got an ibanez gsr 200 thanks for the help
Last edited by jp58 at Mar 16, 2008,
Either the J bass or the ESP seems good to me.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I agree the J bass or ESP. Depends on what sound you want. The J bass has smoother sounding pickups.
Harfang < me
Plenty of stuff will carry over. If you learned all the notes on the fret board it's the same for a bass if you only get a 4 string. Scales are the same, the way you fret notes is the same. Bass does have a different role. You're going to have to get used to not being the number one person on stage and being to play whatever you want. You need to know your role.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
Plenty of stuff will carry over. If you learned all the notes on the fret board it's the same for a bass if you only get a 4 string. Scales are the same, the way you fret notes is the same. Bass does have a different role. You're going to have to get used to not being the number one person on stage and being to play whatever you want. You need to know your role.

... or you could ignore the condescending and ignorant primadonna guitar players who think they know more about music than they actually do, chuckle with the drummer, and do your thing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
well seeing as i dont mind being a team player ( high school sports background) so i know the scale patterns wont cross over but the scales remain the same right? what would be a good direction to go once i get my bass? should i learn to play fingerstyle or slap? also i have been learning more rhythym timing and scales than songs( i had general music for half a semester) and i have began to learn to read music.
Learn finger style then learn whatever you want. Playing styles are not mutually exclusive.
there are alot of things you can carry over. note positions, scales, etc. but there are many differences in bass too.

as for which to get. ima agree with the esp and J.

the J you get the J pickup, the esp you get P and J pickus.

but i think the ESP has a 35" neck where the J has a 34"
well as for the length im 6' 2 so length isnt a concern and i plan on trying b4 i buy... i have a decent bit of guitar practice in (at least an hour or more almost everyday) so i hope to hit the ground running so to speak. anyways i dont know whether to spend a little more on the bass guitar or to get a good amp. also does anyone have a suggestion on the amp i should get.
Quote by thefitz
... or you could ignore the condescending and ignorant primadonna guitar players who think they know more about music than they actually do, chuckle with the drummer, and do your thing.

+the freaking sun

As for an amp... I just got myself a $300 SWR LA15... and I'm quite fond of it. Though Fitz would probably tell me I'm an idiot for getting an amp with 3-band EQ. I like rich, full lows, and the 15" speaker and +-12 db EQ afford me that, but the LA12 sounds amazing if you want some more punch. IMHO.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of GK. Any Gallien-Krueger amplification (though not necessarily speakers) you get your hands on will probably make your day... though for the price range, good luck.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
so anyway im a take a guitar center trip tomoro and was wondering what to look for in a bass i mean i know the essentials[frets arent razors...] but is there any bass specific things i should check out?
I'm always a little more won-over by 3-band EQs. But no matter how many bands the bass has, make sure you play around with the EQ on them to check out the kind of range and centralization it has. This is more important in your amp of course, but it should NOT be overlooked on your bass. You played guitar, you know how to EQ.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
yay... the guitar center trip was fun... i got to play around for a bit... anyways gc doesnt carry esp's so umm yeah there, but the do have ibanez just not wat i wanted so i improvized and played the model above it on all the amps in my price range... im still not for sure wat to get however i liked one amps punch pretty good but i dont remember exactly which one it was, anyways i had learned a scale for the trip so i didnt look stupid and to compare stuff with and wow... so im stil open to any recomendations on the amp and im going back to gc tuesday with my bassist friend
Last edited by jp58 at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by WhyLater
I'm always a little more won-over by 3-band EQs. But no matter how many bands the bass has, make sure you play around with the EQ on them to check out the kind of range and centralization it has. This is more important in your amp of course, but it should NOT be overlooked on your bass. You played guitar, you know how to EQ.

+1. Also, graphic EQ's on heads/combos are a huge plus IMO.
Yeah man. I have an Ibanez GSR200 too. But i must say the first few frets are non-existent so you will need to get them to sort out your action before you take it home, saves time in the long run.
Quote by Charlatan_001
+1. Also, graphic EQ's on heads/combos are a huge plus IMO.

imho the more features an amp has at a given price point means that less has been spent on each individual component.i would look at an amp without all the bells and whistles and add a proper eq later.......they can be found for under 200 bux any day of the week.....as long as there is a pre out circuit.most serious audio guys gravitate to components that perform a single function well as opposed to one that tries to do everything