Right, so I've found myself to be never interested in slap bass. It's not that I couldn't do it if I wanted to, it's the fact that nothing i've heard of interests me. I can't play Primus for a start (even if I could, there is no imitating claypool - seriously) and I don't particularly want to play RHCP. I've listened to Stu Hamm and the likes, but again, too hard.

I'd just like some simple to intermediate slap tunes which sound nice which aren't the usual crap everyone spits out or at least a way to advance my slap skills to the point where I can play something that might interest me, except proves too difficult currently (i.e. Stu Hamm)
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by smb
I don't understand. You don't like slap but want slap tunes to learn?

I want interesting slap to learn, stuff which actually sounds good. I mean, Flea is good and what not, but I just can't be arsed with his general take on the whole thing. Surely there is some nice slap out there for me?
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Well...you could check out Larry Graham's take on slap in Graham Central Station. Or if you are in more of a say, punk mood, there's always Mike Watt's take in songs like "Down with the Bass" (fIREHOSE)
Downloaded a pile of Graham Central Station, and that firehouse song. I shall now listen!
try victor wooten to see how good slap can be and then watch his face and see how fun it can be =]
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Jonn0
try victor wooten to see how good slap can be and then watch his face and see how fun it can be =]

Victor's slapping isn't fun. It's mindless and almost robitic in a sense (IMO of course).

Check out old school Incubus tunes. Dirk Lance lays down some nice slap lines.
Quote by Jonn0

He's good and all, but that smug look he has on his face all the time like he's thinking "I'm class!"
I feel like we just list the same people over and over again.

You want interesting? Les Claypool. Eat some acid and have a go.
Quote by Metalcredge
He's good and all, but that smug look he has on his face all the time like he's thinking "I'm class!"

Wonder why!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Well I feel obligated to stick up for Flea a little bit - if you've never heard True Men Don't Kill Coyotes, you should give it a go. Fun stuff and easy as hell.

Also, one of our fellow UGers - I forget which one, alas - posted this video, and I think it captures Flea's true slap nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDTUr-fHwHI

I CAN understand criticism for Flea's slap - he kind of has a set scale pattern, and uses a lot of the same pop-to-slap rhythms... but I find it all the more endearing. So, basically, I don't know if I'm helping at all.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
You're listening to the wrong type of music for slap I believe. You're listening to a bunch of bass gods, and progressive artists. Listen to the Slapping on "Aeroplane" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Yes I realize Flea is considered a god by many). Listen to some stuff by Chic, or Breakestra.

Slap isn't as much for a lead role, I feel. It's the mainstay of the song, but it doesn't need to be a solo. I love Slap for the groove, for the drive, not for the flashiness. It might just be in the light you're viewing it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Chad's drumming is pure awesome.

Im not a huge fan of Flea tbh.

I'm not a fan of any slap, it doesnt interest me so i don't want to play it so i don't...

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
I'm not a fan of any slap, it doesnt interest me so i don't want to play it so i don't...

Me too. I don't play music I don't want to listen to. Apart from a couple of notes on the first Rage album my life is pretty much slap free.
Quote by aguacateojos
I feel like we just list the same people over and over again.

You want interesting? Les Claypool. Eat some acid and have a go.

Go on and read the original post.
Stanley Clarke and Boosty Collins.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
Quote by rooster456
You're listening to the wrong type of music for slap I believe. You're listening to a bunch of bass gods, and progressive artists. Listen to the Slapping on "Aeroplane" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Yes I realize Flea is considered a god by many). Listen to some stuff by Chic, or Breakestra.

Slap isn't as much for a lead role, I feel. It's the mainstay of the song, but it doesn't need to be a solo. I love Slap for the groove, for the drive, not for the flashiness. It might just be in the light you're viewing it.

I wasn't looking towards my regular choices of artists for slap. I've heard Geddy make a pop here and there (Intro to The Body Electric) but I listen to that and others for sheer "This is awesome" effect.

And yes, I can see where you are coming from regarding how I am viewing it - everybody i've seen just looks flash, but I just want it to be in my armory in case I ever need it. I'll check out Breakestra, and i'm already familiar with Bernard Edwards.
Quote by Metalcredge

hehe, that smug look makes me laugh and giggle
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Metalcredge
Right, so I've found myself to be never interested in slap bass. It's not that I couldn't do it if I wanted to, it's the fact that nothing i've heard of interests me. I can't play Primus for a start (even if I could, there is no imitating claypool - seriously) and I don't particularly want to play RHCP. I've listened to Stu Hamm and the likes, but again, too hard.

I'd just like some simple to intermediate slap tunes which sound nice which aren't the usual crap everyone spits out or at least a way to advance my slap skills to the point where I can play something that might interest me, except proves too difficult currently (i.e. Stu Hamm)

In all honesty, some Primus isn't that hard, and if you like it, you've got more chance of putting the effort in to learn it

for instance, I once never thought I'd be able to play To defy the laws of tradition, with all the slap and strum, so I sat and learnt easier Primus for months, to get a feel for the techniques needed, and then gave it a go,and it came much easier

so, if you're a Primus fan, try easier tracks, the ones I did were Srgnt Baker (it's not very fast really), Lacquer Head (once you've got the left hand tap down, it becomes very easy, but seems to impress people ) Too many puppies (The easiest Primus tune ever) Ballad of Bodascious (if you can play mutes) The Return of Sathington Willoughby (simple and really cool sounding) and maybe Blue Collar Tweekers (though the solo is tricky, and their isnt much slapping in it really)

There's a big difference between those tunes and say, Tommy the Cat, dont jump in at the deep end, but start easy, and maybe set urself a target song like I did?

hope this helps
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Metalcredge
Go on and read the original post.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm just saying, it is an answer. Although there isn't a ton of slap, Groundhog's Day is a great workout that can be done with a little work. Power Mad and Antipop are a little harder, but the challenge is what matters. Claypool's sound is almost unattainable, but why should that be a deterrent? Its the ideas he's throwing in there that will help you look at slap just a little differently and expand the technique.

The Brothers Johnson throw down pretty hard. Pretty damned hard.
Quote by aguacateojos
Yeah, I saw that. I'm just saying, it is an answer. Although there isn't a ton of slap, Groundhog's Day is a great workout that can be done with a little work. Power Mad and Antipop are a little harder, but the challenge is what matters. Claypool's sound is almost unattainable, but why should that be a deterrent? Its the ideas he's throwing in there that will help you look at slap just a little differently and expand the technique.

The Brothers Johnson throw down pretty hard. Pretty damned hard.

pretty much what I was trying to say, but put in a way that's more eloquent

And you used different example,I'd forgotten all about Antipop,and whatever rhymes with eloquent

anyone else get that??

please say yes?
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
one song i know thats (extreamly) easy to slap is take the power back by ratm its really catchy but im not shure if itd be boring for u yet. its really repetitive and ur probably to good to find it that fun anyway
Quote by everything_rock
one song i know thats (extreamly) easy to slap is take the power back by ratm its really catchy but im not shure if itd be boring for u yet. its really repetitive and ur probably to good to find it that fun anyway

I can play a lot of interesting fast stuff and slap, and I still like to play that song. It's fun.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
An album that has some interesting but easy slap/pop is Faith No More - The Real Thing.
Quote by skippy_moogoose
anyone else get that??

They must call you Mr. Knowitall. I would recommend that song also, but its tapping.

Daft Punk lines are pretty neat when slapped.