A friend of mine is buying an electric, so as his first electric, what should he get? Budget of around $350.00 (USD) I told him to get an SG.
I'll just assume that he needs to buy all the accessories I mentioned earlier.

I'd advise him to go with an epiphone sg-310 or an Ibanez GAX30 or a yamaha pacifica 112. Add a marshall MG15 and some quality cable together with a good tuner (let's say Korg) and your friend is ready to go. If you don't want the marshall (though it's a decent amp considering size and costs) you can go with a 15w Ibanez amp as well. Just make sure not to buy an even smaller amp (10w) as they have smaller speakers usually, which make a huge difference concerning the sound.
I think mg's are just fine for the money. But don't buy a peavy practice amp, they are about the worst sounding amps I have ever heard.
Quote by TheQuailman
I think mg's are just fine for the money. But don't buy a peavy practice amp, they are about the worst sounding amps I have ever heard.

To buy an MG you are basically saying forget the microcube, forget the vox da5, or even an epi valve junior isn't much more. Now why anyone would choose an mg over those...i don't know?
Marshall MG and Line 6 Spider III-series are NOT good. Don't ever buy them. Ever. Totally crap.
I agree with getting a MicroCube or the small Vox. I have played them both recently and prefer the Vox only slightly over the cube. (Ironic that they are $10 more? Nah.) The amount of features and "bang" for the buck is huge.

Starter strat or SG, with either you can swap out pick ups later to improve the sound as budget allows.