A half stack consists of a head (preamp and poweramp) and a cabinet (speakers) while a combo has all preamp, poweramp, and speakers all together.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Yeah, I know that, but is there a difference in sound between the two?

EDIT: Could someone explain pre amp and poweramp, caue i am going to be getting a tube amp soon, and i am not familiar with those things?
Hello
they are really the same thing but the combo is more convienient(sp) while the cabinet i think is louder
There's no real difference in sound between similar models. Some of the best points of a combo are that they're all one unit and generally cheaper than having to purchase a cab and head separately. Stacks are more flexible in the way that you can use different cabs (speakers) or you can even use multiple heads for a single cab and switch from head to head as you see fit. Some feel that they're easier to carry because most larger combos tend to be awkwardly heavy, while heads are relatively lighter, and even cabs can be fairly easy to carry depending on the model and size.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
As said above there is absolutely no difference between a combo and half stack (and stack) besides casing.

An amp is made of three separate parts, the pre amp, the power amp, and the cab (box with the speakers in it). A combo amp packages all three components in one case. In a stack or half stack, the power amp and pre amp are in one case and the cabinet is separate. If you really want to get technical, there is also a rack where the power amp and pre amp are cased separately from one another.

Combos are better for small amps and practice amps. When you are going with larger and more expensive amps, I would go with a half stack because they are easier to move (two lighter pieces rather than one really heavy one) and because it opens up a lot more options.
Quote by Matheau
As said above there is absolutely no difference between a combo and half stack (and stack) besides casing.

An amp is made of three separate parts, the pre amp, the power amp, and the cab (box with the speakers in it). A combo amp packages all three components in one case. In a stack or half stack, the power amp and pre amp are in one case and the cabinet is separate. If you really want to get technical, there is also a rack where the power amp and pre amp are cased separately from one another.

Combos are better for small amps and practice amps. When you are going with larger and more expensive amps, I would go with a half stack because they are easier to move (two lighter pieces rather than one really heavy one) and because it opens up a lot more options.

but I wouldnt sell a good tube combo to get a head + cabinet. You can just move the combo and bring 4x12 cabinet along. The combo can power that, too.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard