Gday,

I was quite happy with the sound of my Ibanez RG1570, until i bought an EMG 81 and chucked it in my other $50 guitar, to find that it now sounds better than my Ibanez!!

I really have no idea at all about pickups, whether to go for active or passive, and what brands are good/bad. I really like the sound of the EMG 81, although one element of it that i didnt like is that it is a bit to full on if u know what i mean. Still light years above what stock ibanez pickups, but not exactly what im after.

Would it be better to go for active's or passives in this guitar? I mainly like to play metal, including real fast solo's.

I havnt really heard many different pickups at all, only really the stockies in my ibanez, the EMG 81 and a bunch of other cheap pickups.

Obviously u cant really try before u buy, so i want to get the right ones from the start.

The other thing, if i go for passive pickups, can i keep the curent wiring in the ibanez, and just basically plug and play?

In regards to active vs passive, i guess if there is not much between them, i would rather go for passive, as i wont have to install batteries, but if actives are much better than i will go for them.

Any advice to a pickup noob would be greatly appreciated, thanks
for ibanezes, dimarzios are usually the favorite cos theyre passive and pretty high output/good quality. Some to consider,

dimarzio;
evolution
fred
d-sonic
super distortion
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Well if you like more of the "chug chug" metal sound, I'd go with Breeds. If you want better leads, the D-sonic may be better, but Breeds are some damn versatile pickups.

What's your price range and what amp do you have?
My amp is a crappy randall, but i plan to buy a marshal valvestate soon, price range? As much as I need to spend to get a quality pickup
At least you've given a good starting point. I'd recommend sticking with passives in the RG purely for the sake of not having to rip out the entire wiring harness and starting from scratch.

Combinations will be in the form of Bridge pickup/Neck pickup. Remember that these must be correctly spaced for a floyd rose equipped guitar.

DiMarzio:

D-Sonic/Air Norton (modern John Petrucci combination)
Steve's Special/ Air Norton (classic John Petrucci combination)
D-Activator Bridge/D-Activator Neck (want EMG punch but without the sterility then these just might the ticket).
Breed Bridge/Breed Neck (Vai combination one, as mentioned by another poster more chug, quite dark).
Evo Bridge/Evo Neck (Vai combination two, brighter than the breeds more of his 90's sound I think).

Seymour Duncan:

JB Bridge/ '59 Neck (classic Soloist combination)
Custom Bridge / Jazz Neck
Distortion Bridge / Jazz Neck

Since you liked the EMG 81 but didn't want something quite as "full on" the D-activators might be your best bet.
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
Addendum forgot about middle single coil, bother.....
I see Mother Nature equipped you for a battle of wits in the same way she equipped cows for supersonic flight.
DiMarzio pickups are perfect for Ibanez <3
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Thanks, you guys r extremely helpful and knowledgable. Much appreciated.

With the D-Activators, would that basically be a plug and play pickup? In that at most it would just require soldering the curent ibanez wires to the new pickups?
Quote by jayeshrc
i say air norton 7 in neck and x2n 7 in bridge.

RG1570 not RG1527.
Quote by e32lover
Thanks, you guys r extremely helpful and knowledgable. Much appreciated.

With the D-Activators, would that basically be a plug and play pickup? In that at most it would just require soldering the curent ibanez wires to the new pickups?

Normal passives don't work that way unfortunately. They come with a multicore cable which means you'd have to unsolder the standard Ibanez humbuckers from the wiring harness and solder the new one in.

I would heartily recommend that if you are in any way unsure to have a good tech solder it in for you.

http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx
Drop down options should be Guitar, 2007 and RG1570 to display correct diagrams.

Dimarzio 4 conductor is here.
http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf

If you look at each pickup you'll see wiring diagrams but it's not as simple as plug and play. I'd be doing you a disservice to suggest otherwise.
If you want something to complement and contrast with the EMG equipped guitar then stick a pair of Breeds in it, maybe with an FS1 in the middle.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by e32lover
...I really like the sound of the EMG 81...
I'd stick with the OEM single coil in the center and go with DiMarzio D-activator in the neck and bridge.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by e32lover
My amp is a crappy randall, but i plan to buy a marshal valvestate soon, price range? As much as I need to spend to get a quality pickup

DO NOT GET A VALVESTATE! Please. They're crap, so tell us your amp budget and we can recommend something decent.
Quote by which ones pink
DO NOT GET A VALVESTATE! Please. They're crap, so tell us your amp budget and we can recommend something decent.

ty
xD

Mines pretty good, i like it. Its old now, like really old but it still works well.

Another thing is why are people generally only recommending DiMarzios, i think seeing as though you play metal some high output Seymour Duncans are better. Maybe Seymour Duncan distortions?
Manchester United
Quote by Shabalaba
ty
xD

Mines pretty good, i like it. Its old now, like really old but it still works well.

Another thing is why are people generally only recommending DiMarzios, i think seeing as though you play metal some high output Seymour Duncans are better. Maybe Seymour Duncan distortions?

See that's the thing. The old Valvestates weren't bad, but the newer ones and the AVTs really suck (they're basically the same thing). You can still get better for the money though.