Right, decided yesterday would be a good day to do the dreaded FR string change. Surprisingly, it went fine.

Little did I know changing the strings wasn't the hard part, tuning is! I know there have been millions of ''how to tune FR'' threads on here, but just hear my situation out, please.

(If it helps, I'm using Dunlops.)

I've been stretching these strings for an hour. They are still going out of tune by around a full step each time I check to see if they are in tune. I'm stretching them at equal points on each string (17th, 12th, and 5th frets), I've stretched each string COUNTLESS times, and not one of them is staying in tune. And this is BEFORE I've tightnened the nut and even TRIED to use the whammy bar.

Worst of all, whenever I try to stretch the bottom E string the string flies out of the holder in the bridge.At first I just thought it was the way I cut the string, and replaced it. Same thing is happening with the other string. Something wrong with the bottom string holder? :s None of the other strings are doing this.

I'm getting really pissed off here, I NEED help! I really don't want to bring my guitar into a shop and get ripped off (again.. ) for a repair/demonstration or whatever so I'm in dire need of help. Any ideas on both problems. Thanks,
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
DON'T SMASH IT!!!!!!!!!!! Give it to me!

Just keep at it. It's tedious but hey what can you do? As for the string popping out. Are you tightening it enough?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I had the sting popping out problem with mine before too mainly b/c i was worried about stripping it out by over tightening it but now I just crank it pretty tight and have no problems there.
tighten the nut/screw that holds the string in the bridge? tune it as close as you can, then lock the nut, and use the fine tuners.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by linksys24
I had the sting popping out problem with mine before too mainly b/c i was worried about stripping it out by over tightening it but now I just crank it pretty tight and have no problems there.

It's tightened as far as it will go, and it's only happening with that string.
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
Loosen the bolt that holds the lug in the saddle and try to reset the lug in there, sometimes they get crooked in there and don't make a good hold. As for the tuning, when you get the strings to pitch check the trem itself and see if its parallel to the body, if its tilting below the body loosen the trem claw in the back, if its tilting above tighten the claw. Tune back to pitch and check again. Keep doing this until the trem is parallel and at that point the strings should stay in tune.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
well, what you should do is start with the low e, tune it, then the a, etc to the high e. then go back and tune it from the e again, and just keep tuning it with the locking nut up till it settles down. it'll take a few gos.
dude how many wraps do you have on your strings?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
How many springs do you have on the tremelo? Perhaps it's that... The tension was off on mine and I would tune all the strings from top to bottom and by the time I got back to the top, it was out of tune. The bridge would just continue to raise and the strings would not remain in tune.

So, I guess it COULD be that... Originally, I had 3 springs and I went to see my buddy at my local guitar shop and he gave me 2 more. Once I put them on, it was right as rain!

Good luck, brother.
Quote by bi-ah!
dude how many wraps do you have on your strings?

NOt many admittedly. But it's the string holder problem that's the main problem now. I'm realising the tuning just takes patience, but the other problem's driving me insane.
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
Ever thought of taking of the back, and just tightening the spring tension?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by opticon
Loosen the bolt that holds the lug in the saddle and try to reset the lug in there, sometimes they get crooked in there and don't make a good hold. As for the tuning, when you get the strings to pitch check the trem itself and see if its parallel to the body, if its tilting below the body loosen the trem claw in the back, if its tilting above tighten the claw. Tune back to pitch and check again. Keep doing this until the trem is parallel and at that point the strings should stay in tune.

exactly
having just experienced the string changing process, and going from 13s to 9s, i understand your frustration. For the string poppin out, you need to make sure that you are getting enough of the string into the bridge, that way you will have enough for that little block to clamp on to, if you don't put enough there it will always pop out. As for tuning, sorry that's just the way it goes with the floyd, when you get frustrated, take a break, make sure the bridge is level and go at it again. It will take time and certainly frustration. Stop the stretching thing, you are no longer doing anything positive there, stretching is good, but you really only need to do that a max of 3 times per string. so now just concentrate on bridge position and tuning. Have fun and don't destroy your jackson.
Thanks for all the replies, you've been really helpful.

