so i've stated before that i'm part of the praise and worship band at my church. i'm lead guitar. my best friend is rhythm, and he's been playing the rhythm for this church for years so i'm not going to tell him anything that sounds like me trying to take control of our sound. we've had a few band directors in the past year or so, and they change b/c of different reasons. first was our pastor who eventually had too much other stuff on his hands and had to appoint a church memeber. one was the band director and part of the choir (tho he was kinda tone deaf, but we needed a male voice in the mix w/ the females to give some good backbone!) and he had been getting ready for a new position as sunday school director. the next one was a missionary from Honduras, strong accent. he was amazing on the keyboard. but he is leaving soon b/c he has new goals back home, tho it is extremely saddening for him to leave and it's still hard to believe it.

there's some background info in case ur interested!

so my best friend has been thru all three of these guys and knows the ropes, i joined officially around less than a year ago. (before i had played once or twice w/ them b/c they requested). he is pretty much a clean player by heart, enjoying much of clapton, Ryan Adams, acoustic contemp. christian, Jeremy Camp, Todd Agnew. he plays an Ibanez Artcore, very beautiful guitar. and his only accentuation to his sound was a clapton pedal, which he used to brighten up his cleans and a lil reverb.
so you can prolly tell by now that he doesn't really rock out. he really doesn't have any interest in learning lead, he focuses primarily on rhythm. the most gain he uses is light, VERY light crunch, but not even for our music, just when he's playing a lil clapton at home.

and then there's me. i get my main influences from Slash, Angus Young, Buckethead, Vai, SRV, Tom Morello, and many more who are of varied styles and tastes. i enjoy a lotta the same music as his, but i make my playing more diverse and don't like it to all sound the same. I play my G-400 with the SDs. used to play thru my Randall but it's too much of a hassle takin it to church all the time, so i just use a bad monkey thru the PA. not as good as on the tube, but still delivers. and also use my vox wah when it fits right.

our conflict? he automatically assumes when i use any overdrive or distortion in a song that it's for a "faster tempo" song. and he'll politely go "turn down the gain some" or "i dont think u should use overdrive on this, it's more mellow sounding ya know?". and so my reaction is in my head (just b/c there's overdrive or dist, doesn't mean it's not mellow....it doesn't even mean it's fast paced...). so i argue a lil bit with him telling him that having TWO guitars in the band playing clean (which his is obviously a nicer clean playing guitar) is kinda pointless. i don't mind doin it on 2 or 3 of the 5 or 6 songs we do, but for the majority i like to sound a lil different. it's what i add to the mix. not to mention the overdriven guitar also helps give backbone to the songs. don't get me wrong, i play any hymn song we do clean, with no leads- cuz hymns are supposed to be traditional! i save my lead work and such for the contemp. stuff. and just to clear it up, when i DO have a solo, i don't try to use buckethead or vai style stuff lol, i use more slash/soulful bending and such rather than trying to do a two handed tapping sequence and freak the old people out.

in the end we always perform well and i'm constantly complimented on the addition to sound i bring and the ability for younger and middle aged members to get more into the music. after all, the moms and dads of the church grew up in the days of the music that i love the most, so i guess it takes them back sometimes to hear a nice solo occasionally.

what is yall's opinion, gain/OD doesn't set what tempo should be played does it? does clean=mellow and OD=faster tempo? what would yall do in the same position?
my friend is not ignorant in guitar, but his playing taste is definitely different than mine.

and i congradulate anyone who actually enjoyed reading ALL of this!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Im in the praise band at my church as well. Pretty much all of our songs have distortion in them. We have an acoustic guitar and me. I play the distortion with power chords. it doesnt really set the tempo at all, just makes songs not so calm and boring. I say go with the OD/Distortion
from my experience the presence of effects in a song have no bearing on its tempo, just write what sounds best
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I read it all
No, OD doesn't make for a faster tempo song, to me there's nothing better than an OD'd solo, that is mellow with lots of soulful bends
Just tell him to stop complaining, and just to grow up.
If all you played were clean solos, how boring would that be?
i figured. austinarcadium, i do a lot of what you do. usually if i've got OD on i'll use bar chords and such.

