There's a pinch harmonic in Holy Diver (cover by Killswitch Engage)

The tab on this site reads it as the second fret on the E, which is dropped down to C.

However, I'm playing the song in standard, since the only thing requiring the drop C tuning is the low C, so I just play it up an octave. Anyway, how do I achieve this note in standard tuning? I'm talking about the pinch harmonic. Another tab (GP) doesn't have it as a PH, but rather as a D# on the A string with vibrato. I've tried using PHs on both the D and D# on the A and it doesn't work. The other ones I know how to do, except the one in the solo before the quick run of notes. Any ideas?
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Most of the pitch of the pinch comes from the string weight and the tuning.
You can literally achieve the same pitches on any fret if you strike the string right.
If you aren't high enough, move towards the bridge. If you are too high, move towards the neck.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
maybe im crazy but drop c tuning is CGCFAD, as for the pinch harmonic it should work now that you have tuned your guitar properly.

peace
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
Try PHs in different places around the pickups.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I understand PHs, I've been trying different frets in different spots around the pups. I can't seem to get the right one though. :/
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

I got an idea...play it in the right tuning and you might get the results you want.
The only difference is not just a detuned C, you have to drop the rest of the strings down a full step.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by M Power
I got an idea...play it in the right tuning and you might get the results you want.

I'm not dropping a 42 down 2 full steps and the other matching 9-42 gauges down one.

I got an idea... don't be ignorant and maybe you could help me get the results I want.

Quote by Colgate Total
The only difference is not just a detuned C, you have to drop the rest of the strings down a full step.

I can get the right pitch out of the other pinch harmonics, it just seems that the other ones aren't correct. (The two in the first verse and the one before the solo).

Look, there has to be a spot on the guitar that can ring out a harmonic that will match. I'm simply asking for someone to help me find that in standard tuning. LIKE I SAID, I'm NOT dropping extra light strings down a full and two full steps so I can play one chord in the song that is needed. I can play it an octave up with just the root and fifth and it sounds fine. So please, STOP TELLING ME TO DROP TUNE THIS!
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

just try them around, on several strings I can get things like the 6 and 11 to sound the exact same when pinched.
We're trying to tell you that half of the reason you aren't getting it easily is the fact that you aren't tuned properly.
Relax.
Pick a string that gets you close. From there, find the spot on the string that gets it for you.
But if your other notes all sound... hmm... a whole step high, why wouldnt you want your harmonics to be higher too?
Honestly, harmonics on strings higher than the A in standard tuning are almost too high pitched to be pleasing.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Ok, I'll try this one more time.

I can play the entire song in its original pitch without detuning EXCEPT for ONE C chord, which is an octave lower than I play it, and the harmonic I've been talking about. I don't have a great ear for pitch. I mean, I'm not bad, but I certainly don't understand the division of harmonics and such enough to figure out what fret and area to touch when I'm doing the harmonic.

The reason I believe this pitch is capable of being played in standard is this.

You can pluck an A#, then ring the harmonic an octave high by dividing the string length in half. I figure if you can go an octave higher with harmonics in standard, then it's possible to find the pitch created when you ring a D one full step lower than the low E. Why can't you guys just listen to that.

I'm not looking to drop my strings a bunch and make them floppy just so I can play one song. I specialize in standard tuning, not CGCFAD, ok? If anyone knows how to achieve the harmonic produced by a D2, then please let me know. If anyone wants to tell me to drop tune, then push back on your browser. Maybe it isn't possible, but to my knowledge I would assume that it is.

Your comment about the harmonics done on any string higher than the A is a bit... odd... You can achieve much higher pitched notes on the high e than you can from harmonics on the D or even G... And depending on where you ring the harmonic out, even the b. Possibly the e. O.o
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

How about just drop to D? It's the same difference it just doesn't sound as heavy.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
I think you missed what I was saying... the harmonic notes on the higher strings are just not very pleasing to the ears.

As far as finding that harmonic that you're looking for, try finding the same note it's written as and playing with that.
If you want to play it on pitch so badly, why not just gauge up and tune down...? The tuning is exactly the same, you're right about that, except it's a step lower, which means that you could potentially make some of the notes undoable (like the C-chord, which is the biggest part of the main riff). Playing the whole thing an octave up is just... kinda goofy.
If you are going to play it in standard tuning, why not just play it in as written and be done with it?
You're making it way harder than it has to be.

Edit: Wait. The guy above mentioned you're not in Drop D.
You are at least in drop D right?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
I think you missed what I was saying... the harmonic notes on the higher strings are just not very pleasing to the ears.

Mine are pretty smooth. I guess you need good tone? I don't know, never noticed any displeasing qualities to them. O.o

Quote by truespin
As far as finding that harmonic that you're looking for, try finding the same note it's written as and playing with that.

Already stated earlier that I tried that.

Quote by truespin
If you want to play it on pitch so badly, why not just gauge up and tune down...?

Please read my posts.

Quote by truespin
The tuning is exactly the same, you're right about that, except it's a step lower

How does that make it exactly the same?

Quote by truespin
which means that you could potentially make some of the notes undoable (like the C-chord, which is the biggest part of the main riff). Playing the whole thing an octave up is just... kinda goofy.

It still sounds heavy. I don't need to play everything note for note, just the parts I want to.

Quote by truespin
If you are going to play it in standard tuning, why not just play it in as written and be done with it?

What? I can't play it exactly as written. I don't even understand what you were trying to say there.

Quote by truespin
You're making it way harder than it has to be.

No, YOU are.

I'm asking for a simple fret that will produce the same harmonic that they achieve when they play a D2. Except, I can't just go drop D because I like adding vibrato to my PHs, and you can't really do that on an open string. -_- Just like you can achieve the same harmonics from an open e with a finger over the 7th fret and open b over the 5th, I'd assume it is possible to get a D2 PH pitch in standard tuning. If the high e was as low as the guitar went, you wouldn't have to tune down to a b to ring out the 5th fret harmonic. You can do it in the standard tuning. (Assuming the high e was the lowest in standard tuning).

Quote by truespin
Edit: Wait. The guy above mentioned you're not in Drop D.
You are at least in drop D right?

Holy **** for the last time I'm in standard.

Don't even respond to my thread if you're not going to read my posts man.

So, can anyone think of another way to ring out a D2 PH like the one in Holy Diver in standard tuning?
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Hows about this: cover the original (Dio) and insert pinch harmonics where you like.

Quote by sg-rocker173
So, can anyone think of another way to ring out a D2 PH like the one in Holy Diver in standard tuning?

No, don't try because the tone and pitch of pinch harmonics is affected heavily by the string gauge and tuning, try getting the same note an octave up in just about any place you can.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well,

it looks like the majority of UG thinks you should just play it in Drop C. it also doesnt look like there's anyone who can instantly find out where this harmonic is.

i'd like to suggest you try a bunch of different locations and frets. when i say a bunch, i mean a whole lot. the song WAS intended to be easiest to play in Drop C, and it doesnt seem there's an easy way around that.

maybe just play a regular D? maybe leave the note out completely? if you're just playing this for practice it seem like an awfully big deal to try and play one note. if you're figuring it out to play live, play a different harmonic.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
So wait, we're idiots because you're trying to play a song in a completely different tuning and can't do it, and we're telling you to just play it as written?

How hard is it to fret the 7th fret on the E string, strum it and the A open, and detune the E so they match?
Really?
"I don't wanna retune my guitar during a set."
Get another guitar, or better yet, quit being so hard headed. It takes two seconds.

Honestly, how do you get the low open C chugs for the signature Holy Diver riff and for the main parts of the song? You don't. So it doesn't sound right anyway. You can't possibly be playing this on pitch because it requires that open C that is a full two steps below the E.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
So wait, we're idiots because you're trying to play a song in a completely different tuning and can't do it, and we're telling you to just play it as written?

The ONLY notes I can't hit are C notes one octave lower. It sounds completely fine to me when I play the C an octave up. STILL SOUNDS HEAVY, READ MY LAST POST! READ ALL MY POSTS!

Quote by truespin
How hard is it to fret the 7th fret on the E string, strum it and the A open, and detune the E so they match?

Not hard at all. I don't play anything but in standard tuning. When a song requires drop D for a D chord, I just play it an octave higher. I rarely play any drop tuned songs. I want to play this song in STANDARD TUNING, which is what my guitar is always tuned in.

Quote by truespin
"I don't wanna retune my guitar during a set."
Get another guitar, or better yet, quit being so hard headed. It takes two seconds.

It takes about a minute to tune 6 strings down that many steps. Not to mention another minute going back up. I play a lot of songs, 99% of them in standard tuning. I don't FEEL like tuning my guitar down a full step then down another half step to play ONE song. I don't WANT to get 12-54s so I can play drop C, because I play in STANDARD. I'm LOOKING FOR ONE ****ING NOTE, DO NOT REPLY TO MY THREAD AGAIN! I'm not going to blow 800 bucks on another guitar so I can play a chord and a pinch harmonic properly in one ****ing song. YOU quit being hard headed.

Quote by truespin
Honestly, how do you get the low open C chugs for the signature Holy Diver riff and for the main parts of the song? You don't. So it doesn't sound right anyway. You can't possibly be playing this on pitch because it requires that open C that is a full two steps below the E.

I play the entire song except ONE chord on pitch. I don't need the drop C chug for the way I want to cover this song. Music is an art, and art involves expression. I don't have to buy a new guitar and restring/setup/intonate my current guitar every time I want to play Holy Diver. Instead I'll just alter ONE CHORD a little bit to the SAME chord an octave higher and play it MY way. Not YOUR way. Plenty of people cover songs without hitting everything note for note.

Can you learn to read maybe? That might help you out quite a bit in life.

Because of people like YOU I'm going to have to repost this later, and explain everything in full detail.

Let me break this down for you!

I don't want to drop tune 2 full steps and 5 other full steps on the other strings and re-intonate my guitar to play one chord in the song. I'll alter this to my needs!

I don't want to have to get heavy gauge strings to play one song, because then when I play in standard, I won't like the feel of my strings. This is MY preference, not YOURS. 99% of the songs I play are in standard, this is actually the only one I play that isn't in standard tuning! If a song is a half step down, I compensate by playing the SAME pitches one fret down! It's not a hard concept to understand!

I DON'T want to buy an 800 dollar guitar for ONE song!

I DO want to play this song on pitch, which is done perfectly except for ONE CHORD ONE CHORD ONE CHORD ONE CHORD. Understand? ONE CHORD, ONE OCTAVE HIGHER. (And the PH, the entire purpose of this thread. I wasn't planning on spending 20 minutes educating you about how I play my instrument). My tone is heavy enough to make up for the difference in the octave. It still sounds good!

I WILL be playing the song in standard tuning, and it DOES sound good. It sounds heavy and full, but without that PH I can't nail the song. I am going to do this MY way, not in drop C.

All I want is for someone who fully understands pinch harmonics to help me find this note on the fretboard!
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

And I hope you know the original Holy Diver is done by Dio... They use standard tuning. So, the way I play it is almost like a mix of the two, which in my opinion is much much better.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

You need to calm down.

1 - I'm not sure who knows this and who doesn't: this song is a cover of a song by Dio, the original is played in standard tuning in the Key of C, well a little less heavy-ness and no PHs, you could do what Killswitch did and adapt the song to the way you want to play it which would be much closer to the original than their version. Holy Diver by Dio.

2 - We don't know if that note is possible to get anywhere else because PHs are so bloody temperamental, experiment for god's sake, you would have found out sooner and easier than arguing with all these people.

3 - Calm down and keep the cussing to a minimum, you lose focus and swearing makes you look stupid and inarticulate; the great thing about the internet is you've got time to get angry, calm down again and then think about your reply before you do anything.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
And yes I am aware of the original by Dio, and I also play it somewhere between the two.
I play it as written for the Dio version, except off the E instead of the A, which happens to be a D for me because... I'm tuned down a full step!

If you are so incredibly well educated that you can (gasp) rewrite the whole song, why don't you just play it your own way instead of chasing another band's sound?

And to switch from Standard to Drop D takes about two seconds. Fret one note, strike two strings, twist a tuning key, and bam!

I'm not telling you you shouldn't play the song, I'm just telling you that you're adding excessive difficulty trying to play it the way another band plays it without tuning the way they tune.

I respect that you want to play in standard, because I prefer standard tuning too. But I know that in standard it's harder to play songs written in Drop D (or C) and you know what? I stay away from those songs, especially if they include open low chugs.

If you read back several posts, you'll notice I've offered you a way to find the note you're looking for. Experiment! Play with finding that harmonic by moving your pinch towards the neck or towards the bridge on any given string. There are only x-amount of harmonic nodes, so it would likely have shown you the harmonic (if indeed it could be reached in this tuning) at some point, and possibly faster than trying to prove to the world that you're some kind of guitar virtuoso because you refuse to retune or own a second guitar.

Why do you expect one of us to sit here and fight with the guitar and the harmonic nodes to try to find the note for you when you won't do it yourself?

I play it, like I said, detuned a full step, off the low E instead of the A, (which is then a D!), and palm mute the shortened chords instead of shortening them. It produces a KSE-like chug for the primary riffs, and doesn't lose the Dio flavor. However, I leave the harmonics out primarily because they just don't fit the tune as far as I can see, and even though I am tuned to the same tuning as they are (almost, anyway) I can't hit the same harmonics they do. Mostly because it's not worth it to me to find them.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Here is how you do it

Step 1. Get out of your computer chair.

Step 2. Go to your local guitar store.

Step 3. Buy some 11s or 10s. i rarely play in drop c too, but when i do, 10s arent that bad

Step 4. Restring your guitar.

Step 5. Tune to Drop C.

Step 6. Play the song

Step 7. Stop Complaining.

I hope you have realized that you have expended more effort in making this post and continuing to argue with people than it would take for the "minute" to detune your guitar.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You need to calm down.

1 - I'm not sure who knows this and who doesn't: this song is a cover of a song by Dio, the original is played in standard tuning in the Key of C, well a little less heavy-ness and no PHs, you could do what Killswitch did and adapt the song to the way you want to play it which would be much closer to the original than their version. Holy Diver by Dio.

2 - We don't know if that note is possible to get anywhere else because PHs are so bloody temperamental, experiment for god's sake, you would have found out sooner and easier than arguing with all these people.

3 - Calm down and keep the cussing to a minimum, you lose focus and swearing makes you look stupid and inarticulate; the great thing about the internet is you've got time to get angry, calm down again and then think about your reply before you do anything.

I know about 1. The way I'm playing it is like a mixture. I do the harmonies, the solo, the PHs, and the rest is pretty much the way Dio does it.

2. I'm sure there's someone out there who does. I realize I'd be able to find out if I sat down and experimented... However, I figured it'd be easier to see if anyone knew. And you know, I didn't ask for the ignorance to pour down in this thread...

3. I can reply however I want. Swearing in no way diminishes your intellectual level. It's all perception and stereotype. Words are words. We use them to express ourselves. I put my expression out there, and I don't regret that one bit. Having an arsenal of words at your disposal, and telling someone that by using specific certain pieces of the language makes you look stupid is just silly. How you use the words is different. Swearing can result from many things. Anger, grievance, excitement, or like you said, stupidity. Mine was simply generated from anger, and I think that was quite obvious.

Picture this.

You tell someone you want to paint a picture of a sunset, but you don't know what color to paint the sky. Should you toss in a little purple? Maybe some orange could accentuate the other colors? So you ask them for advice. You eventually figure out what colors you want in there, then you get ready to begin. You pick up a brush, and they swat it out of your hand and tell you to use a different one. Perhaps one more rounded. You don't want to, you want your own style and stroke patterns in there. You want it done YOUR way. Despite your persistent attempts to educate this person about the way YOU want to paint, they just keep telling you no. Use THIS brush. It's annoying as hell. I do believe the majority of people would get angry after experiencing something similar. I know for a fact I can't stand when someone tells me to do it a different way. So, if you think I look less intelligent for succumbing to human nature and expressing my feelings of disgust and disbelief in something/someone so ignorant, then go ahead. I don't mind at all, mostly because it's invalid.

And by the way...

Brush=tuning.
Color=notes.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

If we're so... invalid... and ignorant... and stupid... and whatever else you want to call us, why did you come to ask us in the first place?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Just play around to find the right pitch, in the time you've spent here you could have found multiple ways to play it...
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Quote by truespin

If you are so incredibly well educated that you can (gasp) rewrite the whole song, why don't you just play it your own way instead of chasing another band's sound?

Don't put words in my mouth.

And to switch from Standard to Drop D takes about two seconds. Fret one note, strike two strings, twist a tuning key, and bam!

I can't put vibrato on an open string. I don't like the feel of tight strings, I don't like the feel of loose strings. I love the 9-42s I have on, I don't want any more or any less tension. Therefore, I'm sticking with these in standard. The end.

I'm not telling you you shouldn't play the song, I'm just telling you that you're adding excessive difficulty trying to play it the way another band plays it without tuning the way they tune.

No, I play everything with ease except the pinch harmonic, because I have no idea where it is. I'm not making ANYTHING difficult. I can play a LOT of songs that are half step down without straying from standard at all. So, as soon as one song ends in itunes, and the next one begins and is tuned differently, I don't have to stop it and tune. I just keep on playing, I like the smooth flow.

I respect that you want to play in standard, because I prefer standard tuning too. But I know that in standard it's harder to play songs written in Drop D (or C) and you know what? I stay away from those songs, especially if they include open low chugs.

I'm not staying away from this song, and songs written in drop D or C or whatever tuning are playable in standard for the most part. Changes made by the musician are innovative and unique their style and taste. Do not try to hinder that. Innovation and uniqueness were NEVER bad things.

If you read back several posts, you'll notice I've offered you a way to find the note you're looking for. Experiment! Play with finding that harmonic by moving your pinch towards the neck or towards the bridge on any given string. There are only x-amount of harmonic nodes, so it would likely have shown you the harmonic (if indeed it could be reached in this tuning) at some point, and possibly faster than trying to prove to the world that you're some kind of guitar virtuoso because you refuse to retune or own a second guitar.

Again, do not put words in my mouth. I never stated I was a guitar virtuoso. I already said. I AM NOT FORKING OUT HUNDREDS FOR A GUITAR I WILL PLAY ONE SONG ON. I don't even have enough money for another guitar. OK? Ok! I also stated that I like the flow of being able to play any song in standard, even if you have to go up an octave or cut out a root note for it to sound in key.

Why do you expect one of us to sit here and fight with the guitar and the harmonic nodes to try to find the note for you when you won't do it yourself?

If you read MY posts, I asked for someone who was educated on the concept of harmonics to assist me. I never asked anyone to experiment with harmonics. I was hoping some helpful member who knew what they were talking about would drop by. Tough luck today, huh?

I play it, like I said, detuned a full step, off the low E instead of the A, (which is then a D!), and palm mute the shortened chords instead of shortening them. It produces a KSE-like chug for the primary riffs, and doesn't lose the Dio flavor. However, I leave the harmonics out primarily because they just don't fit the tune as far as I can see, and even though I am tuned to the same tuning as they are (almost, anyway) I can't hit the same harmonics they do. Mostly because it's not worth it to me to find them.

Well, I'd like to be able to hit them. I like the sound of them, and there's only one left for me to find. So, to each their own, right? Stop being ignorant. Now.

Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Quote by sg-rocker173
2. I'm sure there's someone out there who does. I realize I'd be able to find out if I sat down and experimented... However, I figured it'd be easier to see if anyone knew. And you know, I didn't ask for the ignorance to pour down in this thread...

3. I can reply however I want. Swearing in no way diminishes your intellectual level. It's all perception and stereotype. Words are words. We use them to express ourselves. I put my expression out there, and I don't regret that one bit. Having an arsenal of words at your disposal, and telling someone that by using specific certain pieces of the language makes you look stupid is just silly. How you use the words is different. Swearing can result from many things. Anger, grievance, excitement, or like you said, stupidity. Mine was simply generated from anger, and I think that was quite obvious.

Even if someone did it's not as simple as just saying "play it at this fret" is it? You would need to know: the scale length of the guitar being used; the gauge of string; the fretted note and exactly where to pick, we just can't tell you because there are too many variables involved.

Swearing makes you look stupid. I'm sorry but it's true, especially in media where you have ample time to regain your composure before replying. Words are for expression yes but if someone ever, ever wrote in a conversation with me the word "innit" in a serious way I'd have to disassociate myself from them because they're obviously thick as two short planks; swearing has much the same effect, only not quite so bad. When you have time to consider a reply you have time to find more specific words that better express what you want to say; I don't object to swearing because it's vulgar, I couldn't care less, but because it shows ignorance of a word that would better express yourself.

The caps certainly didn't help your case either.

Edit: Vibrato on an open string is perfectly possible; you can either do it behind the nut or with a trem, you must be able to do one or the other.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by truespin
If we're so... invalid... and ignorant... and stupid... and whatever else you want to call us, why did you come to ask us in the first place?

I came here for a specific purpose. To find that harmonic in standard tuning. I didn't come here for people to tell me to buy better strings, a new guitar, change the tunings I play in, or change my style of playing.

I came here for ONE thing! To find help by someone who has a nice grasp of harmonic concepts to help me find that harmonic in standard tuning, because I'm sure it's there somewhere. And if it's not, then that person could just go ahead and say that to me. I really didn't make this thread to be annoyed by all the people telling me I need different strings or instruments or whatnot.

Please, just TRY seeing this my way. What harm is there in that? Why can't you just open your ****ing eyes?
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Since you're such a great guitar player, I implore thee...

Why are you asking us? Especially if we're so ignorant?
I just don't get it.
You're great, we suck. I get that part.
But why ask us?

I never said don't innovate, but it's not so innovating if someone else tells you how to do it, is it?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Wow, this is pretty pathetic. Why dont you just calm down, and just experiment around the fretboard to see what gets you closest to the PH that you want. You can't expect anyone to really help you out if you are going to act like a little jerk.
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Even if someone did it's not as simple as just saying "play it at this fret" is it? You would need to know: the scale length of the guitar being used; the gauge of string; the fretted note and exactly where to pick, we just can't tell you because there are too many variables involved.

Swearing makes you look stupid. I'm sorry but it's true, especially in media where you have ample time to regain your composure before replying. Words are for expression yes but if someone ever, ever wrote in a conversation with me the word "innit" in a serious way I'd have to disassociate myself from them because they're obviously thick as two short planks; swearing has much the same effect, only not quite so bad. When you have time to consider a reply you have time to find more specific words that better express what you want to say; I don't object to swearing because it's vulgar, I couldn't care less, but because it shows ignorance of a word that would better express yourself.

The caps certainly didn't help your case either.

Edit: Vibrato on an open string is perfectly possible; you can either do it behind the nut or with a trem, you must be able to do one or the other.

Thanks for the vibrato tip. Behind the nut works pretty well.

I do believe swearing has its purpose bud. I think it portrayed how I felt pretty vividly. If I dropped a hammer on my toes, and yelled ****, I'm pretty sure nobody would look at me wondering how I could be so ignorant. They wouldn't expect me to say "This hammer fell on my toe and it hurts really bad!"

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and humans should never swear again. I know I won't say damn in public anymore in fear of being humiliated intellectually. I don't want an entire crowd of people belittling me in their own mind because they THINK a curse word is intellectually beneath them. -_-

Good day UG, I'll be back tomorrow.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Last edited by sg-rocker173 at Feb 28, 2008,
Quote by truespin
Since you're such a great guitar player, I implore thee...

Why are you asking us? Especially if we're so ignorant?
I just don't get it.
You're great, we suck. I get that part.
But why ask us?

I never said don't innovate, but it's not so innovating if someone else tells you how to do it, is it?

Paste my quote where I state my awesomeness at guitar, and how you all suck at guitar. Please, try to do it. I'd like to see what you find.

I asked UG for someone that could help me find the PH in standard tuning, not for a bunch of people to come in and tell me to change my ways. GOOD DAY.

Someone lock this please.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Your trying to justify cussing on message boards? sure if you drop something on your foot and yell something its because its a natural instinct to yell when you hit your toe.

But if your cussing on a forum over the internet it shows an incapacity to respond in a calm dignified matter. Don't you think that with all the teenagers on these forums the differences people can become annoyed with it?

So chill. By using different tunings your obviously not going to be able to achieve the same sound anyways. So I dont see the point in trying to be exact. Put your own spin on it and make it sound different. You mind as well
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Its going to be impossible for anyone to tell you where that harmonic is at..mainly because most people play the song in Drop C. But not only that...we really don't know anything about the guitar you are using..besides the string gauges and the fact that you are in standard tuning. String gauge plays a big part in the sound of a PH. For example, I have an Ibanez RG321 tuned CGCFAD...so does our rhythm guitarist...my strings are heavier...my pickups are different...you get different sounding PH's from the very same guitars. I've read all of your posts and I understand that the song may sound fine to you in standard tuning, but finding that sweet spot for the pinch is going to take some experimenting on your part.