Hi, I'm pretty new here, so please be understanding if I ask some dumb questions. :P

I rented a guitar and an amp from "Tapestry Music" for 3 months, and I've been playing for about a month and a half now. I'm thinking of buying new gear because I really like playing.

I'm playing Japanese rock songs from L'Arc~en~Ciel.
So I'm not really into "Hard Rock" or "Heavy Metal."

I'm thinking of buying one of the following guitars:
Ibanez ART100 - $300
Ibanez GRG170DX - $250

And I heard some talk on the Yamaha Pacifica (PAC112J) being pretty good. I googled it and I think it's around $200, not sure.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Ibanez ART100 because from what I heard, Mahogany bodies are lighter. Is this true? (I'm a small guy.) I also like the design of it.
However, one thing about the ART100 is that it doesn't have inlays on the fretboard except for the 12th, and it really helps for me to know what fret I'm on.
QUESTION: The ART100 looks pretty decent and is made out of Mahogany, so why is it only $300?

As for Amps, I don't really know what to aim for. But I also heard some talk on the Roland Cube amps. (Practice Amps)

I also want to buy one of the following pedals:
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion

The DS-1 is supposedly around $40, and the DS-2 around $80.
Is the price for the DS-2 worth it? Or should I just stick with the DS-1?
*If you think I'll need some other types of pedals, please post it up.

I'm looking to spend up to $300 for the guitar, as low as possible but still good amp ($100?), and however much for the pedal.

If you think I'm leaving out something, please say so.
Thanks for reading~
Mahogany bodies are actually really heavy, because the wood is quite dense. That's why the Ibanez S series was made.

Anyways, IMO you should get the pac. It's a fat strat design, so it'll be more versatile than the Ibanezes. If you're into metal, then get the Ibanezes. If not, then you should probably get the pac.

You most likely won't need any distortion pedals if you're going to get a cube. OK, the distortion on them isn't really all that great, but it'll do. If you plan to play live... well, then you probably shouldn't buy a cube.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Usually there are fret markers on the side of the neck whether or not they're on the fretboard. Mahogany is usually heavier from my experience unless its thinner guitar. also be sure to try out the guitars before you buy them (unless they don't carry them in any stores near you), after all you want a guitar thats easy and fun for you to play and learn on. I'm not to experienced with Ibanez so I can't help you with the guitar.

I think the DS-1 is a good pedal to work with while learning, however listening to few songs by L'Arc~en~Ciel, you way want to look into an overdrive pedal like Boss SD-1. It seems like that'd suit the music better.
Last edited by PumpkinPieces at Feb 27, 2008,
Oh right, forgot about the fret markers on the side. XD

Well, as for the Roland Cube, I found out it has overdrive/distortion/metal/metal-slack.
So I guess that's a plus. But I probably will play live in the future, since that's what I'm working towards: to perform in front of my friends.
*I won't be using my amp for this 'live' because the hosts will have the big amps. ;D

Also, which model of the Roland cube should I buy? 15X,20X,30X?
Which would be better for jamming AND personal practices?

As for the pedals, should I buy both the DS-1 and the SD-1?
Since they sound better and I'll need them in the future anywayz?

Thanks. (Still undecisive about the guitar)

*EDIT: Is Mahogany better than Basswood? I heard Mahogany has better sustain or something...
Last edited by Samai at Feb 28, 2008,