Pickups are an integral part of your tone.They, along with your amp and the tone-woods of your guitar.
There are five main types of pickups-Singlecoils,Humbuckers,P90's,mini-humbuckers and railed/stacked singlecoils

Singlecoils are pickups that will give a very bright sound.they are used on most stratocasters and telecasters.The downside of singlecoils is that you will get a faint (or not so faint,in some instances) humming noise in the background.

To rectify the humming, another coil is added,which is reverse polarity reverse wound, to literally buck the hum.They give a fatter, more meaty sound used on Les Pauls and SG's.

P90's are closer to the singlecoil end of the spectrum, they give what is described in guitarist magazine as a "fat single coil sound", in practice, they give a slightly darker sound of the singlecoil, but still keep the humming.

Mini-humbuckers are what the title describes them as,a mini humbucker, as there are less winds on the pickup themselves, resulting in a darker sound than a P90 but a brighter sound than a normal humbucker.They do still allow for hum free playing though.

A railed/stacked humbucker is a humbucker that can fit into a singlecoil slot on a scratchplate .They, although classed as a humbucker, give a sound closer to a mini-humbucker.They though,as a humbucker, still stop the humming.

There are also piezos,which are used much more in acoustic guitars.they respond to the vibrations on the bridge saddles/wood and transfer it into electrical currents, then the electrical currents are changed back into sound waves by amplifiers.

There are also two divisions within pickups, passive and active.
A passive system requires no battery and are generally referred to as the standard pickups.They are used on most guitars.A passive system however does not allow for the boosting of frequencies,but rather the lowering of certain frequencies through capacitor use.

An active system is a system powered by a battery.It allows for boosting of frequencies etcetera, which is not possible with a passive system,however, with an active system,the tonewood of the guitar creates less of the tone, and although these are regarded as the "holy grail" by many metal and hard rock guitarists,many other guitarists dislike them as they prefer their own shaping of tone though the use of specific woods.

F spacing is used on guitars with a vibrato system, for example a fender or a Floyd Rose, and so if you have guitar with a vibrato system, an f spaced pickup is recommended.

Often techniques like overwinding are used in descriptions of pickups,and quite often, this can just boggle the mind of someone with a low idea of what a pickup does.
Passive pickups are made of two main parts, the magnet and the windings of wire.
the more windings used on a pickup, the 'hotter' the output, ie, the higher the output.For example Stevie Ray Vaughan's number 1s Pickups were supposedly overwound giving a higher output.
Each Pickup on a guitar is different, for example on a stratocaster the neck has a lower output than the middle, while the bridge has a higher output than the middle
due to the lower amount of vibrations the closer you get to the bridge.
On a les paul, the bridge pickup,again, has a higher output than the neck pickup.

The output of a pickup is generally measured by the amount of winds of wire on it.If you are looking into a pickup and are lloking o find out what sort of output would be recommended for your style of playing and tone of playing, i suggest you PM corduroyEW for info

Finally, a list of some pickup manufacturers

Seymour Duncan

EMG

Lindy Fralin

Rock Monkey

Bare Knuckle

Swineshead

Stevens Design

Dimarzio
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Last edited by ManicBluesist at Feb 28, 2008,
I'm going to post just because i think this is a good idea and it looks like you've put a decent amount of effort into this.

im sure UG allready has something like this, but i might be wrong
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i posted it on gb&c but i thought here would be a better place for it
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
I think the phrasing and explanations are a little elementary. It also seems like an ad for Seymour Duncan. An explanation of pickup materials and manufacturing techniques would also be beneficial, as would be an explanation on how people can interpret pickup stats such as impedance and inductance.
Hi, I'm Peter
this is a very solid starting ground for what could be an excellent sticky!!
very good!
eventually you should go into the sound characteristics of several different pickups. tho that will take a lot of time, in the end it'll be worth it!!! not to mention we could refer a lotta "which pups?" questions to this !!

bravo
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
sorry i didnt want to have to go to lots of different sites to get different pup brands, so i went to sd insted....
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Quote by Dirk Gently
I think the phrasing and explanations are a little elementary. It also seems like an ad for Seymour Duncan. An explanation of pickup materials and manufacturing techniques would also be beneficial, as would be an explanation on how people can interpret pickup stats such as impedance and inductance.

also, im not too god at stuff like that, i was wondering if someone could help me a bit on this..
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
For people who know very little about p/ups, I imagine this thread could be quite useful
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I have a query, F Spaced pickups are only wider/narrower by a tiny bit, yes? Because the GFS pickup i'll be getting can't be purchased in F Spacing.

Cheers, Tom
Quote by thellamaking
I have a query, F Spaced pickups are only wider/narrower by a tiny bit, yes? Because the GFS pickup i'll be getting can't be purchased in F Spacing.

Cheers, Tom

oooh, arent you lucky you havent got a trem then

(im assuming this is for the tele)
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by thellamaking

Cheers, Tom

They're not physically larger, it's just that the pole pieces are spaced slightly further apart.
Hi, I'm Peter
Bump
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Thanks man, i didn't know the difference between active and passive pick-ups know i know what they are thanks.
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused