what are the proper ways to warm up? (i.e. stretches etc)
sometimes my fret wrist is sore after playing.
i run through all the modes and scales i know with a metronome, then just jam along with some songs i know. gets me warmed up.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
I take a leaf from Slash's book.
I practise something I've not quite mastered yet (usually a riff or solo).
Once I'm content with my level of playing with that riff or solo, then I run through a few songs.
Basically that
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
i use this one...forget where i picked it up from. strict alt picking and continue it descending

e---------------------------------------8-5-------|
B-----------------------8-5-----------7-----6-----|
G-------8-5-----------7-----6-------6---------7---|
D-----7-----6-------6---------7---5-------------8-|
A---6---------7---5-------------8-----------------|
E-5-------------8---------------------------------| etc...
Quote by albino strat!
i use this one...forget where i picked it up from. strict alt picking and continue it descending

e---------------------------------------8-5-------|
B-----------------------8-5-----------7-----6-----|
G-------8-5-----------7-----6-------6---------7---|
D-----7-----6-------6---------7---5-------------8-|
A---6---------7---5-------------8-----------------|
E-5-------------8---------------------------------| etc...

Puta madre that's great. I'm gonna start using that as well.
For stretching, I first take a little lick from John Petrucci's Rock Discipline, I alternate pick it but you can do anything you want because it's for the left hand mostly.

E------------------13--------------13--------------10--------------10------------------------
B--------------12--------------11--------------11--------------12----------------------------
G----------11--------------12--------------12--------------11--------------------------------
D------10--------------10--------------13--------------13------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then turn every note on the 10th fret into a 9th fret note and keep dropping that chromatically as far as you can, then move your whole hand down accordingly. I then play chromatic scales almost all the way up the neck, throw in a couple of simple sweep shapes and a few legato licks straight up the major scale patterns and I'm good to go.