Around $200. I'd do mostly blues, garage/punk, and plain ol' hard rock. I was thinking of getting a blackheart little giant combo but the cheapest I could find them for was $250. I may end up getting them anyway but wanted some outside opinion.

EDIT: I guess I could just get the head for $150 but I don't think there are any good cabs out there for $50, are there? Including ebay.
Last edited by Definite at Feb 28, 2008,
buy the head and a speaker (no cab) - it'll work... A bud of mine plays his VJ through a car speaker. I took 2 old combo amps (a 12" and a 10") - gutted them (left the speaker in em) and use them for my cabs.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Although I have never tried it, I've heard a lot of people say that the Behringer GM108 is an awesome practice amp. Too bad it's discontinued...

Yes, I said Behringer
Most of the 5watt tube combos will work out. If you are interested in ss amps try out the Peavey Transtube Series.
id say the best bet is the grab the little giant head (or vj head) like you were thinking, then go to a pawn shop. find the cheapest amp you can that has a decent sized speaker (no 8" crapola). then you need a speakercable, wirecutters, and a mono jack. disconnect the speaker from the amp, wire it to the jack. then run the cable from the jack to the speaker. thats what i did with my old amp. sure its not as good as a nice cab or anything, but it makes noise.