as for solos, usually it has to be when THEY say they think a solo would sound good. if i hear an instrumental part and start messin round with a solo, my bud jus looks over at me and shakes his head like "no solo on this song."

but when I'M the newer guy and NOT the experienced (as far as the praise and worship band goes) player, i'm not gonna go and say my way is better.

sometimes he and whichever band director we have confuse me. they'll say "we wanna sound LIKE the songs on the albums, but in our OWN style" when they wanna change up somethin like how many choruses and where the next verse will flow into.

but when I wanna add somethin that they're not used to, they say "that's not how we usually do it, if you listen to the song you'll hear how we wanna sound"

granted they are always polite in how they say it, it doesn't mean anything different in the end!

i AM glad that our bassist (who joined lil earlier than me; he LOVES death metal lol) and our drummer (he's been playin in the band prolly as long as my best friend; he listens to a lotta screamo and punk and rock-plays some guitar too and has potential to be pretty decent if he polishes a lotta his sloppy technique lol!). so i've got them two backing me up usually and then the other two trying to negotiate and it always ends up being more on THEIR side than mine.

and the choir stays outta it....they just sing....lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i want my 2 minutes back.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Having one band member take complete creative control over the band is never a good idea.
As a band, you should all come together on something you all agree on, regardless of who is more experienced or has been in the band longer.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
i hear wut ur saying truespin. our church DOES work w/ the voting thing. but i dont think it'd be very productive to bring everyone into a vote every time me and him disagreed. but if it becomes more of an annoyance than i will no doubt go to that.

i think my main backing for my argument will be the reactions of the members. i mean, he can't really argue with me if the people are loving it eh?
he isn't trying to take all control, i think it's that he's AFRAID to do things different assuming we may sound terrible lol.

a lil more background info- before leaving to start working w/ a church in his town, our good friend Chip was the lead guitarist for the band. he's like 31 or 32. been playing since he was 7. before he was saved he was all into hair metal, GNR, AC/DC, LOVED SRV and Skynyrd. and his playing is absolutely beautiful. he's a music major and can lay down some classical and jazz like it aint nothin. he USED to play lead while my friend played rhythm. he used to always inform him on how to make the music sound the best and was pretty much the go-to-guy for when they weren't sure on how it should sound.

so now that he's gone, i think my bud is just not wanting to trying anything TOO different than what he KNOWS will sound good- mainly b/c he doesn't have Chip to 'OK' the sound.

damn i should just write a journal or somethin...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I'm not talking about voting. That'll just cause arguments.
I'm talking about sitting down and talking about it until you find a reasonable solution. There is no "Vote A or B" because someone will always lose. It's work together, compromise.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
gotcha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
My advice?
Get the band together away from the church, and just jam for a bit.
Have the bass player lay down a groove, and get the drummer to dive in with the rhythm.
Then have the rhythm guitar player come in, and then you jump on last.
The lead guitarist never sets the tempo. That is what the rhythm instruments (bass and drums, usually) are for.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
lol truespin, that's what we do before acutal practice and other nights that are available!!

do yall think it's unecessary to have two electric CLEAN guitars goin at once? on hymns i don't argue like i said, those are meant to be traditional. but there's still a couple songs like that where we're both clean...
so far i came up with two solutions, which 1) is to arpeggiate while he strums. 2) if the song is mid-higher tempo, i use my Vox wah to give it funk feel. other ideas?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Use a little drive.
Solid bodies are for overdrive. Plain and simple!
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
point heard and taken.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
but....what if i wanna....

"MAKE IT THUNDER!!!!!!!"

lmao...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I'm not saying buy a Mesa and bring it in.
Just give it enough boost to kinda sharpen it up.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by slash_rocks2005
but....what if i wanna....

"MAKE IT THUNDER!!!!!!!"

lmao...

I say crank it, go off in to a metal solo, blow the grey right out of the old fogies hair and when everybody stares at you, say the Holy Spirit came over you.

Why necro threads?

The Ghost of UG Past IS turning in his grave.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
is there someone playing acoustic? If not, have him play an acoustic and you accent it with some distortion on your electric. I play guitar at youthgroup, and that's what we do. OR! Do volume swells. Really makes it cool.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.