Hey guys,

I've just sold my Marshall 50 and taken a step into a better amp (thank god). I know own a Fender Deluxe Tube Amp. To give you an overview, I use an ESP EC-400VF and A Hot Rod Rock Distortion Pedal made by Digitech. Anyway, I play punk/pop-punk/ska so I need that "edgy" sound of course. Bands like Reel Big Fish, MXPX, Zebrahead and Less Than Jake to get an idea out.

Of course I realize I have to fool around with the EQ settings and coming from an SS I expect better quality in that but, my question is this. Are tube amps naturaly dirty sounding? Are there fixes to get me that edgy punk sound? Should I change out my tubes/speaker?

The cleans are amazing for ska and the EC-400VF is an amazing guitar over all.
um its probably the distortion pedal and your guitar. Turn down the volume knobs or change your pickups. But tube amps are muddier at lower volumes. You have to crank them at least 1/4 for it to sound good.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Well, first off, I own the hot head and do use it occasionally with my old man's old fender ( I WISH THE BASTARD WOULD GIVE IT TO ME!), but the hot head has never been a really good pedal, very nasty sounding, non-transparant, and the gain on tap is not very much, so I would say first get rid of that and buy a better OD. Second, tube amps naturally drive as you turn them up do to the tubes intaking more power and "distorting" the signal. Get rid of the hot head, grab say a cmatmods signadrive or a fulltone OCD and you should be fine...
Quote by jordy-77
um its probably the distortion pedal and your guitar. Turn down the volume knobs or change your pickups. But tube amps are muddier at lower volumes. You have to crank them at least 1/4 for it to sound good.

His guitar has Seymour Duncan JB & 59. He is just fine there.

I agree with Highwaytohell.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

I'm new to tube amps but I have been told that when tubes get old they get muddier,I don't know if they are naturally muddy since mine doesn't break up,it sound clear as a bell except what my pick-ups put out or what my RP sound like
It's a 1 channel with no gain though & new tubes.I will find out eventually
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)