i want to switch to a higher guage string because i beat the hell out of my tens but i also play in a band that tunes standard but i like to tune flat... because i like dudes like SRV and hendrix my question is will tuneing standard will elevens or a higher guage kill my guitar and the sound?
with a good set up you should have no issues, and if i am not mistaken, could be way wrong here, but i thought SRV played with 12's or 13's?
Higher gauge usually means more tone (not better, just more if that makes sense), so no. Your fingers will take a beating though...
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Hendrix used really low gauges (I think he had .8s), and SRV had really heavy gauges.

It doesn't really matter, but I'd use heavier strings if I were you.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by themntl1
with a good set up you should have no issues, and if i am not mistaken, could be way wrong here, but i thought SRV played with 12's or 13's?

you are right but i cant find and he want from 13 to 12 to 11 just before he passed because his fingers were gettin the **** beated out of em...
Personally, I think that heavier guages sound much better. I use 10s for E-standard, then 10-52 for everything else.

Edit: Just bear in mind that your string tension is going to go through the roof on the treble strings with higher than a 11 in E, 12 for Eb, or 13 for D.