So I thought i would take a walk in the woods of guitar making and I finally got started today.

well, I started earlier, but this is where the real fun stuff happened. :P

Quote by Guerrilla Radio
I finally got some actual work done on the thing this time around. I had some trouble the other time around when I wanted to bandsaw the thing up; over my vacation, the big part of the board started to bow, so I had to cut that in half and then re-glue them and wait overnight.

Today though, I finally some work done.

The body, glue unscraped.

Some form of a guitar takes place.

More work will be done on friday. I'm not sure whether i should have sawed to the line on the body or if I should sand down to that. Either way. I'll figure it out from UG.

And that's where you guys come in... as you can see, I haven't bandsawed the thing to the line I drew on it, and that's because I've seen so many builds where people leave some space for correction and stuff, and get rid of that extra wood by some method that i'm not sure of.

so can anyone help me out with that?

thanks.
Got a router? I make a template out of mdf and make the edges perfect then route
Well, the shop teacher has a router, but I don't want to make a template. Haha.

If it comes down to it then I will, but are there any other options beside jigsawing?

Btw, the wood is ash. Just to let you know.
Quote by Guerrilla Radio
Well, the shop teacher has a router, but I don't want to make a template. Haha.

If it comes down to it then I will, but are there any other options beside jigsawing?

Btw, the wood is ash. Just to let you know.

Templates are usually the easiest way, and if you mess up, most shop teachers give the mdf away because its so cheap

And did you try running it though a planer yet? Assuming your school has one.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Templates are usually the easiest way, and if you mess up, most shop teachers give the mdf away because its so cheap

And did you try running it though a planer yet? Assuming your school has one.

Yeah, I ran it through the planer already, and the top just needs to be sanded, My concern right now is getting the sides to shape the way I want them.
Just a suggestion but it looks like you are already getting very close to the lines, I would sand it down, I would use an oscillating sander and just be very careful and get everything down to the line and then hand sand for smoothness.
In order for evil to succeed, good men must do nothing...
I know it's too late, but you should have left the horns uncut until you routed out the neck cavity (I'm assuming a bolt-on neck). Gives you more meat for the base of the router. If you still have the parts you cut away, save them and put them back in place when you go to rout. If you do that, don't sand down the body yet as it will tip the router slightly and your pocket won't have a flat seat and you'll have a hell of a time trying to right it. Also, it doesn't look like you left enough meat for the neck. You may have to seat that neck deep into the body.
Last edited by Badorphan at Feb 27, 2008,
Why would I have to seat it deep in there? I don't have anything drilled yet for a bridge or anything, couldn't I just make the neck pocket and then measure for the bridge afterwards? I'll just make sure I have enough space for the bolts to hold it.
Looks fine to me, but your bottom cutaway won't be very deep
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
sand it with some 40 grit or something, on a belt sander, unless someone knows of a better way.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
I'm sorry, my description of having to seat the neck deep could be misinterpreted. I meant deep in toward the bridge. (usually there's a piece left sticking out to seat the neck http://www.5thstringberkeley.com/64%20Fender%20Strat%20back%20close.JPG )Which in turn would require the bridge to to be backed off closer to the edge of the body (toward the strap pin) to get proper intonation. Also, because of that, the tips of the horns may come all the way out to the 10th fret (guessing). I almost did the same thing to the first body I cut.
I don't think I'll have a problem with it. I made my plans on paper and got the rough measurements of where the bridge will be on the body and it seemed fine to me.
Maybe it's the picture. Do get those cut pieces though if you haven't thrown them away! Don't rout or drill anything in the stringline until you get that neck pocket routed out. Everything you do in that line grows off of the alignment of the neck. Also, when you are doing your routing (if you're doing it freehand with no jig), do not let anything distract you. Even if you catch on fire, stop the router first! Don't look away for even a second and make your pencil lines very dark as the dust will cloud them.
If you're making you electronics cover on the back and you want to recess it, cut your plastic first, trace the outline where you want it, rout the entire cavity at only the depth of the plastic. Then lay your plastic in this shallow cavity and then drill your screw holes. Then rout the deep part of the cavity the same shape but smaller leaving a small ledge of course and you can leave enough meat for your screw holes.
Hope you don't mind the tips. Good luck.
you NEED to use templates, its the only way to make it perfect (unless your realllly good)
Quote by Badorphan
Maybe it's the picture. Do get those cut pieces though if you haven't thrown them away! Don't rout or drill anything in the stringline until you get that neck pocket routed out. Everything you do in that line grows off of the alignment of the neck. Also, when you are doing your routing (if you're doing it freehand with no jig), do not let anything distract you. Even if you catch on fire, stop the router first! Don't look away for even a second and make your pencil lines very dark as the dust will cloud them.
If you're making you electronics cover on the back and you want to recess it, cut your plastic first, trace the outline where you want it, rout the entire cavity at only the depth of the plastic. Then lay your plastic in this shallow cavity and then drill your screw holes. Then rout the deep part of the cavity the same shape but smaller leaving a small ledge of course and you can leave enough meat for your screw holes.
Hope you don't mind the tips. Good luck.

Haha, I don't mind the tips. I love them. I need all the help I can get.

And I already put the cut out pieces in the scrap box, so they'll probably be gone, unfortunately.