I am planning on getting new Hums for my LTD EC-100QM, and I am looking into EMG 81/60, but I have one question. Can I install active hums into my guitar? It's built with passives.. and I have no idea how this crap works.
usually the wires can go in exsisting cavities so yes it should be do-able, but i wouldn't recomend doing it youself.
Up the Punx!
Yes, you can put actives on a guitar that had passives.

I wouldn't really recommend it on that guitar though honestly.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes, you can put actives on a guitar that had passives.

I wouldn't really recommend it on that guitar though honestly.

Why wouldn't you recommend it?

Also, if I do put them in there, where does the battery go?
Quote by Dvnc
usually the wires can go in exsisting cavities so yes it should be do-able, but i wouldn't recomend doing it youself.

And the battery?

(To TS) If you're going to do it yourself you will almost definitely need to route a cavity in the guitar's back to fit in the battery for the pickups.
Quote by thefunnelweaver
Why wouldn't you recommend it?

Because the guitar is made out of Agathis and is a pretty low end guitar, the pickups would end up costing almost as much as the guitar costs new. Buy a better guitar then then think about putting nice pickups in it. I'm also guessing you have a lower-end amp as well, no pickup change is going to make any difference in your sound through a cheap amp.

Quote by last_biscuit
If you're going to do it yourself you will almost definitely need to route a cavity in the guitar's back to fit in the battery for the pickups.

No you won't. I don't know where people get this idea, I've installed EMGs in plenty of guitars and NONE of them have had to have anything routed out of them. You put the battery in the guitar's control cavity. If it fits in an SG, it fits in pretty much anything.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
this isn't true..... ive installed emg's on atleast 10 guitars. Never soldered anything in my life until i bought my first emg 81. Installed it perfect with nothing but the emg instructions. it wasn't easy the first time around but it wasn't that difficult. Also the battery is fine just laying back there behind the control knobs. Most of the time it won't really move around. On some guitars it will... You can strap it to the cover. But there should be plenty of room for your battery in the back. On a strat you have to take the pickgaurd off and put it under there. I've saw some people try to install them and fail... but don't rush into it and make sure you know where it goes before you do it and you'll be fine. I can do it in like 15 or 20 minutes now. My first time took about an hour and a half and i messed up a few times. The instructions aren't the best by the way. But ill take a pic of my guitars with emg's and show you the way its wired and where the battery is.
Because the guitar is made out of Agathis and is a pretty low end guitar, the pickups would end up costing almost as much as the guitar costs new. Buy a better guitar then then think about putting nice pickups in it. I'm also guessing you have a lower-end amp as well, no pickup change is going to make any difference in your sound through a cheap amp.

Yeah i agree I wouldn't bother with that guitar although if you have to emg's are the way to go because the wood of the guitar doesn't make as much of a difference as it does with passives. I mean hell if you really want an 81 get one and then take it out and put it in a new guitar when you get one.
Hmm... so.. what's wrong with Agathis? I did some reading about it before I bought the guitar and I didn't see anything wrong with it. I thought the tone was comparable to Mahogany.

Before I bought this guitar I played several of the LTD's. The 400's and 500's... and I liked the sound of this one better, so what makes it a bad guitar?
Well, if you like it man the emg's will sound better in it than passive pickups probably. You'll probably be fine man. But I mean cheap guitars.... sound like cheap guitars you know? When you play an expensive guitar theres a big difference.
Well, I was also thinking of getting a Dimebucker for the bridge and a SH-1 for the neck. You think that's a better choice or still pointless?
The Dimebucker is a piece of sh1t, so that would be even worse.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!