I'm an oldschool metalhead. I like Death, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Testament, Metallica, Megadeth, Sepultura, Celtic Frost, etc. I've been playing for about two years now and I can do the traditional classic rock sounding minor pentatonic scale solos. I also use the minor scale and phrygian mode a lot. So for slow mellow songs, blues, classic rock, and that type stuff I can solo fine. But unfortunately, I can't shred yet so I'm not sure how to go about improvising over metal. I don't know which scales will sound good, how to make up for my slowness, etc. Any tips?
harmonic minor
phrygian dominant
spanish scales
use chromatics
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Come up with a melody that fits the riff. Might be hard considering that some of that **** is heavy as fux. But if you come up with a melody or a pattern that fits that riff or chord progression it, then you can work around that pattern or melody.
flat 2nd generally works great with the grindier death metal bands. pentatonics seem fine for stuff like entombed, carcass, or metallica.

if you want to play slayer just play really fast, hit random notes, and wank your whammy.
Quote by rky
flat 2nd generally works great with the grindier death metal bands. pentatonics seem fine for stuff like entombed, carcass, or metallica.

if you want to play slayer just play really fast, hit random notes, and wank your whammy.

its so true
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
Quote by bi-ah!
harmonic minor
phrygian dominant
spanish scales
use chromatics

Thats like Dimebags playbook right there XD
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
stick to most minors (phrygian is a minor mode, dom is just for key selection), and find something to record or loop your riff you wanna put a solo over, then think about it and mess around with a few things so you can lay a melody underneath it for a solo. That's what Jon Donais of Shadows Fall does, and his solos aren't just whammy wanking and chromatic madness, when I first heard Thoughts Without Words I had the Solo of the song stuck in my head for days because he could make it that good. So definantly try that and shredding improv will follow most definantly after time.
Well those sorts of rhythms (most of the time) give you an extreme amount of freedom in note choice. It would be ideal to mix and match scales and add in notes and really lay on the strong notes behind each chord ect ect.

If its power chords, or minor and major diads and you know the progression, you can look at it and outline arpeggios and chord tones and such to make a memorable and interesting solo.
Last edited by Silky Smooth at Feb 27, 2008,
Harmonic minor scales sound really dark and evil, play them like an insanely fast asian, and you have a metal solo sir.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
I'm gonna go against what most people generally reccomend and say (if you haven't already) try learning the solos to songs you like by the bands you listed. That way you'll add tons of licks to both your mental playbook and your fingers will get faster and more coordinated and you'll be better able to figure out what might sound good in a heavy metal song.

I'll admit I've been lazy and haven't learned my scales, modes, chords or anything but I can play almost anything if you give me a tab, I consider myself a guitarist and not am usician because I love playing and it's incredibly fun and I don't really have any hopes of becoming a musician but I do plan on learning music theory just because it interests me immensely.
just go crazy with the minor pentatonic
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
basically harmonic and melodic minor

but i you use the major scale plus chromatic stuff, it fits really nice
yaay :P i like slayer's riffing but their solos really are terrible
well...if your playing in a minor scale / harmonic minor then play the minor arpeggio shape with the chord progression for fast bits, then use harmonic minor ect for a slow progression to something else...thats how i do it

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
A lot of minor scales for sure.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by YourDad
Harmonic minor scales sound really dark and evil, play them like an insanely fast asian, and you have a metal solo sir.

did you know kirk hammett is asian. philipino haha
Quote by rky

Funny, for years that's how I soloed (until I decided solos were lame...) and everyone thought I was sooo good.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by jimzer
did you know kirk hammett is asian. philipino haha

i heard kirk hammet doesnt know who is dad is....is that true? one of my friends told me that is a metallica freak so i was wondering...
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
Quote by bi-ah!
i heard kirk hammet doesnt know who is dad is....is that true?

oh man
that just made me piss myself laughing

What are some cool scales to sweep to?
Quote by STABxYOU
Funny, for years that's how I soloed (until I decided solos were lame...) and everyone thought I was sooo good.

Maybe they were just being politically correct... Just a thought.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.