ok here is the situation, i have been learning to play guitar since november and up until a week ago thought that was what i wanted to do. last week i got to "jam" with a friend of mine i dont usually get to see because they go to college across the state from me. anyways that friend plays bass and at some point during that session let me play his bass guitar. i played around for about 5 to 10 minutes with it and immeadiatly felt at home on it. granted i was playing it with a pick and all i could do with it was try to adapt guitar scales/riffs/etc to the bass i loved it.... so with that behind me i think i want to change from playing guitar to bass and wanted to know if anything will carry over or if ill be starting from scratch( i know a few scales ranging from major scale patterns to the blues scale and im begining to learn pentatonics) and also i need to find a bass guitar and amp for around $500 so im open to suggestions on the 2. im not currently out anything on the guitar bc its a loner thanks almighty ug for the help.
all a bass is is the lower 4 strings of a guitar down an octave...unless u get a 5 string then its that plus a low b...like on 7string guitars...i played bass first then went to guitar...then back to bass...then i discovered the 7string...now thats all i play lol
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by albinokrikit
all a bass is is the lower 4 strings of a guitar down an octave...unless u get a 5 string then its that plus a low b...like on 7string guitars...i played bass first then went to guitar...then back to bass...then i discovered the 7string...now thats all i play lol

hes right, about it being the lower four strings, but thats not "all" it is. its a totally different instrument. your not gonna be playing lead anymore, or cutting through the mix that obviously, but your one of the most important people in the entire band.

timing and rhythm is more important than technical skill. along with theory and knowledge of what to play over any progression, without being boring and just playing the root notes (like most guitarists, including myself will do, when we pick up a bass)

check out some of the stickies in the bass forums, im sure you'll learn a lot. i was actually thinking of picking up bass as a supplement to guitar, cause your so valuable in a band environment.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
yeah thanks for the help... in the process of checkin out the bass forums, i tended to have a good rythymm on the guitar anyways so thats a plus. i dont really mind not being in the spotlight and with everything ive done before now i was a good team player(my final senior season just came to an end)