Hey,
Just today, I opened up a UPS box containing my danlectro wasabi overdrive which I scored for 20 bucks off of MF.
Built like a brick, and quite huge for an overdrive.
But anyways, when ran into the lead channel of my peavey classic, running before my modded tubescreamer, I seriously have gotten much closer to my "perfect" screaming lead tone (basically Eric Johnson).
Well, since I have both my tubescreamer and wasabi running (they both give a little bit of their own gain. I have my TS set to give a little volume spike, and enough gain to make a clean signal give a decent amount of drive, which is just maybe dirty blues level. The wasabi set up the same, to give a little volume spike, but with less gain, and the mix control turned down so I get a purer tone). Anyways, I have both of these pedals running into my peavey classic 50's lead channel (with the preamp gain dimed, which really isn't too much gain. It's like an old clapton amount of gain.).
So, can I hurt something in my amp, or could I hurt one of my pedals if I run it like this? It really sounds incredible, so I hope I can't hurt anything. I would love to keep this tone. Also, since I mostly played at low volumes... If I turned up this exact same setup to a higher volume (on the amp), will it stand a chance of hurting something?

Edit: Oh, and i'm using a strat with vintage output pickups.

And also, this may be a LITTLE off topic, but is the practice of using two overdrives a rather common one? I know that SRV used two TS'es at once (at one time in his career at least), but that's all I know.

Thanks in advance!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Feb 28, 2008,
Your pedals will definitely be fine. The only way it might hurt your amp is if the combined volume increase is too much for your speaker to handle. I'd try it out with your amp's volume on low, and then increase it to an appropriate level.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
All right. I won't crank my amp's volume too high. Maybe to gigging volumes most of the time when I play outside of my bedroom (which is about 6 out of 12 on my peavey) Plus, it's the peavey classic 410 version, so the combined maximum wattages of the speakers adds up to be quite a bit I would believe?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
just make sure you don't turn up the volume on the second pedal too high. then it'll be fine. you can definately turn it up your amp if you want to.
Quote by viper_mike
just make sure you don't turn up the volume on the second pedal too high. then it'll be fine. you can definately turn it up your amp if you want to.

So hold on... Here's my practice rig:

Strat-->DOD YJM308 (bypassed at this time)-->Dano Wasabi OD-->Tubescreamer-->Peavey Classic 50

I would have to turn up the tubescreamer to hurt something? What settings would hurt it? Right now, it's at like 3 of 10 as for volume.

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
All right. I won't crank my amp's volume too high. Maybe to gigging volumes most of the time when I play outside of my bedroom (which is about 6 out of 12 on my peavey) Plus, it's the peavey classic 410 version, so the combined maximum wattages of the speakers adds up to be quite a bit I would believe?

Sound pressure level, measured in decibels(dB), is different from wattage, which is amp power driving the speakers. If you have one speaker pushing 60dB and you add a second speaker, also pushing 60dB, the net volume increase is 3.01dB. So, based on that, a 4x12 cab is actually only about 6dB louder than a single 12" but it's pushing a lot more air from more surface area. It helps it sound huge by delivering sound to more air.
Quote by carpepax
Sound pressure level, measured in decibels(dB), is different from wattage, which is amp power driving the speakers. If you have one speaker pushing 60dB and you add a second speaker, also pushing 60dB, the net volume increase is 3.01dB. So, based on that, a 4x12 cab is actually only about 6dB louder than a single 12" but it's pushing a lot more air from more surface area. It helps it sound huge by delivering sound to more air.

All right, but I was talking about the maximum load that my speakers can handle. four ten inch speakers, with reasonable maximum wattage handling add up to quite a bit more than 50 watts.
But, i'll bring your post into consideration. That'll help in my decision to get another cab.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It wont hurt anything, I have a modded tubescreamer, modded distortion plus, emg 81, high gain clicked in on the amp, using high gain input, running through a 18 volt eq pedal. And the tube amp loves it.......

Now if this was a Solid State amp... LOL lets just say it would be bad...
You absolutely cannot blow up a tube amp with pedals in front of it. There was a pedal I saw somewhere that used a transformer inside for something like a 150V clean boost (most are 9 or 18) . It would kill a SS amp, but a tube amp would be fine.
The only thing to worry about is the speaker, I don't know what the rating is in the classic 50 but I'm guessing they have a large enough one in there that you don't need to worry.
No matter how much pedal or preamp gain you feed it shouldn't damage the speaker. The most common kind of damage is caused by transient peaks which are generated by the power amp. Sometimes an amp driven to its limits (master on 10, gain on 10) can generate a power spike that can knock the speakers' voice coil out of alignment or in extreme cases can tear the cone. If you aren't at that power level it shouldn't be a problem, though you may encounter some speaker distortion which many tube amp users like. Just don't run full power.
Quote by uldhppi
No matter how much pedal or preamp gain you feed it shouldn't damage the speaker. The most common kind of damage is caused by transient peaks which are generated by the power amp. Sometimes an amp driven to its limits (master on 10, gain on 10) can generate a power spike that can knock the speakers' voice coil out of alignment or in extreme cases can tear the cone. If you aren't at that power level it shouldn't be a problem, though you may encounter some speaker distortion which many tube amp users like. Just don't run full power.

Alright. I am alone at home today, so I decided to crank the lead channel with my pedals running into it. I cranked it up to (approximate) band practice volume, and it was only like at 5 out of 12.
So, I'll make not sure to max out my amp.
Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
So is OD pretty good, is worth 20 bucks? I'm thinking of getting one as back up, just in case. So how does it compare to a TS 808, TS9, Bad Monkey?
Quote by Johnbryant
So is OD pretty good, is worth 20 bucks? I'm thinking of getting one as back up, just in case. So how does it compare to a TS 808, TS9, Bad Monkey?

On it's own, it's nice on the clean channel using one of the preset EQ's. The mix control is VERY nice too. The clean boost is worth more than 20 on it's own.
On the dirty channel... Lets just say it's not great on it's own on the dirty channel of an amp. Better than alot of other OD's though.
But... When you have something like a tubescreamer (like i'm doing) after it.
You seriously get this incredibly smooth Eric Johnson tone. Plus, you get like days of sustain.

Seriously.

For 20 bucks... it's 150% worth getting.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Johnbryant

I was wondering this as well. I especiall wanted to know if it is better than a bad monkey and if the EQ presets made it really versatile. Thanks for not killing me for jacking this thread.
The EQ presets make it pretty versatile. The only EQ preset I liked (remember, i'm a tone freak, the others may be impressive to your ears) was number 1. It's like my amp on the lead channel with no pedals. Minus the tube warmth, but for non-tone freaks, it'll sound great.
And you're welcome.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator