i downloaded this program and im lookin over these chords and i dun understand em like the C7(#5,b9) or even a C+ or Co7....like where do they get the names...i know its prolly the way the notes are placed but how can i differentuate them...like how could i look at a chord and figure out that its a C+ .....also whats with the different positions its the same chord apparently but it sounds alot different...is it like the octave or sumthin...and if ur gonna put it in a chord progression would the different positions still sound good?....
Well I found that quite hard to decipher (someone call the grammer police please...)
But chord names are found relative to what scale the chords are taken from.
For example, and this is the basics, AM dominant ninth would be something like ABC#EG.
For example.
And also, the + sign means that its an augmented chord, in other words, like a major chord but with the fifth sharpened.
o means that the chord is diminished and so on and so forth.......
The C7(#5, b9) chord is an altered chord. It is built from the altered scale, a mode (the fifth i believe) of the melodic minor (an alternative minor scale). If you don't understand this, don't worry, it is very advanced jazz harmony.
The C+ is an augmented chord, it has a 1, 3, #5 or a C, E G#. Again this probably comes from the melodic minor, as does the next chord, a Co7, C Full Diminished 7th. It has a 1, b3, b5, bb7, or C, Eb, Gb, Bbb.
I don't know what your level of theory is, but assume it's not great, as you didn't recognize these symbols, so don't fret, you will learn this stuff in good time im sure, but for now just try to learn the basics, there are some good lessons on UG
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
i know a majority of my chords...like i know all my barres....major minors dominant 7ths minor 7ths...all my open chords...i jus wanted to know what they ment....i know the formulas and everything...kinda answered my question...but what about the positions like fifth position ninth etc....they sound a lil different so would they still be in the same chord progression?
Playing chords at different positions shouldn't have too much of a difference, they might sound meatier or with a high note at the top, all in all though, you could play one over the over and they wouldn't sound too different.
Do you mean like an inversion? A first inversion is when the third is on the base (notated as 6/3 for a triad), and a second inversion (6/4) is when the fifth is on the bass. It is the same chord, just different order. Thats about as a far as i know about that, but all different chord shapes will have different inversions, and the bigger the chord, the more complex they are.

C E G -root position
E G C -first inversion
G C E - second inversion
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by blayzin420
i know a majority of my chords...like i know all my barres....major minors dominant 7ths minor 7ths...all my open chords...i jus wanted to know what they ment....i know the formulas and everything...kinda answered my question...but what about the positions like fifth position ninth etc....they sound a lil different so would they still be in the same chord progression?
What about diminished and major 7ths?
ya i know my major 7ths...sry mustve missed it....my diminished...not so much...like i understand em i jus dont use them alot...
Quote by blayzin420
ya i know my major 7ths...sry mustve missed it....my diminished...not so much...like i understand em i jus dont use them alot...

You don't need to use them, as long as you understand how they're built, what they sound like and where you could use them it's ok.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
lol but still no ones given me an answer....for the different positions of lets say a Gmaj chord....they all sound a lil different but if there all the same chord could i use them in the same progression?
^yes..one thing you do want to take into consideration is what position the previous and following chords are in. it's not very smooth to make huge leaps to different positions for each chord change
ahhh ic so if im in 5th position g i should switch it to a 5th position d sorta thing right?....or closest i can get...makes alot more sense....would it be the same for the scale to imrpov over then...like say if im in the 5th position G then would it sound better if i moved my box up a few and vice versa?
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
Yes basically. Pink Floyd's Run Like Hell is a good example of using the same chords in different positions. It has a D chord at the 10 fret, 5th fret, and Open Position, all connected smoothly by other chords moving inbetween the positions.
gotta love good ole gilmour...thx though helped alot...i think imma have to learn that now to comprehend it though ;-D
my gear lol:
a crappy cheap aria pro II
a patch chord that only werks when i jiggle it
and a pure static amp
Quote by Ichimaru
You can play Classical Gas after a year? I think we have a prodigy on our hands.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
Sweep picking after only 1 year of playing? O_o
^ cool, it will definitely be worth your while, it's relatively easy and sounds great