I just got a new planet waves acoustic guitar humidifier and inside the manual it says I should use distilled water...

Does it really make a difference whether or not I used tap water? It's kind of inconvenient to use distilled water in the city that we use for drinking...
I have no idea if it makes a difference. If you can't find an answer I would just boil the tap water to use and call that close enough.
cheers betch
Quote by j.pagejr.
I have no idea if it makes a difference. If you can't find an answer I would just boil the tap water to use and call that close enough.

Yeah, this sounds like my best bet. Thanks for the quick response.
Tap water will probably lower the lifespan of the hmidifier, but that's it. It's not really feesible to use distilled water anyway.
sigh...
Quote by enceps
Tap water will probably lower the lifespan of the hmidifier, but that's it. It's not really feesible to use distilled water anyway.

Hm, it's one of those mini-sponge that sits in the guitar body type of deal, so I don't know, haha..

But yeah, it's not that realistic to assume everyone can use distilled water.
There's other considerations here besides. Many cities condition their water with flouride and chlorine, both chemicals which are harmful to the wood of a guitar and the finish on it. Granted, these chemicals are in very small quantities in the water, but what happens to them once the water evaporates? Do they just disappear? Maybe they float away from the guitar because they don't like the environment? I rather doubt it. Then there's the mineral content of the tap water. Minerals will eventually cause a buildup on the phoenolic sponge in the humidifier, lowering it's lifespan. As will those chemicals.
If you're recommended to use distilled, then use it. Besides, 1 gallon of distilled will last you a long long time, since you're only using a syringe full at a time.
The reason that distilled is recommended is because tap water contains impurities and heavy metals that over time will clog and reduce the effectiveness of your humidifier. Also, tap water also contains nutrients that can encourage the growth of mold. I am a cigar smoker and it is pretty much the gospel to use distilled water in the humidor. Or if you have an RO/DI filtration system, then that water would be perfect to use as well.
yeah dude, I drink distilled water religiously and its only like $0.64 a gallon from walmart or a little more are your local greocery store. Also, 1 gallon will last you maybe over a year. Just get distilled water, dude.
thanks for your help everyone. Yeah, I figured about the impurities in the tap water would be why they told me to use distilled water, the problem is that it didn't come with a syringe and distilled water is like $3-5 in my area for a gallon.

Not only that, my dad would expect to use the water for drinking as well, so it would go extra fast. Either way, though, I'm going to go around to getting some distilled water...if only just for now.

Thanks again for your help guys (especially the terrifying explanation of what fluoride and chlorine can do to my new baby D: )
Last edited by serizawa at Feb 28, 2008,
Quote by serizawa
thanks for your help everyone. Yeah, I figured about the impurities in the tap water would be why they told me to use distilled water, the problem is that it didn't come with a syringe and distilled water is like $3-5 in my area for a gallon.

Not only that, my dad would expect to use the water for drinking as well, so it would go extra fast. Either way, though, I'm going to go around to getting some distilled water...if only just for now.

Thanks again for your help guys (especially the terrifying explanation of what fluoride and chlorine can do to my new baby D: )

What the? You live in NY, so go to a Wal-Mart. 3-5 bucks for a gallon of water there? That's insane! It's about a dollar here in MN. Even so, at $5 for a gallon, it should last for the entire dry season, which is like 6 months right? lol
And tell your dad to go buy his own water, that's for your guitar to drink, not him! lol again!
I use distilled, only. I have a Planet Waves humidifier as well. I don't want any chances with mold. gross. Just hit up the grocery store.
@LeftyDave
Haha, impossible. I live in the city. I could tell my dad to get his own water maybe, haha. I'd feel bad, though.