Page 1 of 2
im looking for good hip hop bass lines to learn. anyone know any good ones?
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
one busta rhymes song, i'm not sure what (either break yo neck, make it clap, etc, one of his somewhat recent singles) has some sick bass.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
gotta go oldschool on cool hip hop and rap bass lines. check out public enemy, beastie boys. some dre and eminem have some pretty cool bass lines
dude 'bust a move' by young mc has a good one. played by flea nonetheless. i think that was in a recent issue of BP? cant remember...
Quote by Sly Taco
^^^isnt that bass line from "Good Times" by Chic????

Yep. Bernard Edwards is one groovy dude.

A lot of "classic era" (80's/90's) hip-hop is either directly sampled from or heavily influenced by disco and funk basslines. Look into that.

There was a big jazz influence appearing in 90's stuff, EG Guru, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul etc too.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Express Yourself by NWA.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
"Buggin' Out" - A Tribe Called Quest
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I don't know. All I know is it was in Rapper's Delight and it was funky as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQMMiHpeN8

Rappers Delight chopped it up a little, but it's definitely Chic.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by jsbassboy
dude 'bust a move' by young mc has a good one. played by flea nonetheless. i think that was in a recent issue of BP? cant remember...
yea it was Flea if you have ever seen the video you can see Flea jumping around and head banging.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Skip over the hip-hop, and go right to the Parliament that they sampled!
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Mongoose87
Skip over the hip-hop, and go right to the Parliament that they sampled!

Like pretty much all of the West Coast sheeeeeawwwwt from the late 80's to mid 90's for sure.
Most rap music samples basslines from funk songs, maybe with the exception of RATM and the Roots. So check those guys out (but if you haven't checked RATM out by now... shame!)
Let's get retarded by the black eyed peas is pretty fun to play =)
No clue if they sampled it from another song, though
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Where is the love by Black Eyed Peas, it's nothing amazing, but it's really enjoyable.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Thanks to this thread, I have now realized Sugar Hill Gang are perhaps the coolest group ever.
A TRIBE CALLED QUEST!!!!!

LUPE FIASCO!!!!

COMMON!!!!
^especially the Go album, so many sick beats complete with great lines
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by Assasaurus
"Buggin' Out" - A Tribe Called Quest

Quote by fosho
A TRIBE CALLED QUEST!!!!!

This needs to be done, in a big way
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
Quote by BassistGal
Where is the love by Black Eyed Peas, it's nothing amazing, but it's really enjoyable.

Aye. I'd look in to some more Back Eyed Peas. They're one of the few hip-hop groups that actually has a live band behind it.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Check out N.W.A. they have the best lines in every song.

Specifically:

Express yourself
Gangsta Gangsta
Quote by Captain Insano
Ice, Ice Baby?

sampled from Under Pressure, written by David Bowie & Queen.

Quote by BassistGal

great choice!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Feb 28, 2008,
anything by jay-z... hes a rapper that tends to use real musicians, same with wyclef
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
I don't know if it's hip-hop, but "Tell me'bout it" by Joss Stone is a pretty groovy and simple line if you just want to have something to play for fun.
Check out White Lines by Grandmaster Flash, great fun song!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
ms. jackson
let's get retarded
colt 45
some beastie boys
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
many songs by The Roots, after all they are a real band with a human bass player.

I recently have been playing Touch the Sky, by Kanye. Its fun as hell, and funky as ****
i learned what you know by ti, it's a pretty cool bassline. i wish they had more tabs of rap songs on here though.
Quote by jake_1234
hip-hop?
Good?
nar

Narrow minded? Should go back to the guitar forum? Yar.

Seriously, there is good and bad music in all genres. Most hip-hop and rap on MTV and Much are pretty bad (although some Jay-Z and Kanye West is alright), but if you look to guys like NWA, Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Immortal Technique, Saul Williams, The Roots, El-P, KRS-One, Nas, A Tribe Called Quest, etc. Not bad at all.
Last edited by Charlatan_001 at Mar 17, 2008,
Quote by Charlatan_001
Narrow minded? Should go back to the guitar forum? Yar.

Seriously, there is good and bad music in all genres. Most hip-hop and rap on MTV and Much are pretty bad (although some Jay-Z and Kanye West is alright), but if you look to guys like NWA, Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Immortal Technique, Saul Williams, The Roots, El-P, KRS-One, Nas, A Tribe Called Quest, etc. Not bad at all.

Word.
Page 1 of 2