I'm really at a bloody loss here!
I've read a review in a guitar magazine and they said the new Fender is the best yet, but is less 'rock' and more 'blues' orientated. As much as I love blues, I want a RAWWWRRK GUITAR DAMN IT!
Is that reviewer just being very particular or is that statement very strong in terms of actual sound.

I want a guitar that can suit my ever changing taste in music really. I have a classic rock guitar, Les Paul, my shred guitar, Maverick and now I need the next best thing.
I desire, ever so much, something that will play Billy Talent, Jimi Hendrix, Muse, Million Dead, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and so on. All Strat using bands.

But......does the new 2008 Fender cut it for those bands?

Does anyone own the new editions and have any advice on them?
Mr. Goldfish Man
The new Stratocaster will be perfect for these bands. I am a proud Strat owner and absolutely love it. The new 2008 version has a much nicer feel, but i find the sound very similar.

Hope this helps.
I may be wrong here, but I don't believe that there are any major differences between the 2008's and an 07 like mine. The only differences are cosmetic (ie saddles etc)

I find I can get alot of heavier rock tones out of my Strat, especially if you have the pedal setup that allows you to play with the tones alot.
^wrong. the new strats have a wider nut too and people that own one say its the best strat if you want to stay in tune for a long time. also they use a special finish on the fret part of the neck, and a new lighter finish over the paint
^wrong, the nut is the same width
Width at Nut 1.685” (42.8 mm)

Ive played both, and own an 08, and although the neck of the 08 is a bit slicker (which I don't like at all) they play very similar. The bridge and tuners are the same as they have been for years, save for the saddles. They sound very similar. If you like the bent saddles, go for it, if not, wither change them, or go older.

The tone also seemed a bit brighter than older models, which may be the new finish, but its a very small difference indeed. And it is still a Polyurethane finish, not a true nitro finish, so just because they gave it a thinner topcoat doesnt make it the same as the nitro on say a 62AV strat
Quote by hawk5211
I may be wrong here, but I don't believe that there are any major differences between the 2008's and an 07 like mine. The only differences are cosmetic (ie saddles etc)

I find I can get alot of heavier rock tones out of my Strat, especially if you have the pedal setup that allows you to play with the tones alot.

Yeah the specks I've read seen very tastey. zack_ritch...that has helped alot mate, cheers!!
I doubt the sound will be a whole lot different, theres not that much you can change really. I think it must be in the feel, like with the wider nut and alternate finish on the neck.

Which model are you referring to when you say "I find I can get alot of heavier rock tones out of my Strat"?
well i play a bit of vai, satch, Malmsteen, and other shred stuff like that. If you have the setup it can sound very powerful when distorted, good for some of the band you mentioned. Its an 07 American Standard Strat (in sig/profile).
I can't actually find any 07 models anywhere on the net. Do you know of any Europian website that deals with older models as well as the recent?

I love the biting sound, even on my squier strat. I mean if that has grunt then I'm sure a guitar four times the price will be even more effective.
Ebay in Europe has an unfortunate amount of instruments fitting my catagories. Very few people want to sell a guitar as good as a real Fender(especially the more recent models), and the few that do are very difficult to find and bargain.