So
Restringing my acoustic. But the strings are touching the frets when i string it up. Not above them, and they make that stupid buzzing sound.

the neck isnt bent as far as i can tell, and the other strings i had worked fine. and they were the same gauge so it isnt a gauge problem.

anyone who can help?
Do you have the string tight enough? Did you replace the strings one at a time or all at once?
sigh...
You should replace them one at a time, that way you have the other strings to use as a reference for how tight they should be.
sigh...
dont overtighten either. use a tuner? i think most tuners have that sound button where you can compare and tune accordingly to the sound it gives.
Quote by enceps
You should replace them one at a time, that way you have the other strings to use as a reference for how tight they should be.

The strings will be as tight as they need depending on one thing and one thing only, TUNING! Not how tight the previous set was. It does no harm whatsoever to change out all the strings at once. Also, it's an ideal time to thoroughly clean the guitar, neck and all.
To the threadstarter, did you remember to put the bridge saddle back in?
Quote by Grey Dynasty
heh. too late now, but ill try tightening them more, just in case

Since you posted the above statement yesterday, I assume you already did it, and it's probably too late. Did you snap any strings? You don't tighten the strings until the buzz goes away. You tighten the strings until they are in tune. If it's in tune, and it still buzzes, then you have another problem. You should bone up on string changing before doing the job. It's easy, but there's a couple of fine points you should be aware of before doing it.
Go to Frets.com to read all about it.
A typical steel string acoustic guitar bridge saddle is shown in the pic below. It's the white piece that the strings rest on before heading up the neck to the tuners. The reason I asked is it seems like all of your strings are hitting the frets, so something common to all is the root cause here. And since most acoustic saddles are not glued in place, it could have fallen out while you were changing strings, and you didn't realize it until after you tried to tune up the guitar. I'm just guessing mind you.

oh my god.
thats exactly right.
i never even noticed the bridge was missing anything, i just noticed the strings were lower than usual.
now i just need to find the saddle.

thanks man.
Quote by Grey Dynasty
oh my god.
thats exactly right.
i never even noticed the bridge was missing anything, i just noticed the strings were lower than usual.
now i just need to find the saddle.

thanks man.

When you do find it and go to put it in, be sure it's installed so that the strings are lower on the high E side than on the bass E side. The saddle is tapered so that you get the right action across all the strings. Flat side is bottom, curved on top, and tapered to be lower on the high E. Easy.
And you're welcome.
^-- NO! i didn't mean it like that at all!

i was just saying that it was a great thread because dave had some crazy good intuition.
This is actually a great thread for those of us that are newbs and learning about this stuff. That is exactly a problem that I would be very likely to have as well and now when I re-string my guitar for the first time I will be aware to make sure the bridge is in place. Thanks Grey for taking one for the team and thanks Lefty for your guitar re-stringing lesson.
haha. yeah. thats a insane guess.

and my pleasure nub.
sad though that ive played three and a half years and i still had no idea what a saddle was.