quote by The Leader
Of course; When you're fapping tonight, there will be at least 10 million guys out there fapping right alongside you.

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by The Leader
Well, from what I gathered, you asked a question related to space, and then a separate question about time being divisible (?).

Well, if time WERE infinitely divisible, then you can always find a space between two events (or atleast the beginnings of these events) no matter what. They're related.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by Firequacker
Well, if time WERE infinitely divisible, then you can always find a space between two events (or atleast the beginnings of these events) no matter what. They're related.

So what?
Quote by The Leader

Thats very creepy....
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)
depends how rigid you are on what qualifies as exactly the same
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
r u trying to say that everything has like maybe the tiniest fraction of a nano second between them?
thats interesting and kinda makes you think, but i think two things can happen at the same time, but the odds of it occuring at the exxact same moments are quite small
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by The Leader

No, what he means is taking, perhaps, the exact point of climax. Is anyone hitting that point at the same time, or will they allways be a minute fragment of time before or after, and is it possible for it to ever happen in exact syncronisity.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
No, what he means is taking, perhaps, the exact point of climax. Is anyone hitting that point at the same time, or will they allways be a minute fragment of time before or after, and is it possible for it to ever happen in exact syncronisity.

Thank you, omniscient orb of intelligence! That's exactly what I meant.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by Wratheh
So what?

In other words every time a person or object did something every thing else would do nothing but simply be.
which is impossible and absurd.
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)
no time is not infinitely divisible. Time is a dimension governed by the same laws as other dimensions and so is made up of discrete blocks called "planck Lengths", therefore 2 events can happen at EXACTLY the same time.

P.S. A similar concept is also used to solve the achilles and the tortoise riddle

P.P.S. Don't ask badly worded physics questions in the pit only 1/100000000000 people will understand what you want, and if pit-dwellers don't understand they just resrot to comments about masturbation.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
no, because in order for an event to be exactly the same it has to have the exact same item, and the exact same thing cant do two of the exact same physical operations at once.
Quote by rabidguitarist

Of course, for the 10 million guys fapping, there will probably be maybe 2000 simultaneous ejaculations.

...I really picked a great example for this, eh?
Quote by dnjoe

P.P.S. Don't ask badly worded physics questions in the pit only 1/100000000000 people will understand what you want, and if pit-dwellers don't understand they just resrot to comments about masturbation.

Oh you have been here too long.
Quote by dnjoe
no time is not infinitely divisible. Time is a dimension governed by the same laws as other dimensions and so is made up of discrete blocks called "planck Lengths", therefore 2 events can happen at EXACTLY the same time.

P.S. A similar concept is also used to solve the achilles and the tortoise riddle

time is NOT a dimension. mmk? people may think of it that way but it's really not.

i don't understand what you are trying to ask TS.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by rabidguitarist

I thinks its possible I mean if you look at nuclear fusion in power plants millions of atoms are smashing into each other creating energy so I'm sure 4 atom could smash into each other and release energy at the exact same time.
In other words 2 molecular fusions at once. So I think its possible.
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)
Yeah they can, the person with highest health gets the kill though.

(lulz)
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
yes, at this same time how many people are EXACLTY clicking the post button on a forum ?
not many but its absolutly possible

i think you might be confused by the law that 2 solid things cannot ocupy the same time and space
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Quote by Sol9989
time is NOT a dimension. mmk? people may think of it that way but it's really not.

ermmm yes it is, thats the whole principles of general relativity, which was quite recently proved relatively conclusively. We live in an atleast 4-dimensional space.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
Quote by dnjoe

To bad the Plank Length is 1.616252 x 10^-35 meters....

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Planck's quantum theory can be extrapolated to time. And so, one could assume that time is divisible into units along the order of 10 to the negative 34 of some current unit.

Intervals of time are relative, and so absolute time can never really be considered unless both subjects are moving with the same relative velocity to everything else in the system. This is impossible unless they share the exact same space.

And so, unless two occurences happen in the exact same spot in space, they cannot happen at the exact same time in space.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by rabidguitarist

its like people are born everyday and they can be born at the same exact second as another person.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Quote by Firequacker
Is it possibly according to the laws of physics (or common sense... either one...) for any two events to occur at the EXACT same time? Or is time infinitely divisible?

He means is it possible for two things to happen at the same time down to the billionth of a second, or if there is always fractions of a second between the starting time of two events although they might have appeared to start at the same time.

Buy ya i think its possible.
Quote by dnjoe

Just Wikipedia'd the Planck length and it says the minimum length of time is called the Planck time. Is that what you meant?

EDIT: Oh, you mean how the first 3 dimensions have a minimum which is the Planck length, and since the same laws of physics governs all dimensions, you could call the minimum time measurement a "Planck length", in a sense.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by Sol9989

Time is a dimension.

Think about it- if you want to plot your bedroom onto a graph, you need to plot the shapes and forms, which needs X, Y and Z, to be '3D'. Then, for that graph to mimick real life, you need to add T, which will show what is happening, when. Then there are the other axis which I can't be bothered going into.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
in quantum physics, there are what are called quantum particles.
they travel at the speed of light. if you were to release them at the exact same time on two different tracks that start in the same place, split off(one down each path), and come back together to end at the same spot, then they would both arrive at the end at the exact same time, even if one of the paths is several times longer than the other one.
Quote by Firequacker
Just Wikipedia'd the Planck length and it says the minimum length of time is called the Planck time. Is that what you meant?

EDIT: Oh, you mean how the first 3 dimensions have a minimum which is the Planck length, and since the same laws of physics governs all dimensions, you could call the minimum time measurement a "Planck length", in a sense.

Yes.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Well if the universe is infinite, that would mean that there is and infinite amount of people just like you doing them exact same thing at the exact same time.... Right? Because with infinite space comes infinite posibility...
Quote by dnjoe

P.P.S. Don't ask badly worded physics questions in the pit only 1/100000000000 people will understand what you want, and if pit-dwellers don't understand they just resort to comments about masturbation.

I 2nd That!
Depends on what you define as an event. Let's say I play a note on guitar, and my bassist plays a note on bass. We're not going to play the note at the exact same time (we're extremely tight as a band, but there's going to be a few nanoseconds difference), but the notes are going to overlap and difference is negligible, so for our purposes, we hit the note together. So like I said, the events aren't going to START at the same time, but they're going to HAPPEN at the same time, because they'll overlap.
Page 1 of 3