ive been "playing" for 2 years. i put it in quotes because the first year i touched my guitar maybe once a week and usually just played ramones songs. I didnt start taking it seriously until last november or so. The only metal songs i can play perfectly on rythm are Seek and Destroy (w/solos) and a few other old metallica songs, im about half way through hangar 18 but im having trouble with the second part. I just see all these people on youtube playing marty friedman solos perfectly to the ryhtm after playing the same amount of time as me i just feel like im behind. For the past year ive been practicing EVERY day anywhere from 1 and a half to 6 hours a day> (on some weekends its been 8 and 9 hours) but i just feel like Im not nearly as good as other people. and yes i know i have really good gear for a n00b.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Awesome - keep practicing man and you'll have those solos down soon
Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
What's good? It's an opinion. Don't worry about it, just keeps playing and practicing so long as you enjoy yourself.
ohai little sig.
Yeh what the other guys say. Also don't worry about what people on here and youtube can do. UG is a haven for many an awesome guitarist and you really shouldn't worry if your not as good as them. Also be aware that some of those things they say may be bs.
basically, you need to practice more. People who start at a younger age have more experience, meaning that they have had more practice.
What is good? Depending on what "good" is to you, you may or may not suck.

When I see guitarists who are far better than me I think, "Maybe one day I'll be able to do that." It seems that you are thinking along the lines of, "Wow, that's impossible." With lots of hard work and effort you will eventually be able to do things you never though possible before.
I don't think it's really beneficial to do nothing but learn songs.

Go learn some theory, like scales, chords, arpeggios.

I have much more respect for someone who can improvise well and write music than I do for someone who can play someone else's song. Besides, knowing theory gives you a better knowledge of how songs are played anyway.

Of course, I take the other extreme and only do improvising. (which probably isn't a great idea, but oh well.)
Last edited by andersoncouncil at Feb 27, 2008,
I've been playing for 2 and a half years and I can't play the solo to seek and destroy.
^
I've been playing for two and a half years, and I've always just improvised it (and it sounded good to me, so I don't see a problem with that!)

Anyway, some people are just naturally talented. It takes a bit more work for some people with the guitar, but it's not even about who's the best or where you stand as a musician. You can be insanely good at shredding or you can just play chords and rhythm guitar. None of that matters. The only thing that truely matters is that you have the tools and the ability to play the music that you want to play. If it takes a little bit of time, that's not a big deal.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
there will always be someone better than you

this happens to everyone man
one person might think your the best on the planet
others will say you suck

Just keep doing what ya love
Quote by andersoncouncil
I don't think it's really beneficial to do nothing but learn songs.

Go learn some theory, like scales, chords, arpeggios.

I have much more respect for someone who can improvise well and write music than I do for someone who can play someone else's song. Besides, knowing theory gives you a better knowledge of how songs are played anyway.

Of course, I take the other extreme and only do improvising. (which probably isn't a great idea, but oh well.)

i do know theory, scales, and arpeggios. Ive also learned all the notes on the fretboard. Minor, Minor Harmonic, Byzentine, Penetonic, and Major Scales. as well as most of the sweep patterns popular in metal. im not all that great at improvising tho, whenever i try it sounds like ****. so i usually spend most of my time learning songs by ear.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Best thing you can do is just keep practicing. If improvising isn't your thing, I'd recommend turning on a microphone and just practicing nothing, simply playing whatever pops into your head. Leave the mic on the whole time, and when you're done with a 1-2 hour session, just sit back and listen. There are times when I'll be playing and think "Jeeze, this sounds horrible," but as soon as I listen to it, it sounds a lot better. We tend to treat ourselves more harshly while playing than while listening (at least in my own personal experience) So just give it a try, it may not be as bad as you think.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
I practice fourteen hours a day and I suck ass, so don't be too hard on yourself. As long as you have fun playing that's all that matters.
those people on youtube are lying. thye cannot be playing 2 years and get down hangar 18 solos perfectly. it takes a lot more playing than that, unles you have no life.2 years isnt that much, keep working on your rhythm and maybe start playing lead when you feel like. you dont suck.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You don't suck. "Seek and Destroy" isn't exactly easy. Certainly you have work to do, though. Of course, we all do.

absolutely.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
For the past year ive been practicing EVERY day anywhere from 1 and a half to 6 hours a day> (on some weekends its been 8 and 9 hours) but i just feel like Im not nearly as good as other people. and yes i know i have really good gear for a n00b.

8 or 9 hours of practice in a day is crazy. lmao dude don't make playing the guitar work.. just make sure you are still having fun..
paul gilbert spent the first 8 years of his guitar playing "sucking"

check out some of his lesson/interview things