Been playing for a few years now and I am looking for a mexican fender strat, something to get the bright strat tones that I cant get with a les paul. I do'nt want to spend too much on it, which is why I'm not getting the American...
Im between three choices:
Standard Stratocaster
plain as it gets...pros and cons?

Fender Standard HSS Stratocaster
how much of a difference is the humbucker going to make?...like I said I already have a les paul, so is this versatile enough to get a bright tone as well?

Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster
I like the gold hardware...What is the major differences between this and the standard...is the pickup selection button that important?...also, is it worth the $200 more than the standard?
I would just go with the standard and change the pickups if you want to. Or check out the Classic series and Classic Players 50's and 60's strats.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Lightitup
I would just go with the standard and change the pickups if you want to. Or check out the Classic series and Classic Players 50's and 60's strats.

+1
Quote by Lightitup

+2
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
I've never played the 50's and 60's strats, but I have to say the Deluxe player's strats are nice. They feel great (better than the mexican standards imo), and they sound great. Plus the extra pickup combinations make it that much more versitile.
get the 50's classic player-i just did, and it rules!
it's a fine line between clever and
stupid
I have an '07 Mexican Strat in Arctic White with a maple fretboard.

I love it. I'de say go try out some strats at GC or something (they always have a ****load) and find one that you like b/c for me it seems like all of them feel slightly different.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
I have a Classic 60's and it's perfect (once you have it set up, of course). But that's only if you like vintage radius and necks. If that's not the case, the Deluxe Players, Classic Players and the Roadhouse are very nice.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
It's built in America and has a cheaper finish, slightly cheaper hardware methinks. There was someone on the forum who mentioned they worked in the Fender factory and the necks/bodies of the Highway One were made in the same factory as the American Standards.

With a change of pickups you have an American Standard with a matte finish.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
It would help if we knew what amp you have, your budget, and what music you will playing with it, but rightnow I say get the HSS, because it has a coil splitter on the humbucker, which makes it exceptionally versatile.
why not look for a second hand american?
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
The best advice is to say to just go try a few different ones of each model. None of those three are any better than the others. The Deluxe costs more and has different features but I really prefer the standard, I haven't played any deluxes that I liked.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
The Deluxe Player's Strat has Noiseless pick ups and an added switch that allows 7 pup configurations as opposed to your normal 5. I was looking to buy this guitar. It sounds great and it plays awesomely, but I'm now looking at the Roadhouse series because of price issues.
The guitar also weighs a lot, which is something I didn't expect when I first picked it up.
"Take chances. Do not go through life wishing, instead go through life remembering. There are too many possibilities out there to let them just pass you by. Above all else, have FUN. You only live once, enjoy it while you can."
Lets say i'm probably one of the least picky when it comes to feel, im just all about sound and cosmetics...
So is there going to be any major differences; what types of wood do they use? basically are there sound difference in the deluxe, highway one, and the classic with the same pickups?
I just want something that will sound really good with clean jazz, and maybe a little distortion... like I said earlier, I already have a Gibson...so i dont need screaming pickups or anything...
Also, I have a GT-8 and am pretty good at getting the kind of preamp sounds... so is it going to make that much of a difference with a multi effex processor about tone in the guitar when i have that much control in the pedal?

also the hss humbucker split... does it sound just like any other normal single coils?
Last edited by purplestrat at Mar 3, 2008,