Sorry if im reposting but i couldn't find this. I tend to listen to whatever is in my itunes and when i hear something that sounds complicated ill print the tabs for it. Then I keep playing it until i feel like i could play it in front of people without messing up. I also try to be mindful to improve weaknesses like using my pinky more, theory, etc.
Are you asking for advice or just want to know how other people do it?
I could write songs as bad as Wham's if I really felt the urge to, but what's the point? - RS
Once every month or two I take a few minutes to look at where my playing is at, where I want it to be, and what I need to do to get me there. Then I spend a few minutes figuring out some good exercises. Then I run through those exercises, along with a quick run-through of common scales, and a run up and down the neck with barre chords to keep that all pulled together. Basically, I do 30 minutes of practicing, and I'm done. College sucks up lots of my time, so I can't devote an hour and a half like I want to. Extra time goes to improv practice over random songs, or trying to learn a tab (I say try because my attention span and memory hold out long enough for me to play through the song, then get completely bored and start doing something else, and totally forget everything).
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
i listen to music, find a song i like, look up the tab, and play it for like an hour. sometimes while learning the tab I may mess up and create another song by pure accident. so yea i think that's what you were asking for anyway :/
I practice songs I want to learn for a bit, improvise for a bit, study theory if there is anything have recently become aware of that I haven't learnt.
Quote by AngusX
Once every month or two I take a few minutes to look at where my playing is at, where I want it to be, and what I need to do to get me there. Then I spend a few minutes figuring out some good exercises. Then I run through those exercises, along with a quick run-through of common scales, and a run up and down the neck with barre chords to keep that all pulled together. Basically, I do 30 minutes of practicing, and I'm done. College sucks up lots of my time, so I can't devote an hour and a half like I want to. Extra time goes to improv practice over random songs, or trying to learn a tab (I say try because my attention span and memory hold out long enough for me to play through the song, then get completely bored and start doing something else, and totally forget everything).

THIS is what im looking for
i would recomend you to start developin your ear more, like seriously, less paper, less reading, less printing tabs, makes you a better player, eventually will be able to figure out songs the 2nd time you hear them , etc