40 51%
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
6 8%
EpiphoneLes Paul G400
18 23%
Other
15 19%
Voters: 79.
I'm getting my tax return soon and i'm gonna shell out some money on a nice guitar. what I have right now is an epiphone les paul special 2. I would like to buy another epiphone. SOme of the ones i'm considering are the les paul ultra 2, the standard plus-top and possibly an sg (although I don't like the look as much). I'm looking to pay around $500 (give or take about $100).

I play mostly rock, some punk, and other stuff too. i play through a Vox AD30vt with a boss DS-1 pedal. Make some recommandations and state what why you think so. I'm looking for specific info on tone, pickup quality, anything i should look out for.

Thanks all who reply.

Edit: I am also considering buying used.

Another edit: Meant to wright Epiphone SG G400 for third poll option.
Last edited by craigcochrane at Feb 28, 2008,
G400 or Standard-Plus.

I have an older LP Standard and I love it. Of course, I've swapped pickups and stuff, but I still love the feel of the neck and the body weight is just perfect. Sustains for days.

The Ultra-II seems gimmicky, with the NanoMAG pickup... I would stay away from it unless you specifically want that feature. For the money, I'd sooner get a Custom.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
+1 to the Les Paul custom. If you're happy with LPs you'll probably appreciate the upgrade in quality that a custom will give you without changing too dramatically to the SG.

Having tried a friend's Epiphone LP Standard I started looking at Epis myself, and I tried the G-400 CUSTOM and still thought the LP Standard was superior. But it's all personal taste.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
I'd go with the Standard plus top. It's a great guitar. I'd only buy the Les Paul Custom if I really needed a Wine Red finish and block inlays!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've got an LP standard plus. It serves me well but now that I've been using a strat, it feels "clunky" and a pain to keep on my shoulder. but it's a good investment, i suppose.
i'd say save up probably another 50-100 dollars and get the custom.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
If you are lucky you will find an Epi LP Standard with Gibson made pickups. They aren't the same gibson uses in their own guitars, but still way better than the epiphone ones. These guitars cost up to 600, but are really worth the extra expense. The Epi pu's have to be the worst sounding pu's I have ever heard in my life, even 200dollar Ibanez or Yamaha guitars sound better. You'll want to replace them if you buy an epiphone.
Problem is that the 600buck epis have been discontinued and are hard to find nowadays.

From the ones you listed I'd go with the Standard Plus (just don't forget to swap the pickups).
Quote by TheQuailman
If you are lucky you will find an Epi LP Standard with Gibson made pickups. They aren't the same gibson uses in their own guitars, but still way better than the epiphone ones. These guitars cost up to 600, but are really worth the extra expense. The Epi pu's have to be the worst sounding pu's I have ever heard in my life, even 200dollar Ibanez or Yamaha guitars sound better. You'll want to replace them if you buy an epiphone.
Problem is that the 600buck epis have been discontinued and are hard to find nowadays.

From the ones you listed I'd go with the Standard Plus (just don't forget to swap the pickups).

Epiphone standards with Gibson made pickups? The only Epiphones I know of with Made in USA pickups are the Elitist series guitars and they go for more than 600 bucks.

Unless you're talking about the new Prophesy guitars, they aren't discontinued though so it's probably not what you're talking about.

Oh and ^ use the EDIT button. Don't double post!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Epiphone standards with Gibson made pickups? The only Epiphones I know of with Made in USA pickups are the Elitist series guitars and they go for more than 600 bucks.

Unless you're talking about the new Prophesy guitars, they aren't discontinued though so it's probably not what you're talking about.

Oh and ^ use the EDIT button. Don't double post!

Nope, I don't mean elitists or prophesy guitars. The ones I mean were labled as Standards. The only visual difference to standards with epi pu's was a foil stating: "Gibson pickups" on the pu's. The sound difference was DRAMATIC. I can assure you they exist, as I own one myself.

Oh, and they had different tuning pegs. They were green like gibson ones, but were made by epiphone. They seem a little more sturdy than the usual epiphone tuning pegs to me.

And sorry about the double post.
Why not try a Hagstrom Swede? It's the same price range and people have been saying their quality surpasses Epiphone.
theres no such thing as an EpiphoneLes Paul G400
the g400 is an sg model, not a les paul
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Is there a reason that you are only looking at Epiphones? There are a lot of better guitars in the price range (or cheaper).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Is there a reason that you are only looking at Epiphones? There are a lot of better guitars in the price range (or cheaper).

I have to somewhat agree. Epiphones aren't bad, but some of the Ibanez and especially Yamaha guitars at around 400$ are pretty decent. I like the Yamaha strat style guitars quite a lot. I'll edit this post in a second and hook you up with a link, ts.

EDIT: here they go. The 412V should cost 350-400, the 612V up tp 500. But that are the prices in germany, so that may vary. Note that the 612V has a Seymour Duncan JB as bridge pickup = supereior tone. I consider this the best you can get in that price range.

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%25253D60156%252526CTID%25253D600003%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%25253D60157%252526CTID%25253D600003%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 28, 2008,
Any of these Michael Kelly Patriots are a better choice than an Epi LP, in my opinion.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
go for the studio
my mate just got one and its great there also vry light comparedto oyher ones
This is advice that I give too often, but it is DAMN good advice nonetheless.

GET AN AGILE!

If you're looking an LP, they have some damn good copies. their 400ish USD models beat the Epi LP Customs. If you're going to spend 500 USD, +/- 100 bucks, you could get an Agile AL3000 or higher and upgrade the pups for the same price. You'll have a nicer instrument, and high quality pickups for the same price of a not as nice instrument and worse pups.

I think the only other things to upgrade on the Agile would be the bridge and nut, but the stock ones are pretty damn fine as it is. I hardly go out of tune. Every 2-3 songs with heavy bends I might have to give my G a LITTLE tiny twist up, but that's about it. It's such a small detune that you could make up for it just by fretting a little bit harder if you have to.

Seriously, go Agile. There's no competition between Agile and Epi. Maybe an elitist would be about as good as the 3000ish models, but you're paying much more than you could. :P
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

I'm starting to see alot of people using this guitar now that I'm researching them. It's got a tone switch or coil-split(super swede) depending on model.The pups are custom Alnico V's. You can hear it on the Hag web site and read more about them. I would at least compare the 2 but I see alot of people with Epi's also so they must not be that bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Hagstrom-Swede-Electric-Guitar-Gold-Top-w-Hard-Case_W0QQitemZ230225917784QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hagstrom-Super-Swede-Guitar-New-w-Hard-Shell-Case_W0QQitemZ270215038317QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
If you have no problems with a "B" stock you can save $150+ on that price but don't get the hard case either.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Quote by FacingUsAll

I am familiar with this brand, I like what they have to offer. I am particularly fond of their Les pauls and i prefer the look of their LP's over other companies. this may be superficial but I want a nice looking guitar.
Quote by craigcochrane
I am familiar with this brand, I like what they have to offer. I am particularly fond of their Les pauls and i prefer the look of their LP's over other companies. this may be superficial but I want a nice looking guitar.

If you're willing to pay more money for a lower quality instrument just because of the body-shape, then more power to you.

Quote by utsapp89
more money than what? lower quality than what?

just out of interest....
it's a fine line between clever and
stupid
Quote by sg-rocker173
This is advice that I give too often, but it is DAMN good advice nonetheless.

GET AN AGILE!

If you're looking an LP, they have some damn good copies. their 400ish USD models beat the Epi LP Customs. If you're going to spend 500 USD, +/- 100 bucks, you could get an Agile AL3000 or higher and upgrade the pups for the same price. You'll have a nicer instrument, and high quality pickups for the same price of a not as nice instrument and worse pups.

I think the only other things to upgrade on the Agile would be the bridge and nut, but the stock ones are pretty damn fine as it is. I hardly go out of tune. Every 2-3 songs with heavy bends I might have to give my G a LITTLE tiny twist up, but that's about it. It's such a small detune that you could make up for it just by fretting a little bit harder if you have to.

Seriously, go Agile. There's no competition between Agile and Epi. Maybe an elitist would be about as good as the 3000ish models, but you're paying much more than you could. :P

Have to disagree really. I've had an Agile 3100 and an Epi custom and i prefer the custom

Problem with this forum is everyone is biased and will recommend what they themselves own. So best thing is to just try them yourself
Quote by FacingUsAll
If you're willing to pay more money for a lower quality instrument just because of the body-shape, then more power to you.

An that's a load of rubbish too. The epiphones i've had have been high quality and korean made, worth every penny. Honestly, I get the feeling half the people here spout nonsense without even picking up the instrument they are talking about
I WAS saving for the Standard top plus but I ran into a beautiful Ibby and... C'mon, who hasn't done that? (see profile for pic) So I voted for my original intent, the Standard top plus. Beautiful guitar.
Standard Plus/Plain Top, Custom, or G400 are the minimum you should ever buy. I'm assuming the Special-II was just a comedy option, right? Right?
I got it for a good deal from a friend. Nobody wants to spend a lot on guitars as a beginner. I never realized how much money I would end up spedning haha. But guitar is great, so I don't mind. update; I might be able to get a used plus top for about $300.
Quote by _BucketHead_
An that's a load of rubbish too. The epiphones i've had have been high quality and korean made, worth every penny. Honestly, I get the feeling half the people here spout nonsense without even picking up the instrument they are talking about

Epiphone doesn't have to make a quality product.

Its association with Gibson is the biggest reason that people buy them.

Other companies have to sell a higher quality product at a lower price in order to snag some of the market share.

I've played oodles and oodles of Epiphone LPs and SGs (and even own a G400) and I'd never recommend them to anybody (unless they are MIJ ).

They aren't bad guitars by any means; there are just better for cheaper.
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Feb 28, 2008,
Standard plus top.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
epiphone les paul standard.

its a solid workhorse of a guitar. stays in tune and plays well after a good setup. i love mine to bits.
Thank you please.
I don't know wh everyone seems have a hard on for Epi's... they aren't t h a t good. Yes they are a decent guitar... but it seems like people are putting these guitars on a pedestal. ( been wanting to get that out for awhile.....)

Ok, saying that they are so many other companies that put out a better product for the same money. For example ESP makes great guitars in that price range, as does Ibanez.

I've owned Epi's so I'm not just talking out my ass
epi's have very decent construction, in terms of the woodwork and paintjobs.

electronics and pickups are a different matter. the switches tend to die and the pickups sound incredibly muddy. swap all that garbage out and you've got a winner.
Quote by haz_uk
epi's have very decent construction, in terms of the woodwork and paintjobs.

electronics and pickups are a different matter. the switches tend to die and the pickups sound incredibly muddy. swap all that garbage out and you've got a winner.

I think that the neck pup sounds ok, but the bridge pup is VASTLY underpowered. The neck pup on mine gives twice the volume that the bridge HB does.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.