I have an idea, I want to run it by some people who know more than I do before I get started on this, though.

I have an acoustic guitar. I'll start off by saying I don't care much for the thing. I got it at a thrift store for $10, I play bass, and seeing as 2 of the tuners are broken, the thing is just screaming at me to convert it to a bass. I hear it's been done, here's my plan:

Step 1: Buy some cheap parts. I saw a bridge on ebay for $6, a nut for $4.50, both after shipping. A new set of strings will run about $10. I hear that for an acoustic that's being converted, it's better to use light guage string: Is this correct?

Step 2: Remove strings. Put a new paintjob on the body. Anywhere specific I should try to avoid painting? Also, the markings on the fretboard are wrong, (no dot on the 3rd, only one on the 12th). OK to fix these, or should I just leave the fretboard alone?

Step 3: Remove old nut and bridge, replace with new nut and bridge. Seems easy enough.

Step 4: Restring. If I feel the need, I may move the broken tuners around so I don't have 3 strings going one way, and 1 going the other.

Really, this is a project I'm looking to have fun with. I won't really care too much if I mess up my guitar,
you want a low gauge string, because the truss or whatever you call it may not be able to stand up to the bigger strings...
The shorter neck just means that you may have to tune higher than normal to achieve the dasired string tension, however if you can stand the horrible looseness there should be no problem.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
If he uses low enough gauge, they may, depending on the tuners. If the strings don't fit he can just replace the tuners with bass ones.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money