I have been playing guitar for about 2 months now, i'm yet to get lessons, but... i noticed that on the electric guitar, i only pluck the strings with my thumb... and i hardly ever use picks (too uncomfortable, and i cant pluck 1 string) i have no problem using my all fingers on the bass, but the electric guitar and my fingers just do not go together. what should i do? before i learn ANYTHIGN on bass my parents are going to make em learn the guitar first, and i can understand that, but maybe i was just meant for bass. i can actually pluck pretty fast using just my thumb... but i get the feeling im doing this completly wrong
you cant get as fast as with a pick. if your serious about guitar, learn to use pick. if not and you want to play bass, you can get by I guess.
Fingerpicking is used for some classical/acoustic type styles.
You're right that is wrong. You should practice both fingerpicking and strumming with a pick, I think. If you don't you're just going to stunt your development on the guitar and have to relearn it at a later date, which is usually more difficult than learning it right to begin with.
unless you want to turn out as badly as that awesome possum kid, learn to use a pick; it's uncomfortable picking upwards at first, but you won't be able to play properly without learning
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
definatly get used to the pick...you wont get far without it....but dont get me wrong finger picking is awesome...but try and do finger picking to finger picking songs....like classical gas by mason williams...fade to black and nothing else matters by metallica....n e thin else get used to that pick...trust me youll need it
alright , i'll look into this... im practicing using all my fingers, because i can;t find any picks... i know i had 2 around here somewhere..
lmao i have no picks n e more so i use a deck of cards and when i dont have a pick i jus rip off a peice fold it in half and away i go....gotta love being a student >.> ....dont give up on finger picking though...jus find songs that support it...
Quote by blayzin420
lmao i have no picks n e more so i use a deck of cards and when i dont have a pick i jus rip off a peice fold it in half and away i go....gotta love being a student >.> ....dont give up on finger picking though...jus find songs that support it...

ahh, someone else who does this. i use anything i can find, old used up clarinet reeds, coins (i was using a penny a few minutes ago) a-...oh hey, theres a guitar pick under the computer moniter...which i apparently chewed on...
ouch pennys?....ur strings must hate ya lol....id stick to unmetal things if ur jus gettin started...strings hurt...i got one in the neck once and that S.O.B. stuck in there...hurt like a bitch....