So basically, if I read stuff right, most peoples opinion on UG is that you shouldn't memorize the box shapes and then work on combining them. Somehow learning the intervals will teach you. I haven't heard a serious alternative to memorizing the box shapes on how to see scales on the fretboard, though.

So I've spent some time thinking of an alternative. I tried to keep it as simple and beginner friendly as possible. Rather then teach theory, which has been covered innumerable times, I'm trying to build a theory-friendly method to the fretboard. I also think my method would be quicker then rote memorization. However, it'll probably work best with people who know intervals or WWHWWWH and have seen the box shapes, but haven't memorized them yet. When I post it as a lesson on UG, a link to the Crusades or theory sticky probably wouldn't hurt.

To the people who do know theory, if you read through it do you think it would be a good foundation for seeing and understanding the scale and modes in the fretboard and not simply "boxes". Do you have a better method that you think someone starting out would actually use. Also, I've already spotted errors myself, so if you see any feel free to yell at me. I after all wrote most of this at 3 in the morning. I know people here love to flame, but even if you hate it and think it's the stupidest, most confusing idea ever, at least tell me why.

To the people who are trying to memorize the fretboard
, if you use this method I'm extremely interested in anything you find confusing. How long it actually takes you to understand what I'm saying, and how long it takes you to apply it when you're soloing/practicing. Or if you even can apply it. Also, what level of theory/boxes you knew beforehand. Would you be interested in more patterns and rules like these? Do you actually feel they're useful to you? Anything you would cut out? One thing I didn't expand on much was moving vertically and jumping around, do you feel comfortable with that, or should I expand on it more?

The second two probably won't make sense unless you read the first one. Since I spent quite a bit of time making up terms in the first one. All of them are drafts, but the second two are especially rough atm.

1. Memorizing the Major Scale: the Core Idea Behind All of this...
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=df3r8hc9_6g2ndwjhs&hl=en

2. Supplemental: How to quickly switch to a parallel modes...
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=df3r8hc9_7sz9g9dcj&hl=en
3. Supplemental: Memorizing the pent.
I don't like this one as much, and it's very likely I'll change the method I use on it.
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=df3r8hc9_9c7g8tppv&hl=en
Actually everybody here seems to think that learning your major scale box shape is very useful in all ways. When people say 'practise your scales' that's why.
LOL. I actually wrote something like that a long time ago and posted it:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308518&highlight=relativity

The idea is to use "landmarks" (very simple repeating shapes) and a bit of information
about how they connect. You can map out the entire major scale that way. What's
more, seeing where the scale degrees are falls out of it quite easily.

A similar system can easily work for the pentatonics as well.
i learned the box shapes of scales for a while, then went on to expand to the notes themselves.

I think playing in the box helped my phrasing
I've found boxes to be very useful, especially in my first improvisations, when I was just learning the major and pentatonic scales. Now I know a lot more about theory, and the simple intervals of a scale are enough to teach it to me in all keys (learning the notes on the fretboard are VITAL) but, for starting out on some scales, or if you're just in some punk band and want to know where those br00t4l power chords lie, then learning box shapes are a great start.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.
@edg

I saw your post when I searched to make sure no one already had this down.(if you care, your post is the second result in google for "diagonal fretboard pattern").