Well, I have a single pickup guitar and I'm having the EMG 81 and 85 from my old Jackson removed. I could probably sell the set for about $150 or sell the 85 for $80-ish.

What does UG recommend, sell both and buy a Blackout or LiveWire or stick with my 81?

I want to stay with active pups, I'm used to them and they sound better for high gain metal to me. I've been curious about the Live Wires and Dave Mustaine set, but lets hear it.
I've heard lots of good things about Blackout's but can't comment myself, as I've never played them.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I think the 81 sound is to strong. YOu can't get rid of the gratting high end. I'd stuff the 85 in the bridge, and get an 89 for the neck.

Blackouts are pricey! But I haven't tried them. Have you tried 18 volts in your EMG's?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Keep the 81 and get you a Tubescreamer, it does wonders on that 5150 you have...

I'm not a fan of Tubescreamers, they have never sounded right to me. I like my tone just fine as it is, I'm just putting either the same pickup I was using or a new one into my new guitar.

Quote by leadfootdriver
I think the 81 sound is to strong. YOu can't get rid of the gratting high end. I'd stuff the 85 in the bridge, and get an 89 for the neck.

Blackouts are pricey! But I haven't tried them. Have you tried 18 volts in your EMG's?

Its a single pickup guitar. No I haven't, but I've heard it works wonders. I would probably sell the 81 and 85 if I did that and buy a blackout, so it'd pay for itself.
Quote by rwalby9
I'm not a fan of Tubescreamers, they have never sounded right to me. I like my tone just fine as it is, I'm just putting either the same pickup I was using or a new one into my new guitar.

Its a single pickup guitar. No I haven't, but I've heard it works wonders. I would probably sell the 81 and 85 if I did that and buy a blackout, so it'd pay for itself.

If you like the tone the way it is then why are you wanting different pickups?
Stay with the 81.... Problem solved...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
If you like the tone the way it is then why are you wanting different pickups?
Stay with the 81.... Problem solved...

Because I have to swap it out into the new guitar anyway, I just wanted to see if there was anything better and what my other options might be. There is always room for improvement.
Thats understandable...

And from what i have read. The blackouts are more guitar sensitive, there sort of in-between actives and passives in a since. Emg's tend to mask out bad wood or a bad guitar but the blackouts wont. Also there not as compressed or harsh sounding and more versatile.

The live wires pickups are basically, active versions of the Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB . So if your like the way the passives sound then you will like these.

Now heres the kicker most people going from passives to actives like the way EMG's sound for metal because they are harsh and the output higher allows for more gain and so on. So going to a passive sounding active pickup might not be your thing if you really like the sound of EMG's and metal. If your looking for a good sounding passive get bareknuckles. If you are looking for active tone get EMG's. Thus the reason i don't see why people would want a passive sounding active pickup...
The blackouts are sick, there's no doubt about that. What I find strange is that everywhere I look, it's always active, active active, EMG, EMG, EMG, and thats cool, but I think the Blackouts are REALLY underrated for how good they sound. I would definitely sell the EMG and buy a blackout, OR, go to a store and try out a guitar with blackouts. I use the Invaders from Seymour Duncan, which are possibly the hottest passive pickups out there, and I love them, but a big part of me wishes I went blackouts....
After I A/Bed the Blackouts and EMGs, I think that the Blackouts sound better. They sounded much thicker, fuller, and had more dynamic, to my ears. If you're into harmonics, I think they put Zakk Wylde's to shame. They've also got a ****load more output than the EMGs, if that's your thing.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Blackouts, hands down.

I bought them a while ago and put them into my Schecter, replacing a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom, and a JB, and i've never even thought about getting another pickup.

Ridiculously high output, very dynamic, boomy low ends (way more than EMG's), thick mids, shrill highs, just an amazing pickup all-round.
2003 Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts
2006 Epiphone 66' Re-Issue SG
1980's USA Fender Stratocaster w/ 50's Gibson Humbucker
Fender Deluxe 112 Plus Amplifier
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amplifier
Peavey Basic 50 Amplifier
Pod XT Pro
i recon the blackouts

ive just gone and put Bare Nuckle Nail Bombs in my ibanez

i recon they sound beter than actives, and dont have to worry bout the battery