so i need a new bass. i love to play slap and funk, obvious choice? stinger!!!

BUT

im also in a blues band i need something for both genres, or will a stingray (or similar) do both? i could allways cop out and get a p bass special of course, i find the 2 pups give a great slap tone......but a stinger!!! i love them too! will they do blues?

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
umm, try maybe a Dean edge 4-string, they're pretty nice
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Unfamiliar brand + cheap price = warning sign. I'd try it if I could, first. And yeah, they're right, Stinger HS should sound nice. Jazz basses do nice in blues, and can get a pretty nice slap sound.
jazz bass is what you need, the original slap tone and a wicked blues tone aswell
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
jazz bass is what you need, the original slap tone and a wicked blues tone aswell

yep, this guy's hit the nail on the head
perfect choice for both styles of play

oh and by the way, I've tried a Cort, and they're quite good, but thats for the price... I'm not sure if I'd get one because they're very beginner basses
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Pink Muse
Unfamiliar brand + cheap price = warning sign. I'd try it if I could, first. And yeah, they're right, Stinger HS should sound nice. Jazz basses do nice in blues, and can get a pretty nice slap sound.

cort? theyre huge, no?

jazz is the obvious choice, but i hate the necks, i NEED a P bass neck
yea, my first bass was a P, jazzes are just too skinny at the nut for me, i cant navigate properly, specially with my lanky hands
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
yea, my first bass was a P, jazzes are just too skinny at the nut for me, i cant navigate properly, specially with my lanky hands

I'm the same way you are. My next bass, in fact, could be the reissue P-bass (I forget what year, exactly) that has the 1.75" nut width. It feels more comfortable to me than to play on a pencil neck, like a Jazz. I have to agree though, Jazzes sound amazing in a lot of situations. For you, I suggest the stingray HS. The single in the neck should do you well for blues, while you can switch back to the bridge pickup and get that familiar Stingray slap tone that so many of us know and love.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
I'm the same way you are. My next bass, in fact, could be the reissue P-bass (I forget what year, exactly) that has the 1.75" nut width. It feels more comfortable to me than to play on a pencil neck, like a Jazz. I have to agree though, Jazzes sound amazing in a lot of situations. For you, I suggest the stingray HS. The single in the neck should do you well for blues, while you can switch back to the bridge pickup and get that familiar Stingray slap tone that so many of us know and love.

excellent, BUT, i have nothing close to MM money... halp?
Sorry, I assumed you did due to you mentioning them as an "option" in your first post. What's your budget?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Your initial post basically says "can a StingRay do blues" then you turn around and have a £150ish budget? You seem to be trying to make it difficult for us to help.
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! PEOPLE ARE RECOMMENDING JAZZ BASSES! THE CORRUPTION OF THE FORUM AS A WHOLE!!

But smb is right - do you want a Stinger, or what? A real Stinger? Or a bass with a humbucker?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i think i didnt emphasise the "or similar" part. thinking OLP, or the likes :P:

sorry for the confusion........and me being a tight arse, but over £1000? not til i win the euromillions unfortunately
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i think i didnt emphasise the "or similar" part. thinking OLP, or the likes :P:

sorry for the confusion........and me being a tight arse, but over £1000? not til i win the euromillions unfortunately

Well, the thing is, the OLP just barely scratchest the Stingray tone. Sure, it has a bit of that ribbit, but it's lacking in the Actives department so it really doesn't matter. It's not as tonally obtrusive as you're thinking a Stinger might be, and besides - you can solo and blend the coils of the pickup.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i could rewire my self for a coil blend. but apart from, that, looks like imma have to start getting used to jazz necks
Pretty much. Whether it's American or not I can't tell by looking at it, but it probably is.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
D=

thats a pretty awesome sound right there...

might make do with a pickup swap for my p-bass special copy, cuz its really good quality
hmmm... but then i either have to spend way more than i have to, or lose my backup
Whats ur backup?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
the one i've got now. so i either use that neck, or buy a new one, which is gonna be helluve expensive
Quote by thefitz
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! PEOPLE ARE RECOMMENDING JAZZ BASSES! THE CORRUPTION OF THE FORUM AS A WHOLE!!

I'm confused... you have a Jazz Bass...
ok yeah he wants a stinger but he said what would be good for both slap and blues, and a jazz would be

I hate the P bass necks personally, but i learnt (I'm british) on a Yamaha and they have skinny necks
gah, I just prefer it like that, much quicker for me to move around on

plus I don't get the whole split coil thing, 2 single coils look better IMO
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the one i've got now. so i either use that neck, or buy a new one, which is gonna be helluve expensive

Which kind of bass.You know, the type and brand.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat