i've recently started a new band, so far we've been doing various covers and haven't got around to writing our own stuff yet
i was just wondering how legal (in the UK) it is to use cover songs, like if we record them could we be sued for selling our recordings of them or putting them on myspace and the like, and would we have to pay to use them in a show?
yeah if you sell them you can get busted for sure.......will they actually bust you, probably not....unless you have high quality recordings and it sounds really good and you sell a lot.........if you're just recording live stuff i doubt you'd have any issues........myspace streaming wont be a problem, everyone does that.
I don't think you have to pay for the rights of the song as long as you acknowledge you didn't write it, isnt that correct?

I mean i dunno in the UK, although I've never recorded a cover song so I don't know how that works
If it's copyrighted, you're not allowed to re-create and sell it, it's making a profit off of someone elses work and ideas. The covers my band did we each put them on cd for ourselves, didn't make anymore, which you can't really get in trouble for. For myspace everyone puts covers on there, and I very much doubt the band, myspace, or the record company really cares.
Okay, realistically, if you're a cover band from butt-f*ck Idaho as they say and are working on a small scale, people probably won't care or make a big deal out of it. Realistically, if you found a quarter on somebody's driveway and took it, they probably wouldn't care.

BUT!!

They could!

Technically, it is someone else's material. You need to pay to use it. The creator is entitled to compensation. It doesn't matter if you are making money from it or not. When you pay a licencing fee, you do so for every copy MADE, not every copy sold. Making it available on line would surely have its own complications that would fall outside of standard licencing fees. You *could* be fined tens of thousands of dollars or more. If you took that quarter off of somebody's driveway, as above, you could not only be charged with trespassing, you could also be charged with theft.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by DanielQ
You're okay as long as you don't make a profit off it. If you profit, you need to pay royalties.

What is your source of information? In any country I know of, this is not the case. As I say, your licencing fee is paid for every copy MADE. It doesn't matter if you sell one copy or a million copies or no copies.

http://www.harryfox.com/public/mechanicalLicense.jsp

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.