.. i consider him to be one of the best... in the song House of Cards he... well it cant be described.

you have to see this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12TbigLk3Vo

im trying to figure out how he gets that sound

for anyone who knows something about guitars
magic starts at 2:08.. and again at 3:35
im no expert.. but think its NOT some kind of hammer-on with sustainer, notice when he goes over the frets, he lays the pick on the string over the pickup.. you can barly see the pedals he uses.. it could be some sort of harmonics technique

if anyone notices something .. share

i know he ocassionaly bangs at the body of the guitar to create resonance (vibration to the wood) in order to produce the sound without having to strum, or pick the strings... creating soft, smooth and peakless sounds...
Don't know if this helps, but he IS using a quid to pick in the house of cards vid.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
I think he's scratching the side of the coin on the string as it produces a note. Moving the position of the coin on the string will change the pitch.
i tried this with a 2p, its quite good, like a slide effect. i think it would be better with delay and reverb though. might account for nude too
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.