So, a while back I asked some questions about effects. I've been leaning towards a wah pedal, but an envelope filter is not of the question. The problem is that no one here seems to carry envelope filters and I dont want to order one without sampling it.

So far I have two major questions.

1. I played a dunlop crybaby(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Crybaby-105Q-Bass-Wah-Pedal?sku=151096) at the local music store. I liked the sound I got and the price was $129.99, just 10 bucks more than online. I also trekked down to another music store(in search for an envelope filter)and sampled some of their pedals. They didnt have any bass wahs but they had a budda wah pedal(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Budda-BudWah-Wah-Pedal?sku=152111) I played this, and it didnt sound so bad, but am I better off sticking with the bass specific wah?

2. What are the pros and cons for buying online with pedals. Not this case, but often some of the stores around here can be a little overpriced when it comes to pedals. for example, one store listes the crybaby 105Q 30 bucks over the price online.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
buy whatever wah sounds best, doesnt matter if its for a bass or guitar. My bass player uses a guitar crybaby.

Really you're fine buying online from a trusted dealer (ie, musicians friend). i like to try the item out first in a store then order one online if the price is cheaper.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Buying new brand names online shouldn't be a problem. Buying a crybaby used is a big risk. If the potentiometer is scratchy, replacing it could almost be as expensive as the pedal itself. I use a guitar crybaby - modified to have slightly more midrange. Because of the loss of low-end and volume when it's kicked it, I have a second channel boosted to compensate live.
buying from a trusted site, Musiciansfriend, Music123, AMS. is usually a cheaper way to go. if you tried them and like what you played, then ordering online is fine, but if you want it right there and now. get it from the store.
IMO your better off with a bass wah. A guitar wah kills your bass more than a bass wah will (most do it at least a LITTLE). And if you buy in a store, get them to throw in an adapter, patch cable, whatever. Otherwise, its not worth spending the money there. If you buy online from a site like Musiciansfriend, then you get a better deal. If you are okay with buying a used wah, you can save a good 30-40 bucks over the store no problem. But, scawti pointed out something you may want to consider.
Quote by bigwilly
So, a while back I asked some questions about effects. I've been leaning towards a wah pedal, but an envelope filter is not of the question. The problem is that no one here seems to carry envelope filters and I dont want to order one without sampling it.

So far I have two major questions.

1. I played a dunlop crybaby(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Crybaby-105Q-Bass-Wah-Pedal?sku=151096) at the local music store. I liked the sound I got and the price was $129.99, just 10 bucks more than online. I also trekked down to another music store(in search for an envelope filter)and sampled some of their pedals. They didnt have any bass wahs but they had a budda wah pedal(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Budda-BudWah-Wah-Pedal?sku=152111) I played this, and it didnt sound so bad, but am I better off sticking with the bass specific wah?

2. What are the pros and cons for buying online with pedals. Not this case, but often some of the stores around here can be a little overpriced when it comes to pedals. for example, one store listes the crybaby 105Q 30 bucks over the price online.

But if the online price is just $10-$30 cheaper, won't you have to pay that much in shipping anyway?
Quote by Charlatan_001
But if the online price is just $10-$30 cheaper, won't you have to pay that much in shipping anyway?

From musiciansfriend, orders over $100 ship free. But you still have to get another cable and an adapter.