I am in the process of upgrading my bass and came across the Fender Reggie Hamilton in my local music shop yesterday. Great bass had all the sounds I wanted and felt just fine to play (so I thought) BUT it was heavy as hell !!

I reckon thing bass must have been about 4.5 kilo's (~10 pounds). Just wondering if anyone else out there has a Reggie that weighs a ton ? Maybe it was just the one I played ?
The Reggie I played was medium weight - and 10lbs is just about medium weight. My Jazz is about 9.5lbs and it's kinda light. My Warwick's at 11 and feels about right, and my Precision's 16lbs, and THAT is heavy.

Light basses 9/10 are a very bad thing. There's a lot of tone in wood density. But, even then, 10lbs is REALLY not heavy.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
10lbs is REALLY not heavy.

Yeah, but even then its not fun when you weigh 115 pounds

But 10 lbs is by no means bad. And unless you have SERIOUS back problems, the weight of the bass should not be something that governs whether you buy something or not.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Yeah, but even then its not fun when you weigh 115 pounds

Man, I can't remember when I was 115lbs. That might have something to do with my still being in my mother's uterus at the time.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
A good strap will help immensely with any weight problems, i recently bought a heavy duty 3+" strap and it made my 6 string feel light as a feather (and balance better, too)
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
yeah, as the guy above said, thicker strap=distribution of weight
no idea how heavy mine is, Fender Jazz, but it feels heavier than my Yamaha and a Squier i tried in the shop
sounds better too :P still buzzing from the excitement of getting it on monday, hehe
i'm sure people have had enough of me talking about it by now
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Yes - a good thick (3") strap should help disperse the weight. Am gonna head back to the store and play the Reggie again and hopefully this time they will also have an American Standard available so I can play both back to back and see what I think in terms of sounds and playability.

In the end if the heavier bass is the one that has the sound and feel I want then so be it !
Also, don't poo-poo modern materials. I have a 3.5" neoprene strap. Yeah, it stretches like a sumbitch, and I only have it set up to one bass, but it's really thick and makes the bass feel almost weightless.
Quote by Cody_Grey102