Hey guys, i'm looking for a good blues pedal that'll get me really nice cleans and sometimes some really nice and light distortion. I'm trying to get that John Mayer type sound, you know really bassy and clean, some occassional crunchiness too. I'd be running it through a vox valvetronix. any suggestions>? thanks!
blues driver??
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
he uses a TubeScreamer and a BluesDriver
I plays guitars.
Last edited by 2003LP at Feb 27, 2008,
Quote by havocrus
Ibanez TS9 . Works best with tubes. As far as cleans, sonic maximizer.

I had the TS9 and I hated it....if you're going to go for a nice blues pedal...do it right. Go for the TS808....
2006 Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 10 Top w/birds
1999 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top w/ birds
Marshall JCM900 Half Stack
Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Boss RC-2, AC-2, FZ-3, TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
As always, all wrong.

To start with, most of Mayer's tone is in his fingers, as with all great guitarists, you can't emulate that. Most of the tone not from is fingers is from his amp, a Two Rock, which is pretty much impossible to get anywhere but California. However pedal-wise he uses lots of stuff. He has a keeley modded Blues Drive (the regular Boss one sounds like butt) and I think his 808 is Keeley as well. I know he owns a fuzz or two but don't know if he uses them, but that's the jist of his tone, not including all the other billions of pedals he has to make lots of different sounds.
Quote by Twevo
As always, all wrong.

To start with, most of Mayer's tone is in his fingers, as with all great guitarists, you can't emulate that. Most of the tone not from is fingers is from his amp, a Two Rock, which is pretty much impossible to get anywhere but California. However pedal-wise he uses lots of stuff. He has a keeley modded Blues Drive (the regular Boss one sounds like butt) and I think his 808 is Keeley as well. I know he owns a fuzz or two but don't know if he uses them, but that's the jist of his tone, not including all the other billions of pedals he has to make lots of different sounds.

Ok...then how can you say a suggested TS808 that I mentioned was wrong when you obviously stated he used it in his music?
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
^ Because the TS is not going to get close to his tone without the right amp and fingers, no matter what pedal he gets.

I would say just mess with your EQ on the Tweed setting for your amp with the gain cranked for his overdrive sounds. Save up for a nice tube amp and until then, don't waste money on pedals.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^ Because the TS is not going to get close to his tone without the right amp and fingers, no matter what pedal he gets.

I would say just mess with your EQ on the Tweed setting for your amp with the gain cranked for his overdrive sounds. Save up for a nice tube amp and until then, don't waste money on pedals.

Well of course not. I was merely suggesting a great pedal that gave him what he was looking for....great cleans and some great light distortion as well....

Still recommend a TS808...even if you can't sound exactly like Mayer....you can still get some amazing sounds.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by voodoochildsr22
Well of course not. I was merely suggesting a great pedal that gave him what he was looking for....great cleans and some great light distortion as well....

Still recommend a TS808...even if you can't sound exactly like Mayer....you can still get some amazing sounds.

Agreed. I still think a new amp is in order before a pedal because modeling amps tend to not work well with OD pedals and the valvetronix is no exception.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Agreed. I still think a new amp is in order before a pedal because modeling amps tend to not work well with OD pedals and the valvetronix is no exception.

yeah....I concur. Vox amps are nice but that specific amp isn't all that great. Maybe he should go with a nice Fender Blues Deville 2x12....or Peavey Classic 30...just for now. Those are great amps for decent prices.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Keeley TS808

"Used by
'Tony T' guitar player for Johnnie "B. Goode" Johnson (piano player and Songwriter for Chuck Berry) and now Bo Diddley!!! John Mayer has also picked up a few!"

There ya go..... Also a Modded Tubescreamer with the mod plus and 808 mod should get you there.
Whats the difference between the TS808 and TS9 anyways? Except the price :P
ESP EC-1000
Schecter Demon
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez SZ720FM
Fender Standard Strat
BC Rich MM Warlock
Jay Turser JTB-445
Takamine Jasmine C33
Crate Blackheart 5W
Traynor T10/B
Metal Muff
Quote by voodoochildsr22

dude, how can you love a 808 but hate a 9?
They sound very similar....
atleast to my ears.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Twevo
As always, all wrong.

It's not hard to get John Mayer's tone. He also uses Victoria Amps like Eric Clapton, which you can get online, and are basically hand-wired reissues of vintage Fender amps, so just get Bassman with a Keeley Blues Driver and TS-808, and you can get pretty damn close.
High as tits