So, ive been thinking about buying the 8-gauges for my Epiphone Explorer. I play mostly heavy metal and hard rock, along with some country, jazz and blues. I was wondering if the tone was versatile enough for all of those stlyes. Please give opinions.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Why the hell would you want 8 gauges? If you play Heavy Metal and Rock, why not go with 10s or higher?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I use DR 9's on my Dean, they do great, they're not too loose, but loose enought to bend like 2 whole steps

10's arent bad either, i use those on my Ibanez and they're pretty nice too.
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
i play post-grunge-death metal, and i use 10-46, and they do great, especially on the drop tunings, they do drop c good, and drop b also.
I want 8 gauges so i can bend higher and get much wider vibrato. As i stated earlier, i also play blues, jazz, and country. I have 10s on it, and they do fine, but i do not have a tremolo, and my friend has these strings on his guitar, and he can sometimes make it seem like there is one on his guitar by the high bends and wide vibratos. (Not dive-bombs of course)
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
If you want to play jazz as you said 8s are just about the last thing you want
Quote by Colton165
I want 8 gauges so i can bend higher and get much wider vibrato.

I'd say that's a pretty good reason to get heavier strings. I stopped using .009s since they were too easy to bend, and thus went brutally out of tune and/or snapped.

^Cool tele. Pics?
Quote by jAzZMataZz
don't be a pussy. i play 13 and i can bend as high as i want.........

That's because you're a real man, with a huge e-penis

+1 on Tele pics
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
8's are a jazz guitarist's nightmare, dude.

I say settle on 9's or 10's if you are going to be playing a mix of metal and other styles. If you want to improve your vibrato and bending skills, then improve them!