Quote by ItWillDo

I would do that, but I'm afraid I'll **** it up, badly. Tighten them too much or something. I'll head back up in a while and put more of the string into the holder like the last guy said (thanks!) and just keep persevering with the tuning and let you know how it went. Keep any more ideas coming though!
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
Worse comes to worse, just bring it to a guitar shop and watch them do it. Learn from this. We've all been there.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by opticon

Listen to this guy.
Quote by opticon

+3 at this point. And make sure you are getting the e string far enough into the trem before you lock it. And lock it tight.
^^definitely check to see if the lug is seated right....

As you're tightening the strings on a floating bridge, the rest of them will slacken a bit and drop flat of tuning... it's just the nature of the bridge..

BUT, some strings cause more tension on the bridge than others, so I find it easier to tune from Low E to High E a couple times just to get it close, then I tune in this order....

Low E, A, D, Low E, A, D, Low E, A, D, G, Low E, A, D, G, B, E, and then once more through, lock it, then use the fine tuners....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Dont listen to the retards who tell you to smash it.
Changing a floyd rose's strings can be a bit frustrating, especialy when you dont know what youre doing. A few pointers:

- never take all of the strings off at one time. Change one at a time.
- use an object to keep the bridge in the same position. A small piece of flat metal or wood will do.
- stretching the strings is good to keep them from (detuning because theyre not stretched enough) but wont keep it from (detuning because the the floyd isnt balanced yet and other strings arent in tune yet). Notice the ()s.
- keep in mind that every string is pulling all other strings. One string cant stay in tune if all other arent right yet.

How do you get them all in tune then, if every string messes up the tuning of all others?
- only have 1 of the top locks open at a time. Tune the 2 strings under it and lock it.
- then move on to the next 2 strings. Unlock and tune em, then lock again.
- then move on to the last 2 strings and unlock, tune em.
- by now your first 2 strings will probably be detuned. Unlock, tune, lock

ETC.
hope this helps
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
If you don't know what you're doing and you keep trying, eventually you'll screw it up beyond any repair and wind up paying five times as much as the store would have charged.
Go to the store.
Thanks so much everyone, I've been playing for an hour and it's fine!

Only problem is that when I do Dime squeals etc they go out of tune, just more stretching?
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
Maybe. Make sure the nuts are locked tight, and your block holds the string tight. I can Dime squeal all day with my ML which has a LFR, your Jackson should be better. Give it some time and careful breaking in and you should be good to go.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by ninewhilenine
I know there have been millions of ''how to tune FR'' threads on here

Have you read them? Are you tuning correctly?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Thanks guys, you've all been a great help in just encouraging me to persevere and with all your helpful tips. I'd buy you all sweeties if I could :P
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
Quote by ItWillDo

Lol.. ya what this guy said..
this is what you need to do..
Quote by ninewhilenine
Thanks guys, you've all been a great help in just encouraging me to persevere and with all your helpful tips. I'd buy you all sweeties if I could :P

enjoy
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
adusting the tension would help i have the same problem when i re-string my jackson you jsut have to keep tuning untill its close enough to tighten the locking tuners and use the fine adjustments

just get used to it its the price we pay for the FR but well worth it \m/
I still have the original strings on my dinky I bought last summer. LOL So I can't offer any advice on putting on strings. But the trick to tuning I found was to start on low E and tune every string slightly sharp. Then on your 2nd or 3rd past you can fine tune them to perfection.
If you change string gauges then you have to look at the tension on your tremolo.

Assuming that you are using the same gauge strings and your trem was ok before...

Walternativo was exactly right when he said to put something under the bridge.

When the trem is in the correct postition, it is parallel to the body of the guitar. When I changes the strings on my Aria Pro II, I used a fat Sharpie marker to keep the trem from going down to the body. I put the sharpies under the trem before removing the old strings. It fit under there nicely and when the strings came off, there was pressure on it holding it tightly in place.

I put the new strings on, did a rough tuning and voila - there was no longer any pressure on the Sharpie and I was able to pull it out from under the trem easily.

NEVER use winding the strings to pull the trem up off the body of the guitar!

Here's a vid about changing strings with a floating trem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4

Good luck!
Oh yeah - as far as string stretching...

Last time I changed the strings on my Les Paul, I tuned every string about one full note higher than normal. I then let it sit for 24 hours. The next day I tuned it and that was that!