I'm getting a new guitar, $450-$600 range. I really want a guitar that has good if not great clean tones (which are most important), and also good distortion, but no whammy bar, bigsby or anything; some suggestions would be much appreciated.
I think at the moment my top choice is a PRS SE Custom.
Last edited by MarkCP at Feb 27, 2008,
If you're looking more for good cleans and don't mind brighter distortion, try a MIM Telecaster. You could also try for a Schecter Gryphon, which is coil tapped and can give you decent cleans and a warmer distortion.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
sounds like you want a lot of versatility. Maybe a SSH strat would work for you
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I'm usually not a big Fender fan, but I have been hearing good things lately about the versatility.
^x2 He said he wasn't too interested in anything with a tremolo, but I suppose he could block it. So yes, a HSS Strat is also an option.
Axe-FX Standard
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory - that's what's catching my eye this month.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Fender squire M-80, gotta almost les paul sound but playability of a strat
What type of music do you play and what gear do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Well that's the problem...
Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Semisonic, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc. I play just about everything but country.
What gear do you have now?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
well...nothing really. A 22w ibanez amp i got in a pack. Used to have a ****ty 20$ distortion pedal, then it broke...no surprise there. When I jam I basically use this other guys ****, his PA, nice marshall amp (not sure specifics), hell, my guitar broke, so for the last coupla months i've been using his Hellraiser. Plan on getting a nicer amp, probably marshall, and a boss Me-50 pedal. not much to work with
Ok well I'm sure the only Marshall you'd be buying is an MG, and those amps are terrible.

What is wrong with your guitar?
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by DrNick
If you're looking more for good cleans and don't mind brighter distortion, try a MIM Telecaster. You could also try for a Schecter Gryphon, which is coil tapped and can give you decent cleans and a warmer distortion.

Sorta off topic, but what does coil tapped mean? Thanks
Hello
first of all, when i get a nicer amp, it will be in the distant future, so i have no idea what

well, the Ibanez i have now is just lacking, all around, i've had it for close to a year, and had been planning on keeping it for a long time, but now my standards have gone up, and the only good thing about the guitar at all is that it keeps a tune forever. i mean, it's a fine guitar, but i have kind of outgrown it.
There is a lot out there in your price range. I purchased an Ibanez ARC300 today. Buy from a small local shop if possible, they treat you right = like a human...
Quote by MXBoy11
Sorta off topic, but what does coil tapped mean? Thanks

A coil tap decreases the output of a humbucker (while still using the whole humbucker), making it sound a little more like a single coil. This is not to be confused with coil splitting, which is just using one coil on a humbucker.
Axe-FX Standard
go to the guitar center and play guitars within that range that people suggest or maybe your favorite guitarists use. for me i did this last week and i realized within 2 mins that the jackson rhoads was for me. also concentrate on the type of sound you want and the music you play
i live in a little tiny town four hours away from a guitar center, i do have a schmitt music within an hour, but i still don't have a ride...or my license.
Sorry to hear your access to a store sucks. I feel for you on that. Northern Minnesota - does your local (1 hr away) guy have a decent stock of guitars? Find out what he has in stock and check them out online to have an idea of pricing before you go. But if his stock is limited, IDK, Greyhound bus to the twin cities?
Paul Reed Smith Se Custom

One word- Amazing
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Quote by phip
Paul Reed Smith Se Custom

One word- Amazing

Actually I've been very underwhelmed by every SE I've played other than the Singlecuts and Tremontis.

They feel pretty lifeless.

I'm happy that you like yours though
Quote by utsapp89
schmitt's is a chain store, in virginia, but the site has nothing
no products, just info about schmitts

what dont you like about the SE?
They have all had pretty poor resonance, feel almost like toys, and are overpriced.

A similar guitar in the price range that I've always found far superior is the Michael Kelly Valor Series.
Quote by utsapp89
huh...i listened to some sound samples from that se, i was blown away by the cleans
Quote by MarkCP
huh...i listened to some sound samples from that se, i was blown away by the cleans

Your amp is going to dictate more of your tone than the guitar.

All of the Valors that I've played have been extremely comfortable and incredibly resonant. The Valor Glory has better pickups than the SE Custom, also .
Quote by utsapp89
it's also f***ing gorgeous...hows the distortion on that beast?
Last edited by MarkCP at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by MarkCP
it's also f***ing gorgeous...hows the distortion on that beast?

It'll depend on your amp

The pickups are pretty PAFish, so it may need some help getting *really* heavy.
Quote by utsapp89
mk...ill add that to the list...hey what do you think of the Showmaster? As I said, not a big fender fan, but that looks sweet.
I've always wanted to try out one of those duncan pearly gates
the mexican-made strats and telecasters are cool for 420 at the most. you can get the whammy removed for strats too.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks