I have been playing guitar for somewhere over a year (not two yet though...) and have no idea what to do next. I can do all the basic things like alternate picking, harmonics and all that. I use (or try when there is enough) all of my fingers (index,middle,ring,pinky). I can do VERY basic sweep picking, and when I try to learn shapes, that doesn't go very well and my fingers go all over the place. I know very very few chords and some other ones I know but don't know the name of. I tried learning music theory but not very far into that and I got confused with notes and intervals and whatnot (I don't know the "key of C" or otherwise, notes). That was a horrific failure. Then I was trying to play some of the fast parts of songs (for instance, fills and part of the solo in Crazy Train). People kept telling me to practice over and over slowly until I get it down and gradually work my way up. So here I am, practicing these things for about 5 days (literally, not exaggeration) and never got up to speed. I always got up to 1/2 to 3/4 of the speed, and despite continuous practice, still trying to "gradually work my way up", did not get any closer to reaching full speed. It simply stopped. There were some parts of songs that I didn't play because I needed a wah pedal, and now I have one, but the problem with that is that those parts are also really fast. Sorry for the huge wall of text.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
learn chords... i hate hearing people say they cant play the solo from whatever song and ask what they should do to practice. Learn some f'ing chords and some scales. If you have a better understanding of the guitar everything will be easier
the thing is ur blowing past the basics...u gott get the basics down before u try shredding it....learnyour chords and some more scales....when u can fluently go up and down the scale with alternate pickin then come back to the solo and youll be alot better at it....trust me...ive been playing for lil over a year now to...and i can do some pretty cool solos....but i didnt even think about doing them till a few months ago...so put the sweep picking on hold and go back to basics....youll be alot better when u come back to it
Quote by blayzin420
the thing is ur blowing past the basics...u gott get the basics down before u try shredding it....learnyour chords and some more scales....when u can fluently go up and down the scale with alternate picking then come back to the solo and youll be alot better at it....trust me...ive been playing for lil over a year now to...and i can do some pretty cool solos....but i didnt even think about doing them till a few months ago...so put the sweep picking on hold and go back to basics....youll be alot better when u come back to it

I can... the blues scale and some other scale. (Though the blues scale isn't the way I remember it being when I knew it before.)
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
I agree, you need to learn as many chords as possible, I've been playing over two years and wish I had focused on more chords earlier. So many awesome songs can be broken down into really simply chord progressions and improved on as you get better at them. I still don't even think about solos. Once you know enough chords move to barr-chords. The more chords the better you'll be.
Quote by Dreal
I agree, you need to learn as many chords as possible, I've been playing over two years and wish I had focused on more chords earlier. So many awesome songs can be broken down into really simply chord progressions and improved on as you get better at them. I still don't even think about solos. Once you know enough chords move to barr-chords. The more chords the better you'll be.

When I learn a song, I break it into chords so it's easier. Granted, I don't know the name of the chords, but it still works. Also I can already do barre chords. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
practise practise practise man eventually youll fingers will get there....and keep ur fingers relaxed...relaxing is the key to speed....jus think of them as rubber bands whipping back and forth...lol if that makes sense....learn a few more solos and come back to it later and youll be alot better at it
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
Quote by blayzin420
practise practise practise man eventually youll fingers will get there....and keep ur fingers relaxed...relaxing is the key to speed....jus think of them as rubber bands whipping back and forth...lol if that makes sense....learn a few more solos and come back to it later and youll be alot better at it

What solos would you recommend then?
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
the first solo i learned was the intro one from wish you were here....nothing else matters all of them arent that hard....the first one of master of puppets...fade to black begginning solo...thats where i first learned sweep picking...its only a little part so u should be able to do it....i play alot of metallica so thats mostly what i know lol...oh and sweet childe of mine...the first couple of solos and the intro...go to youtube they should have most if not all of them in video lessons
my gear lol:
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Quote by blayzin420
the first solo i learned was the intro one from wish you were here....nothing else matters all of them arent that hard....the first one of master of puppets...fade to black begginning solo...thats where i first learned sweep picking...its only a little part so u should be able to do it....i play alot of metallica so thats mostly what i know lol...oh and sweet childe of mine...the first couple of solos and the intro...go to youtube they should have most if not all of them in video lessons

Can't do one part of the sweet child o mine solo (the fast part). Then again, I never really tried because I didn't have a wah pedal for it... Also I just learned the intro to Whitewash by Buckethead. It's not really hard...

Also things that I can play:
Most of the solo to Crazy Train (Randy Rhoads and Ozzy)
Most of the solo to Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns N' Roses)
The intro and past the first solo and most of the main solo of One (Metallica)
Intro to Carry on Wayward Son (Kansas)

Theres probably more but can't think of them.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Last edited by Slash546 at Feb 28, 2008,
One year is not a very long time to be playing. I've been playing since I was 13 and and I'm 39 now and I still suck at certain things and need to practice and work at it. If you want to get good, practice a lot and play songs a lot. Work on chords, scales and songs and play as much as you can. Take lessons if that's an option.
thats all ya gotta do man...learn a bunch of solos and practise them all the time....itll help you when u improv too....cause then you can learn a few more licks...best to learn from the experts first lol....
my gear lol:
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru

Quote by UncleCthulhu