What music do you want to play?

What gear do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The X2N is a ridiculously hot pickup, if you put it in the bridge. In a basswood body, it might be a little too trebly for your tastes.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I mostly want to play metal. I have a line 6 spider 3 75w right now.

I'm reading the reviews and it looks like the tremolo isn't very good on this guitar. Maybe I should look elsewhere?
I have the guitar. It's pretty comfortable for my tastes (metal, some blues) but I agree the pickups aren't the greatest. I don't have alot of information for you on buying new pickups, but the guitar itself seems solid to me.
Quote by DrNick
The X2N is a ridiculously hot pickup, if you put it in the bridge. In a basswood body, it might be a little too trebly for your tastes.

What kind of body would it sound best?
There are better guitars in the price range and I'd probably hold off on replacing the pickup until you get a new amp.

Is a trem a necessary for the guitar you want?

You're not going to be able to use any of the trems too often on guitars in that price range.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Pow3rSlave
I have the guitar. It's pretty comfortable for my tastes (metal, some blues) but I agree the pickups aren't the greatest. I don't have alot of information for you on buying new pickups, but the guitar itself seems solid to me.

Is the trem bad? Does it go out of tune a lot?
If you want a trebly sound, then by all means go for an X2N in basswood, but I'd say try it in mahogany, which would counteract some of the higher end. And yeah, a new amp might be in order, and the trems in that price range won't be very reliable.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by giantsfanftw
Is the trem bad? Does it go out of tune a lot?

I don't mind it, but at the same time I don't mess with it alot. It definitly doesn't go out of tune alot. The only real downfall IMO is the pickups and since you're going to replace those anyway, I think you would be satisfied.
Quote by FacingUsAll
There are better guitars in the price range and I'd probably hold off on replacing the pickup until you get a new amp.

Is a trem a necessary for the guitar you want?

You're not going to be able to use any of the trems too often on guitars in that price range.

Ya trem is definitely something I want on the next guitar I get
Hagstrom F-20

Spectacular guitar for the price.
Quote by utsapp89
Well if you're willing to gamble on an LFR...

Agile Valkyrie 24 Floyd...
Quote by utsapp89
i have that guitar, had it for about a year, its falling apart on me, the input fell out, among many other fixable but annoying problems. and its heavy. and you are half right, the bridge pickup is s*it, but the neck pickup aint bad at all
Go for it man. I put some custom pups in my GRG170DX and they sound great. I mean, even if they don't suit the wood, they are yours. It's not like a hollow investment, they are yours forever man. My GRG with the customs sound like a fat Les Paul, so it;s a good investment if you like the playability.

With the pups of your choice though, you like treble, right?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I have this guitar and its great for beginners; if you're more experienced save up and get a higher end model. id recommend the jackson dxmg. and also the bridge on the grg is practically useless for any tremolo effects cos it just cant hold tune.