Page 1 of 2
werd but you fail to explain why... also the retail price .. yea i know its the makers listing price but it still owns the black heart ... and yes me likey Blackheart
They made a spelling error on the Blackheart description. It's radii, not radiuses.

It looks like you can get a lot more for the money with the Blackheart. Plus, Gibson doesn't really make any real amps besides some cheap ones that probably suck compared to others in the price range.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
whats the reasoning behind this talk also this is a sick picture

what u guys think of this wiring , cant really tell tubes
blackheart is has a crisper and looks sexyer tho but the controls don't do anything only the bass and epi valve jr is warm and smoother.
Quote by GoldenTrees
werd but you fail to explain why... also the retail price .. yea i know its the makers listing price but it still owns the black heart ... and yes me likey Blackheart

all the clips i've heard of the gibson sound like ass.

all the clips i've heard of the blackheart pwn.
Quote by GoldenTrees

uh I really wouldn't trust the internet with how the wiring looks like.cause there might be a huge differant
Quote by sebisbest
epi valve jr beats all >_> 5 watts tube amps and under

I was gonna ask if you thought this Gibson with a 8" speaker would be better than an Epi Valve Jr with the 12" stack for $50 less?
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Quote by GoldenTrees

Those two round white things with all the white wires going to them on the near right corner of the circuit board are the tube sockets.
Quote by GoldenTrees

you see those two white things on the bottom right of the board?

those are the tube sockets, from beneath.
I didnt really want to step in on this conversation but you guys are seriously getting into the whole "VJ and Blackheart amps beat all!"

That little Gibson destroys the Valve Junior and probably the Blackheart (i havent played the Blacheart). They sold for around 700 bucks a few years ago, 300 bucks is a great price and i promise you will smoke almost any 5 watt tube amp in that range. I'm sick of a whole bunch of you thinking the Blackheart and Valve Junior is the end be all end of 5 watters, they're not.

as far as i'm concerned there is no other PTP wired 5 watt tube amp near that price range.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Why not save up $50 more to get a used peavey classic 30 for $300, hmm?
The Gibson seems to be comparable to the Champ 600 and Gretsch G5552. I think they just tried to get away with selling it at such a high price for years because of the Gibson name tag, and didn't want to miss the boat on the current craze for low wattage valve amps, but got a shock when so many appeared so fast. This isn't to say it won't be pure sex to play, but there was pretty much a monopoly on this niche for years, and as such, Gibson were able to offer the Goldtone with such an inflated price.

EDIT: And I know it's handwired etc. but that doesn't stop us claiming many non handwired amps to be among the best out there does it!
76 Fender Vibro Champ owns all!

It really is a great amp, though I wouldn't say it owns all.

Sometimes it can get a bit harsh with the bass on higher volumes, but that might have to do with my pickups.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
lol spankk - WERDDD , so is it a Sick Tube amp at a sick price - why is this thing good ... or if you dont think its good , why is it bad. The speaker is prob high quality, the hand wiring is prob nice, how are the tubes? how is the tone?
IMO an 8" speaker on a $300 amp = fail!

And yes my pristine used Classic 30 that I got for $275 is a much better deal.

I see that Gibson as possibly being a good recording amp when miced. But not worth the money for general live play.
I just asked as I have no opinion on any of the 3 Amps your talking about. But if the case as this fella states seems like a good reason for the Gibsons new price,doesn't that kind of offend you that they ass raped people for so long just for a name when they can obviously offer it for much less now that they have alot more competition? In a way I would be

Quote by igotabcrich32
I didnt really want to step in on this conversation but you guys are seriously getting into the whole "VJ and Blackheart amps beat all!"

That little Gibson destroys the Valve Junior and probably the Blackheart (i havent played the Blacheart). They sold for around 700 bucks a few years ago, 300 bucks is a great price and i promise you will smoke almost any 5 watt tube amp in that range. I'm sick of a whole bunch of you thinking the Blackheart and Valve Junior is the end be all end of 5 watters, they're not.

as far as i'm concerned there is no other PTP wired 5 watt tube amp near that price range.

Quote by greggybhoy
The Gibson seems to be comparable to the Champ 600 and Gretsch G5552. I think they just tried to get away with selling it at such a high price for years because of the Gibson name tag, and didn't want to miss the boat on the current craze for low wattage valve amps, but got a shock when so many appeared so fast. This isn't to say it won't be pure sex to play, but there was pretty much a monopoly on this niche for years, and as such, Gibson were able to offer the Goldtone with such an inflated price.

EDIT: And I know it's handwired etc. but that doesn't stop us claiming many non handwired amps to be among the best out there does it!
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
They are finally charging what its probably worth instead of their insane Gibby markup. It most likely is really good, it was just never $1,000 dollars good.
you guys are absolutely right about the price. The main point of my argument is that every single thread about low wattage amps ALWAYS get Blackheart and Valve Junior recommendations, mainly when 90% recommending them have never played a Blackheart.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Lol, only a volume control.

Yeah, that's a sick amp alright....

You have no idea my friend. dont judge based on controls bro.
Quote by igotabcrich32
you guys are absolutely right about the price. The main point of my argument is that every single thread about low wattage amps ALWAYS get Blackheart and Valve Junior recommendations, mainly when 90% recommending them have never played a Blackheart.

Have you tried one. Up until recently at least, any of the main 5w amps would have pwned the Gibson on price alone. Name means nothing. Look at the Marshall MG series. I wasn't keen on the "endorsement" of Crate when it came to my Blackheart, but after trying one, I'm more than sure that for 200 sheets I made the right choice in amp. Unfortunately as far as I know, the Gibson isn't dropping in price in Scotland very soon, but I would love to give one a bash to see how comparable it is to the Champ 600. Fender carries just as much prestige and history as Gibson but don't always have people by the short and curly's when it comes to price. Gibson just wanted to be like "Global Gym" in Dodgeball.

Lol, only a volume control.

Yeah, that's a sick amp alright....
Today 01:22 AM

Oky then, shows what you know.
Quote by sebisbest
blackheart is has a crisper and looks sexyer tho but the controls don't do anything only the bass and epi valve jr is warm and smoother.

Tube tone while making my salted crackers crisp? Oh my jesus heaven.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by greggybhoy
Have you tried one. Up until recently at least, any of the main 5w amps would have pwned the Gibson on price alone. Name means nothing. Look at the Marshall MG series. I wasn't keen on the "endorsement" of Crate when it came to my Blackheart, but after trying one, I'm more than sure that for 200 sheets I made the right choice in amp. Unfortunately as far as I know, the Gibson isn't dropping in price in Scotland very soon, but I would love to give one a bash to see how comparable it is to the Champ 600. Fender carries just as much prestige and history as Gibson but don't always have people by the short and curly's when it comes to price. Gibson just wanted to be like "Global Gym" in Dodgeball.

Oky then, shows what you know.

i have played one, i wouldn't be so keen on the topic if i didn't know what i was talking about. I agree that one of the cheaper 5 watters would beat the Gibson when it was selling for 700 bucks. But come on, a handwired 5 watt amp for 50 bucks than the Valve Junior stack is a hell of a deal, and it sounds very very good, it could be that i just prefer the sound of a similar 5e3 circuit, but i would much rather have the Gibson.
If it was available to me at the time I bought my Blackheart then who knows? I doubt this deal will reach the UK though.

I have nothing against the Gibson amp however, and was even going to make a thread to alert everyone to what is undoubtedly a great deal, but I had to go to work this morning so I couldn't. My issue was just with their previous pricing policy, where "handwired" = extra $500 or whatever. I'm sure Gibson don't really pay their technicians 1 weeks wages to make one amp.
let's get over the handwired assumptions too people. Sure boards are sometimes fragile, but the signal path and how the wires (or board) is arranged is what affects tone and any interference or suck you might get. A board design can easily sound just as good as a hand wired and a hand wired can sound terrible, it just depends on how cleverly and cleanly everything is arranged.
I'd go for the Gibson just in case the price goes back up. If it does, you could expect to make a $100 profit on it.

It probably does sound better than the blues Jr and valve jr, not $500 better, but probably does sound a bit better. At $300 you can't really go wrong with it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'd go for the Gibson just in case the price goes back up. If it does, you could expect to make a $100 profit on it.

It probably does sound better than the blues Jr and valve jr, not $500 better, but probably does sound a bit better. At $300 you can't really go wrong with it.

I dont think it would sound better than a blues jr.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Generally 6" speakers=****, thin, boxy tone.

12" speakers sounds SO MUCH better!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Another thing is that the Gibson is made with quality parts; and the blackheart and VJ are made with the cheapest crap they could get. The Gibson will last many more years.
^Perhaps, but the Blackheart has some nice parts from what I remember (I believe Cliff jacks and stuff). Also there are many upgrade kits for the BH...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^Perhaps, but the Blackheart has some nice parts from what I remember (I believe Cliff jacks and stuff). Also there are many upgrade kits for the BH...

getting an upgrade kit would probably make the BH exceed the cost of the Gibson, which defeats the point of the argument in this thread.
Ok but to be fair and honest I bought my 25w tube Epi for $60 less than the Gibby amp and it has upgrades & JJ tubes already and it still had the tags on it. Before you say eveything is crap I see alot of people buying the VJ & now the blackheart so they must not suck as bad as you make them out to be The Gibby maybe a nice amp but up until now if the Gibby was still the same price it use to be would you chose it over either?
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
Quote by twisty571
Ok but to be fair and honest I bought my 25w tube Epi for $60 less than the Gibby amp and it has upgrades & JJ tubes already and it still had the tags on it. Before you say eveything is crap I see alot of people buying the VJ & now the blackheart so they must not suck as bad as you make them out to be The Gibby maybe a nice amp but up until now if the Gibby was still the same price it use to be would you chose it over either?

Can you direct me to where i said they suck? i'm actually quite fond of the Valve Junior, what i'm saying it that for 250 you can get the VJ stack or for 50 dollars more you can get a handwired amp with better parts and reliability, and to my ears, sounds one hell of a lot better.
Page 1 of 2