Sometimes when I play (with distortion on) the strings on my guitar vibrate slightly after I've removed my finger from the string and can sound messy. Would getting a Noise Gate (or compressor?) solve this? If so which? And what model would be best to get (under around £80)?

I tried youtubing videos but I couldn't find any compressor pedals being played with distortion and I couldn't find any noise gate pedals being tested at all.

Edit: If it helps I play melodic metal like Kalmah, Norther and Children of Bodom
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I have a built in Noise Gate on my Line 6 but when playing on high volume I hear the same thing you hear.
What's a Compressor? Sorry for the nub question...
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
well i was told with a amp you don't really need a compressor because the amp already does alot of compressing or something like that. all a noise gate does is kill the signal if it gets below a certain point
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Probably not what you want to hear, but neither will help you.

The compressor brings a certain unity too all the sounds coming from your guitar...in your case, it would boost the noise you are hearing afterwards.

A noise gate might help, but you'd have to set the threshold pretty high, for it to close very quickly. It might work, but it will make for a very awkward and unnatural cut off / tone.

The problem lies in your technique....you need to learn to mute the strings cleanly...it's that simple.
Compressors tighten up the wave form, so the levels are more uniform. This might help you out a bit, but I really don't think it will. Best bet would be to keep practicing and clean up your chops.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Probably not what you want to hear, but neither will help you.

The compressor brings a certain unity too all the sounds coming from your guitar...in your case, it would boost the noise you are hearing afterwards.

A noise gate might help, but you'd have to set the threshold pretty high, for it to close very quickly. It might work, but it will make for a very awkward and unnatural cut off / tone.

The problem lies in your technique....you need to learn to mute the strings cleanly...it's that simple.

I suspected as much but as I can find no way of doing that I figured I'd check for a gear related solution

How do you mute the strings after you let go?
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
It's pretty simple, and will come with time naturally.

You have to apply just a little pressure to the strings, so they don't fret, but at the same time, do not ring. Very simple, but it takes practice. After fretting a note, instead of lifting your finger completely off, lift it only enough to stop the fretting, but still have your finger on the string.