Picked up a Epiphone SG 310 Hi-performance pack (I know its not Hi-performance but thats what it was called) at GC yesterday. Paid 235 for the pack. Guitar, amp, bag, stand, cord ect... Was marked clearance but after looking for weeks I think every guitar I look at in store or online anywhere says clearance:P I was on a budget and this guitar felt good so I went ahead with the buy. Im a beginner. Any suggestions? I read alot of posts saying to change the strings right off the bat and sometimes the Pickup. This pretty important? Again Im totally new at this so any suggestions on mods from ya'll are appreciated. Im doin the lessons on this site and others and reading up on how to read music and such currently. THX
at a beginners stage strings and pups aren't that important. once you learn how to play and start getting interested in what kind of sound you have when you play, then it will be time for a pup change. or maybe a better guitar once you can play well
I noticed the resell value on guitars is really good. Even on cheapies like mine so Im planning on learning and when I get better I can justify spending more. Im one of those people that go gung ho on something for a few months then drop it for something else but this I feel is different. I really "feel this" if that makes sense. I get this feeling of Euphoria even tho its just the beginning so I cant imagine how it will feel whe nI can actually play something besides the beginning of Iron Man and Godzilla!
For beginner I do not recommend heavy string gauss. Around .09~.10 should be alright. I think most SG Epiphone ships of with those strings anyway.
About pickup and such. I don't think you will be able to enjoy the differences now that your ears have not developed to the sound, yet. Play it after a while and try to realize what's good and what not. Then you can have an upgrade. For now, it's pointless.
yeah, so play guitar, and when it feels uncomfortable with the sound, change the pu's. but change the factory strings, in most cases, especially beginner guitars, they suck.
Yeah just focus on playing for now. Modding an Epiphone is like modding an El Camino. It's not worth it. When you get better, get a better guitar. Use the Epi to learn, that's what they're meant for.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Strings can be important, but if it plays ok nothing else. Don't waste your first month looking for "the tone" like I did. Once you find it you figure out in a hurry you can't play a lick so what good is it? I set my amp to clean and didn't touch it for almost a year, but now I can play and it was worth it to be patient.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Yeah just focus on playing for now. Modding an Epiphone is like modding an El Camino. It's not worth it. When you get better, get a better guitar. Use the Epi to learn, that's what they're meant for.

Modding the higher end Epis is worthwhile. I don't forsee ever replacing my G-400 since I put EMGs in it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Yeah Mod higher epiphone is pure pleasure
EMGs on the Elitist ohhhh man!
What I suggest to you is buy an extra pack of strings. Wait until you need to change them to use them. Learn almost every note on the fret board. This isn't as hard as you think it is. And learn all the major chords. Then try to play some songs.