I have reached an interesting paradox here. My two strongest influences are Pink Floyd and Tool, with Zeppelin a close third. It's really noticeable in my songs, one will be dreamlike and floaty and will have blues inspired rambling way up on the fret board, while the other is heavy rythm oriented stuff that's distorted. I don't know what to do here, will trying to play both kinds of music in a live situation scare people off?
Quote by Avedas
No, we call that "experimental". Go for it.

by mixing them together? I have tried, and it's worked somewhat, I just think it'll take more time.
so take the time, thats how new genres are made, without black sabbath experimenting we wouldnt have metal, and the list could go on
play both styles, song by song, different styles lead to different songs will make writting stuff better and less boring cause its not all the same
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
this is why we have breakdowns and interludes....im the same way with the mix of heavy and light.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
if you can interlude from comfortably numb to vicarious, please, show me how.
Quote by Zar Mulix
+1

+2 to Opeth...

and i might not be able to interlude from comfortably numb to vicarious because...well, while they are different, i was referring to "interluding" in your own original pieces. i mean, sure there is a way to go from comfortably numb to vicarious, but i dont know comfortably numb, but hell, im sure quite a few people on this forum can find a way to do it. we're creative people.

what i was just trying to say is play the heavy stuff clean and the light stuff distorted. mix it up, always gives me new ideas. hell i threw a ton of gain over "Pure Imagination" from willy wonka, it sounded awesome. do what others said; experiment.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I sort of see what you mean, I have that problem. I play gilmour stuff and hard punk.

Listen to "Aqualung" by jethro Tull. The rock section is fairly acoustic, but played harder, which is a good way to blend the two styles together.

Plus, of course, the tull are absolutely fantastic.
thanks for the advice dudes, I've never listened to Opeth, hopefully they are a brand new band I love. It's awsome when that happens.

edit: the guitar work in Opeth is pretty good, but the vocals, blech, I can't stand screamy stuff like that
Last edited by farcry at Feb 28, 2008,