One of my friends has really wanted to buy a drum kit for a few months now. So today he finally asks his parents if they can help him buy one. What do you know, they won't, since "drums aren't an instrument, it's just banging on stuff," and they want him to play piano or violin instead (not going to happen). Drummer jokes aside, I'm looking for some "tasteful"-sounding (read- not metal) drum solos on YouTube he can show his parents to convince him that drums are in fact an instrument.

EDIT: I'm sure his parents aren't going to appreciate anything associated with rock... I'm pretty sure they're primarily into classical music... hell, they suggested that he learn to play piano or violin instead. Jazz stuff should be good. Maybe not a solo though, maybe just a jazz song with really good drums.
Last edited by iimjpii at Feb 27, 2008,
I don't think a video of a drum solo would convince them to change their minds. They need to realize that drums provide the rhythmic backbone to nearly all music, and that dismissing them as "banging on stuff" shows their enormous ignorance to music as an art.

I think his parents main concern is the inevitable loud noise that will probably drive them crazy. If he is not too old I suggest he take up percussion in his schools music program.
Last edited by CHIEF-CHEESE at Feb 27, 2008,
Use the argument that he would be a Percussion player. That encompasses mallets and things, things that may be closer to "Real Instruments"
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
just show some jazz stuff, or perhaps some blues with brushes, just slower chilled out stuff and when all that fails.......john bonham
keep blues alive
say something about rhythm and how every instrument needs it and coordination cuz you need good coordination with your hand and feet to play well

you could also say its and excercize(if you play hard for a while)
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Personally, I don't think any drum solos are tasteful. Drums are there to keep time and to move the music forward, I've yet to see any up-his-own-ass drummer banging around for a few minutes do either.

Not to say they're not awesome if done properly, they're just not tasteful.

Instead, play them some Bob Marley or The Police or Sublime or any reggae type thing, that will show them how great drumming is as good if not as better than any instrument, not only in terms of technicality, but in terms of sheer awesomeness.
I don't think you'll get a drum solo like youndescribe, although I somewhate believe what you say, the best drum solo you get is something like 'The Mule' by Deep Purple, which is good, but not merely melodic or anything 'cause drums just aren't anything like that, damn good though
Search big band type stuff. If you search blues, jazz, big band solos on youTube, you should be able to find a few.

EDIT: I took the liberty of doing it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO-LoinkYpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ27vQUSA68
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Last edited by brandon369852 at Feb 27, 2008,
i like to think of the drums in a mastodon song as one drum solo. that guy is crazy good.
A lot of jazz drummers are very tasteful. Look up Sonny Payne, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
OMG I HAET DRUM SHRED, DRUMS AR MENT 3 BE PLAID WITH SOUUUUUUL!!!!!!!!!!

DAVE GROHL wAS BEST DRUMMAR EVER!!!

Any way, tell them to stop being ****wits. Get him to cancel out the drums in some of their favourite music, and then show them the result; and how crap it sounds without a rhythm.

A solo won't impress them if they can't even appreciate it in a song, people never can. That's why popular music these days rarely has solos.
Hm, I'll show him this thread.

I'm sure his parents aren't going to appreciate anything associated with rock... I'm pretty sure they're primarily into classical music... hell, they suggested that he learn to play piano or violin instead. Jazz stuff should be good. Maybe not a solo though, maybe just a jazz song with really good drums.
Moby Dick by led zeppelin
My Gear
Jackson RR5
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Marshall MG10 : Deaceased
Esp Ltd Ec-50
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop wah
Marshall Avt 50x
Quote by Kevin97220
well tell him to save up and buy it by himself.
that'll show his parents.

He doesn't have a job.
Do you know how many lawns you'd have to mow to buy a drum kit?
Take Five would be awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOgYw5-pNs

And maybe the live version of Rush - YYZ, though it's a bit metal.
And since percussion is teach in music colleges, I find it extremely ignorant to say that it's not an instrument.

EDIT:
Quote by garden of grey

I hate you .

Double Edit:
Show them the VADRUM!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vLQ7iCz94
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Feb 27, 2008,