i was thinking about gettin a krank head for my half stack but im not sure i wanna dish out $1500....is it rele worth?or do u have a better suggestion?
Last edited by Shaggy7935 at Feb 28, 2008,
I like Kranks, but it's something you should really try out before you dish out $1600.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

yeah, I like them too, but like mentioned already, it's definitely an amp that you have to play first. Some people really like them, others really dislike them, it's pretty polarized. They aren't the easiest amps to dial in either, it took me a good week to tweak it how I liked. It looks stupid simple, but how the sweep and presence interact with the rest of the EQ can make or break your tone. Also, the global master should always be above the ch volumes, it's even bold printed in the manual. That struck me as odd, since I usually keep the master the lowest on other amps I've owned. These heads definitely sound better with the master higher however. Friends who's opinions I trust have played them in shops, and came out hating them. The same guys hear them live or on recordings and say it sounded better than they remember, and I think it's the deceiving EQ.

Also, you can get a great deal going used with Kranks. The Rev and Stein heads can be had easily for under 1k USD. The Rev is the head most guys prefer over the Stein, however I really like my Stein+. The newer versions are the "+" series, so you will pay a little more for those used still. Upgraded power and output transformers, a change to 6550 tubes, and the Rev additionally got an active FX loop and a boost switch on the clean channel. They are starting to pop up on the used market occasionally, although you'll still pay more.

Additionally, they have some great customer service, even when you buy used. I've dealt with them, and they are fantastic. I've also taken the chassis out to bias, and had a look at the parts. They use quality components, very similiar to looking to the Mesa amps I have owned TBH. They are proven road worthy amps, and they have a lifetime warranty if you do buy new. All said and done though, it's only worth it if you like the tone out of them, you would have to play one.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 28, 2008,
Quote by Erock503

Also, you can get a great deal going used with Kranks. The Rev and Stein heads can be had easily for under 1k USD. The Rev is the head most guys prefer over the Stein, however I really like my Stein+. The newer versions are the "+" series, so you will pay a little more for those used still. Upgraded power and output transformers, a change to 6550 tubes, and the Rev additionally got an active FX loop and a boost switch on the clean channel. They are starting to pop up on the used market occasionally, although you'll still pay more.

Im thinking about getting one from the states if thats the case. seeing as the euro is worth $1.50. It would work out to be a great deal!
Quote by False_God
Im thinking about getting one from the states if thats the case. seeing as the euro is worth $1.50. It would work out to be a great deal!

shouldn't be hard, as long as you can find someone that will ship overseas. Just look at the completed US listings on fleabay, some of them go dirt cheap. Customs would probably hit you hard though, unless it was declared as a gift.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
they're not really worth it, from what i've experienced. if you're looking to drop that kind of cash on a half stack and you play heavy music, you should maybe look around for a used mesa rectoverb or tremoverb series I and matching cab.
^With Krank you either like its sound or not.

And they are worth it imo. Your talking the most of $1600 for a Krank head. Which isnt that bad. And As Erock said. They are going for $1000 and under.

Quote by Erock503
shouldn't be hard, as long as you can find someone that will ship overseas. Just look at the completed US listings on fleabay, some of them go dirt cheap. Customs would probably hit you hard though, unless it was declared as a gift.

Yeah Customs will be a ****. Hmm, the size and weight might be a little decieving for a gift! haha!

Yeah Im looking now
Quote by False_God
Yeah Customs will be a ****. Hmm, the size and weight might be a little decieving for a gift! haha!

Yeah Im looking now

even with the customs and stuff, I bet you could find a deal. I saw a demo model Rev+ go for $1200 a couple weeks ago.

I think they are worth it too, if you like their sound of course. Simply on parts, they use some good stuff, and they are proven to be reliable. I think they are just as worth it as any other amp you like the sound of. For instance, I've seen the gut shots of the Bogners, and there were a lot of the same quality parts, such as resistors, caps, PCB, jacks, etc... , as the Krank I opened. A lot were even the same brands.
amp clips
amp vids
^
Really. Pretty interesting that is.

Just deciding what krank now

Was also looking at this Carvin (seeing as I always wanted a 7-string)

Sold for 560euro Missed it. lol!
I know a couple people/bands that get a good tone out of them. I would certainly try them out first.

Jesus, I sound like such a parrot.

As for the Mesa's, I have never been a fan of the tremoverb or rectoverb's, but what do I know...?